Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Powder metering tips

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I agree. It is kind of silly and he is really trading apples for apples when using the term meter. I consider a meter to measure something when in reality, the scale is the powder meter and like he states, it should be called a powder dispenser.
    No, no. A "Dispenser" is one of those things that automatically feeds powder out onto a scale until the desired weight is reached.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Ol' Glen is pretty sharp, but making up terms is annoying. I have been using a powder MEASURE for several decades and he can't make me call it a "meter."

Any road, the ten (or 20) drop sample is good on single stage loading because scale error is figured on the full range and has a much greater effect at the low end.
    But how well does it work on a progressive? The cycling of the machinery has an effect on the powder settling into the measure cavity and I would not expect consecutive manual function to deliver the same amount.
    I reload on a RL 550, so everything is the same (vibrations, etc.) in the loading cycle when I take out the cases with powder to weight the charges and check the consistency.

I have even checked the effect of the powder level on the measure (it has only one baffle at the bottom, no extra ones), with small grained powders there is zero effect as long as you are one inch or more above the baffle.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post

Has anyone tried his method of setting the scale up for 10 times the charge weight and throwing 10 charges for a total?
    That is a suggestion I got from talking with Brian Enos when I ordered my Dillon press years ago. He said if he drops 4 charges and the average is where he wants it, load.

With small grained powders in my Dillon RL550, I get close to exactly the same weight every time. Perhaps one or two throws in ten is 0.1 grain off, measured carefully with a balance beam scale.

None of this matters for "normal" shooting, the pistol will group almost exactly the same (and POI will normally be the same) at 25 yds with some rounds loaded with +/-0.2 grains of powder.

I'll often throw 10-20 charges and then weigh and divide to get an average when setting up the powder measure on my 550. If you go by any one individual charge, you'll be chasing tenths back and forth forever. Perfection is the enemy of good enough. Consistency helps a ton for sure. I usually toss the first 10 throws back in the hopper, if it's been sitting for a while, or after refilling, just to help things settle to "normal" during operation.

User Tag List