Thread: S&W 19-3 front sight help

S&W 19-3 front sight help

Of all the guns that I’ve owned and “ lost” over the years the only one I still literally dream about still owning is an old NYPD trade in 681 from over 25 years ago. I really thought I’d replace it with a 686 SSR because I just find them sexy. But like most people I’m not fond of those darn Smith holes in the side plate. I figured I’d look hard for a mechanically sound, used but not abused model 28 or 27 at a somewhat reasonable price. I really wasn’t looking at 19’s because even though I won’t run a steady diet of magnums I had no way of knowing what the previous owner/s have done. I’m no revolver expert and buying used on gunbroker worried me a little because I wasn’t as comfortable knowing what to look at unlike a semi auto. Then low and behold this beautiful 19-3 came up on armslist somewhat locally. The price wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either. However seeing it live I was confident it may have had very few magnum rounds through it. I instantly fell in love with it. First 100 rounds of 38 special and I knew I’d have a hard time figuring out which child to leave it to. I actually thought I’d look at another 19-5 from armslist that had the red insert in the front sight blade but I heard how much the pinned barrels and recessed chambers were in demand so I opted for the 19-3. I have no regrets and love it but my eyes are no where near as good as they were. I know lots of people used lots of black fronts with black rears for years with no problem. But even wearing glasses all these Ameriglo, Trijicon HD, hi viz front sights have made it a pain shooting this plain black front sight. I figured a few coats of Testors white and orange paint on the front sight was the way to go. If this was a gun that had been carried more and had more wear and tear it would have been done already. But since this thing was in such good shape and going to be a safe queen relegated to heavy range use I didn’t want to cause any irreversible damage to the value. I figure it’s just the front sight so the blueing on the barrel should be fine. If I do need to remove the Testors paint will it come off cleanly from the front sight or is there a better option for highlighting the front sight? And for those that are curious here are some gratuitous pics. Thanks for any help with the sight.

Name:  EC183A9D-2765-49FA-B48B-00769AC44B03.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  60.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   

First of all congrats on the 19 that is a nice find. As far as removing testors goes I have done it on a few blued guns with no ill effects. I did so with some rubbing alcohol, a rag, and some elbow grease. If it’s gonna be a gun that stays in the family and will be shot I say why not make it more manageable for your eyes.

Beautiful revolver! The Testors treatment is what I would recommend to allow you to see the front sight well without permanently altering the gun (which would definitely reduce its value). I have put paint on and taken paint off of many blued front sights with no problems. Congrats and enjoy!

I've used fingernail polish remover.

Congratulations on your revolver.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Nail polish works well. Lay down a couple of white base coats before applying the top color. For basic red or orange, you can find that at the Blue & Gold Big Box of Evil for a buck or so. If you want to pay a little more, you can get "glow in the dark" nail polish for a top coat. It'll all clean off quickly with a little nail polish remover (acetone).

It's a great way to experiment with colors.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List