Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E vs Nightforce NX8 vs Steiner M6xi

Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E vs Nightforce NX8 vs Steiner M6xi

My teamates and I have been discussing the usefulness of LPV in LEO applications. The money is not allocated for dept purchase (yet!) so I’m planning on buying my own as a proof of concept. I’m down to three scopes: the Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E, the Nightforce NX8 or the Steiner M6xi. Can anyone offer some input so I don’t waste my money and time?
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 06-03-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Got the 1-6 razor HD gen II JM about 2 years ago.

Proof concept for me is if you can’t see it you can’t shoot it - so more X is almost always going to be better.

At the time it had the best glass (imo) of the other 1-6s I considered. The ones you list weren’t on my list at the time.

What I can say about the razor - on 1x it does shoot very much like a red dot. The 1moa red dot in the reticle is daylight bright. I left mine on for 2 months at #3 brightness before the battery died. It has an off between each illumination so getting it on is fast.

Glass is clean and clear and at 6X the JM reticle does a good job at putting stuff where you want it.

It is heavy though and I’m totally ignorant to the newer model optics that have come out since then.
    Last edited by Duke; 06-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Ive got a NX8 that I bought a few months ago on my BCA upper. The eye box seems a little tight but I've run it at Mike's carbine match on 1x without any problems. I'm in Austin and I'll be happy to let you shoot it at ARC any weekend.

PM if interested.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E vs Nightforce NX8 vs Steiner M6xi

My must have list for a 1-x optic:

True 1x
    True daylight bright illumination
    Usable reticle at 1x w/o illumination

I personally prefer FFP because it makes it easier to lead moving targets at any mag. I also prefer a mil/mil scope.

I don’t love the Vortex Razor. It checks most of my boxes but is overpriced for what you get, and is heavy for no good reason.

No experience with the other two scopes, but make sure you can return whatever you buy. You can tell a lot by looking through a scope before mounting.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-03-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    My teamates and I have been discussing the usefulness of LPV in LEO applications. The money is not allocated for dept purchase (yet!) so I’m planning on buying my own as a proof of concept. I’m down to three scopes: the Vortex Razor 1-6 Gen II-E, the Nightforce NX8 or the Steiner M6xi. Can anyone offer some input so I don’t waste my money and time?

I'd be happy to assist you on your decision if you wanted to give us a call at 916-670-1103, plus I have them in stock and get you one shipped out today. We've been discussing these scopes in these two threads here:
    Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6 Review with some SR-15 thrown in. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....R-15-thrown-in.
    Nightforce 1-8 discussion https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....1-8-discussion
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Seriously, just call @CS Tactical.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Seriously, just call @CS Tactical.
    This.

I finally got my NX8 that I bought from them mounted up over the weekend and so far doing dry fire practice I love it. The eyebox is a little tighter than some other options I was looking at but the awesome reticle and being FFP more than makes up for it. At 1x as long as my face is touching my stock it's good to go though.

Can’t recommend CS enough, I’ve purchased several optics through them.

Having time behind 2 (NF and Vortex) of the 3 optics you mention, my choice would be the Vortex. As a NF fanboy, it does hurt to say that. Haha

A carbine will spend most of its life being shot at 1x, so a more forgiving eyebox is what your looking for. Especially when fired from field positions.

I have plenty of time behind FFP and dual focal plane optics and FFP on a LPVO isn’t a need for me. My mil reticle is accurate at 6x, and if I’m using the mil reticle for longer shots.....it’s on 6x.

Chuck Pressberg had a Q&A recently where he addressed this subject, and the NF NX8. He has a wealth of knowledge on the subject, FAR more than I, but my limited experience matches his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy that was central in his department’s adoption of LPVO’s came to the conclusion that the number one choice was: Vortex Razor HD 1-6. Second was the Leupold MK6 1-6. He gave my personal picks honorable mention. But, for care free, duty ready optics, said those were the 2 (and that the Vortex was head and shoulder above the Leupold).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Leupold Mk6 CMR-W on an 18" rifle. Excellent scope.

I can't agree with you about preferring the Vortex. The Leupold glass is better, and I prefer the CMR-W reticle by far. Plus the Mk6 is much lighter in weight. And is FFP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Buddy that was central in his department’s adoption of LPVO’s came to the conclusion that the number one choice was: Vortex Razor HD 1-6. Second was the Leupold MK6 1-6. He gave my personal picks honorable mention. But, for care free, duty ready optics, said those were the 2 (and that the Vortex was head and shoulder above the Leupold).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-04-2018 at 10:09 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List