Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent ND while dancing

#RESIST

Well when the FBI gets done with him, this guy has a bright future in the holster development industry!

“We here at Brand X holsters have placed an emphasis on performance! Our holsters will retain your firearm in even the most athletic circumstances!” (Cut to video of Agent Dipshit doing numerous backflips in their testing lab)
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Too soon??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I don't find that odd at all. They will want to dot all their "i's" and cross all their "t's" before making any decisions. There is no rush, so why act rashly?
    The comment was clearly meant tongue in cheek.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That teal is the real deal.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Someone has to say it, "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to do a back flip with a holstered Glock." (Had to be a Fo-tee)

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    So just this weekend we have two videos of situations where a DA pistol likely would have prevented gunshot wounds.

Regarding this specific incident:

There's a bunch of learning potential in this incident.

It's really easy to dismiss this one because the agent was doing some stupid shit that resulted in his gun becoming public. Don't try to do hand stands or white-boy twerk and your gun is a lot less likely to flop to the ground. Maybe adjust the tension on your holster so it will actually hold on to the pistol if you are in something other than a vertical position. These are the low hanging fruit.

The thing is, though, one need not be doing dumb shit for their gun to become public. I've had a holster break on me in the middle of a supermarket in such a way that my pistol very nearly became public.

When your concealed weapon is now on the floor and you sure as hell didn't put it there, it would be fair to say that you would be experiencing a sudden onset of stress.

The thing about human beings is that our OH SHIT monkey brain gets to work the controls. It gets to work the controls in highly stressful situations that we aren't carefully prepared for. Like maybe our gun suddenly becoming public.

John Hearne pointed out something incredibly useful: Dude grabbed the gun weak hand. Likely because he was in full OH SHIT mode and the monkey brain had one concern: get that gun back, NOW. How many of us practice picking our pistol up from the ground weak handed in a safe and controlled manner? If you are a training junkie like some of us, you've done it some in class settings. Some of us may have even done it under the stress of a timer and an audience. How many reps of that would you estimate that the FBI agent had?

The bad things happen when human hands being run by a mind that isn't running at full capacity touches the gun. Either because we are not handling the weapon with attention and intention due to complacency and/or fatigue, or because we're under some unfamiliar stress and our monkey brain is at the controls trying to do something that is unfamiliar to us.

Some engineering decisions bring with them real consequences when actual human beings in this state handle guns. Some guns have a larger margin for error in handling mistakes without getting a loud noise than others. Glocks have one of the narrowest margins for error of any handgun on the market and yet they're issued like candy to minimally trained people across the country. "It's a training issue!" only goes so far when we examine the realities of human beings handling deadly instruments. Maybe we need to actually start talking about those realities more and the role equipment selection plays in reducing or increasing the risks.

I mean, let's break out the hard to swallow pills here: This FBI agent was better trained than the vast majority of people issued a sidearm in the country and certainly better trained than the vast majority of honest citizens packing a sidearm for personal defense.

I want it to be abundantly clear, here, that I'm not shitting on these guys: But it seems to me that if people like Mas and Chuck P. can experience an unintentional discharge with a firearm, I sure as fuck can. And it can happen to me the very next time I handle a firearm.

I saw this video and laughed like everybody else at first. Then I watched it a couple more times and started to really think about what I was seeing and it scares the shit out of me. I even had something of a nightmare last night where I dreamed I unintentionally discharged a shotgun in a class setting.

Personally these incidents make me start looking really hard at how and why I'm doing things.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    When an innocent someone is actually shot and injured by a known offender, under these types of circumstances, the victim controls whether or not charges are filed. I wasn’t there so I’m not going to pretend to know what was said between the investigating officer(s) and victim, but if the victim wanted the charge filed it would have been.
    What would the charge be? Doesn't assault require recklessness at minimum? And discharge offenses require intent, correct? If he was drinking, I would see UCW intoxication being workable, but otherwise... could you expand on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Quite a few concealed carry holsters are not certified as drunken back flip proof I think.
    Motorcycle and car accidents are great tests of a holster's retention capacity and an unfortunate fact of modern life for concealed carriers. When I had to lay down my bike (my fault as I totally misjudged a turn with gravel on the road), a revolver (S&W M442) in my front pocket in a Kramer pocket holster ended up on the ground. I was amazed that the gun came out of my pocket. The 1911-pattern pistol in a Sparks VM-2 was still in the holster.

No dance tricks are needed for a gun to make an unwanted appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The only federal agency I'm aware of with a list of mandatory approved holsters on and off duty is CBP.
    Mine used to - and it was basically Safariland plus the usual leather makers (Fobus was banned), but now that there are so many holster makers the Firearms Unit approves each holster on a case by case basis. You must qualify with a holster first, so they have a chance to inspect it first.

The Raven trigger guard things and the Serpa are not approved, and Fobus remains banned. Everything else seems to receive approval. They might ixnay some flimsy IWB holster but I'm not sure.

User Tag List