Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training Frequency

Training Frequency

I’m just curious how many formal training courses people here average per year? Specifically in the context of being safe and proficient (above average) for concealed carry?

Do you include IDPA type matches within this or consider it different, but applicable?

Site Supporter
    I try for one class a year. I've also made it a priority to shoot more. I go to the range almost every week. Last year, I think I shot about 6x as much as the previous year. Now I just need to have more structure in my weekly practice sessions.

Matches do not count as training in my opinion.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

You only need to take one, good solid course if you goal is to be safe and proficient for concealed carry. The key is that you must regularly practice what you learned in that class. You'll need to do a lot of work at the onset to ingrain the skills and then work to maintain them.

Take a guy who's only ever taken a 250 at Gunsite, say back in the 80's, so of course he's using "antiquated technique." But he's dry practiced 2-3 times a week and shoots every 2-3 weeks. I don't want to mess with that guy. He may not win an IDPA match but he's going to have the skills part of the equation sorted out.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    You only need to take one, good solid course if you goal is to be safe and proficient for concealed carry. The key is that you must regularly practice what you learned in that class. You'll need to do a lot of work at the onset to ingrain the skills and then work to maintain them.

Take a guy who's only ever taken a 250 at Gunsite, say back in the 80's, so of course he's using "antiquated technique." But he's dry practiced 2-3 times a week and shoots every 2-3 weeks. I don't want to mess with that guy. He may not win an IDPA match but he's going to have the skills part of the equation sorted out.
    Understood, thanks!

I shot my first IDPA match (first ever of any kind) last Sunday, and thought it was a lot of fun, and I plan to shoot more of that.

Banned
    I'm not sure if this counts but every 3 months my church has a professional trainer come in and go over what I consider to be the basic fundamentals with the people on the security team. Friday night is always a couple hours of dry practice reloads and safely moving with a gun in your hand and familiarization with the building. Saturday is always a timed qualification and practice drawing from concealment. Then they have us do some moving stuff with the shoot/no shoot targets or they'll get out one of the targets with different numbered and colored circles, squares and triangles and have us practice on those. Sometimes they'll call out "Orange Rectangle" to make us stop and think.

It's not Gunsite but I feel like I'm better prepared because I get to do it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    I’m just curious how many formal training courses people here average per year? Specifically in the context of being safe and proficient (above average) for concealed carry?

Do you include IDPA type matches within this or consider it different, but applicable?
    Matches are valuable, but they aren’t training or practice.

Training classes teach you what / how to practice and hopefully give you outside feed back from a competent instructor to correct issues. You then need to work on those via practice. Matches are valuable as a test - the competitive and social stress highlight flaws and helps keep our practice honest.

I try to attend at least on or two outside trainings per year.

Frequency of practice is important. I try to have a plan for my range trips, allowing 1-2 hour sessions every week or every other week to work on specific things vs sporadic “days at the range.” My model being 50 rounds a week is a better use of 500 rounds that 500 in one day every couple months.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-03-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Competency starts with training and continues with practice. When trasitionally training in the Corps from infantry to battalion recon we were heavily trained in close quarter combat, that is, fighting an adversary at 10 yards or less. The pistol was the,preferred weapon at,thatdistance becausnits size did notminhibit movement. Once we got the basic down we procticedmover and over again. A hundred hours of practice folowed ten hours of training.

It is all about developing muscle memory. Your mind and body have to be in synch, and that means your body has to react almost as fast as your mind. The first shotmfor distraction, decreasing your profile, identifying cover, shoot and scoot all become rote with a few hundred hours of practice. yes practice is training, but once you get the gist of the techniques training can be done without paying. You do not need to live fire to practice things like diminishing your tatget profile, taking cover under attack, shooting and moving. You only need to understand the principle and then employ it in practice. Winning A gun fight is not contingent on how many rounds you fire. It is contingent on avoidant being shot and then shooting the adversary because you understand gunfighting better than he does.

X

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Competency starts with training and continues with practice. When trasitionally training in the Corps from infantry to battalion recon we were heavily trained in close quarter combat, that is, fighting an adversary at 10 yards or less. The pistol was the,preferred weapon at,thatdistance becausnits size did notminhibit movement. Once we got the basic down we procticedmover and over again. A hundred hours of practice folowed ten hours of training.

It is all about developing muscle memory. Your mind and body have to be in synch, and that means your body has to react almost as fast as your mind. The first shotmfor distraction, decreasing your profile, identifying cover, shoot and scoot all become rote with a few hundred hours of practice. yes practice is training, but once you get the gist of the techniques training can be done without paying. You do not need to live fire to practice things like diminishing your tatget profile, taking cover under attack, shooting and moving. You only need to understand the principle and then employ it in practice. Winning A gun fight is not contingent on how many rounds you fire. It is contingent on avoidant being shot and then shooting the adversary because you understand gunfighting better than he does.

X
    I’m seeing some Clint Smith-like thinking in there, which is great. He’s amazing, and it would be nice to get to one of his classes one day.
    Thanks for sharing, a great thread so far!

Tamara tweeted the below which reminded me of this thread...

People somehow get "classes", "training", and "matches" confused, which is weird. One is where you learn skills, one is where you practice skills, and one is where you test skills.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Tamara tweeted the below which reminded me of this thread...

People somehow get "classes", "training", and "matches" confused, which is weird. One is where you learn skills, one is where you practice skills, and one is where you test skills.
    True but, beyond a certain point, classes are also where you go to get your current skills reviewed by a skilled coach/diagnostician to make sure subtle errors haven't crept in to your technique.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List