Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Training Frequency

Quote Originally Posted by Sig66 View Post
    I’m just curious how many formal training courses people here average per year? Specifically in the context of being safe and proficient (above average) for concealed carry?

Do you include IDPA type matches within this or consider it different, but applicable?
    If you are just going to go to training classes - probably 3-4 a year. You'll get trained up.....skill were deteriorate but before it getst too bad you're back in a class again.

Some people only shoot in a class and if that's the case, many classes are important for them. Many higher level shooters don't go to any training classes...
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 09-17-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    A71593

I go to a formal course every month and a half or so. That’s just concealed carry type classes. I’ve done a few more this year, because I’ve purposefully tried to get into classes with the Deans of our community who I worry might unexpectedly retire or leave the business in the immediate future. I dry-practice regularly, and soon I’ll be back on the IDPA circuit/routine.

I’m not counting my PD in-service training (40 hours) nor any of the other extra-curricular LE training courses I pay for myself.

I spend a lot of time learning. Probably more than I should...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I took 8 courses over 4 years, but haven't been to any since 2016. If I had to tell someone else what to do, I'd recommend taking at least one class a year that pushes you out of your comfort zone, at whatever skill level that may be.

There's no right answer to this, of course. Lately I've been averaging 5-7 classes/year. In my case, these are spread over handgun, shotgun, carbine, sometimes medical, edged weapons, unarmed combatives, legal aspects, etc. This year I have put a heavy emphasis on pistol work, but next year I hope to spend less time on square range pistol work and more on some tactical applications, perhaps force-on-force, etc.

In my case, classes provide me with not only the chance to work under the watchful eyes of those wiser than me, but also the chance to just do things I cannot do at my local ranges or matches.

User Tag List