Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Frequency

I take as many classes as I can afford to and reasonably get to. Some by bigger names in the industry (Givens, Gabe White, Citizens Defense Research), and some by more local instructors who usually attend the same training with the "bigger names" with me. In the last few years, I've averaged 2 classes with the bigger names, and another 3-4 with the local trainers. Hoping to ramp up the part with the local trainers this year, as this area has a decent amount to offer.

I shoot a monthly match at my local outdoor gun club as much as I can. Sadly, things haven't lined up for me to make it to one yet this year.

I try to get to my local outdoor range for a couple hours of practice most weekends. Probably only missed this a few times this year, so far.

I think one can be safe and decently proficient with much less. I am personally to continue getting better at shooting and the "games" side of things (which I do with my carry gear).
    Last edited by martin_j001; 06-04-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Tamara tweeted the below which reminded me of this thread...

People somehow get "classes", "training", and "matches" confused, which is weird. One is where you learn skills, one is where you practice skills, and one is where you test skills.
    I thought that people confused training, practice, and competition.

In my world-view, 'practice' is different than 'training'.

To me, well-conducted 'classes' probably means 'training', but after the class - or the match - either on your own or in a group, you've then got to 'practice'.

Training Frequency

I shoot classes every month, train every week, and shoot matches when I can (which boils down to mostly Rangemaster events) as IDPA shoots are here on Tuesday and Thursday nights. GSSF is the first Monday of the month I recently discovered, which I’ll do if given the chance.

I’m with John Hearne...I go to classes to learn new things, bridge new material to old, and perfect technique under the tutelage of master diagnosticians. I get something golden out of every class.

I wrote about one of my recent training experiences here, where I had some epiphanies. Some might see it as hair splitting, but others who, “get it,” will understand:

https://civiliandefender.com/2018/06...ave-spaulding/

civiliandefender.com
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 06-04-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    I used to try to go to one or two major classes a year. Life intervenes so that's that for travel away from home. However, I will take a good class nearby, esp. if there is a well known and respected guest. I like new perspectives or to learn about a specialized gun usage.

For practice and competition (not training, I know), I try to shoot one or two IDPA, steel, close range or carbine matches a month. So about 2 to 3 from that array. I agree that having a pro watch your technique is a very good thing.

I usually don't go to the square range, unless I find a glitch that I think I can self-diagnose (maybe) and work out plus trying out a new gun or sight.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 06-04-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Once a year I will take a "level 1" type class from different instructors to learn some new ideas, but more importantly to have someone be able to critique any laziness I may have picked up while practicing or competing on my own. I also try to fit in some shoot house, vehicle, or FoF where I can.

I'm not as serious, or seriously committed, as many on this forum, and I do not carry every day due to numerous lifestyle circumstances----some of my choosing; some thrust upon me. I just realized that I have not been to a formal course of instruction in five years. However, I perform dry work (i.e., drawing, trigger presses, magazine reload) at least 3 times per week and make it to the range for live fire roughly twice per month.

I train as often as I can, probably once month.
    Sometimes with companies like Sig Sauer and Rangemaster.
    But mostly with locals like Onsight Firearm Training
    and M.D.T.S. Training.
    The classes I attend the round count
    is usually around 400 to 500.
    Then I practice once a week what I have learned.
    I spend about an hour or two at my
    local range shooting around 200 rounds.
    Last edited by TopShot; 06-05-2018 at 01:10 PM.

When I was attending classes a lot, I saw (and experimented with) a few different approaches to this. I've now come to see a difference between "training" and "practice". Or even adding a third option of "instruction" to the list.
    Instruction: actually receiving guidance and correction from a focused external non-participant instructor
    Training: like practice, but more formal or with a group
    Practice: almost entire self-guided shooting

FWIW, most of what people engage in at training classes is glorified "training" based on the above definitions. For a long time I mistook it for instruction, until I got actual instruction.

My opinion now is that you need then in the order listed, with increased frequency as you go down the list. So you might get instruction once in a lifetime, training once a year, and practice once a month. Or if you're more dedicated and/or serious, instruction once a year, training once a quarter, practice once a week.

Where competition fits in this approach depends on your goal for competing. If competing is the end-state then it's not practice. Or, the highest level at which you compete doesn't count as practice. So if your goal is to excel at regional matches then local matches are practice (likely along with other solo practice) whereas if your goal is to own the local range and never travel then the local matches are no longer practice. If ninja-skills are the end-goal, then pretty much all competition is practice and you can use that as your reason for doing poorly in the results (I took that attitude for years).

Some folks have a combined goal of both placing well at matches *and* sharpening their ninja skills, at which point some of the definitions get blurry.

Site Supporter
    I try to get in at least one training class a year now after a decades long draught. Did three classes (handgun, carbine,and shotgun)last year with Ben DeWalt aka OnSight Firearms Training. Was signed up for the Revolver Round up with Darryl and Wayne but had to cancel due to an unforeseen circumstance. Hope to do the Revolver Round up and a carbine class in 2019.

Site Supporter
    My goal since early this year was to take one "gun's" worth (think new G19 or mid-range rifle, not Colt Python) of training each year. That can be 1-3 classes depending on the class. I've taken one class this year and have another one scheduled for next month. They don't have to be Handgun or CCW oriented, they can be rifle, shotgun, handgun, hand-to-hand, first aid, etc. I started with a shotgun class. My upcoming class is handgun. I really want to get a good hand-to-hand class in next year. I should take first aid of some sort, but had plenty of that in Scouts, so I'm not completely clueless, just out of practice.

Chris

User Tag List