Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent ND while dancing

There's a thing on the weekends where you often pick up a gun with a bunch of people staring at you.

Some people in this thread are saying this event wouldn't have happened if he had a TDA gun.

I'll posit that it wouldn't have happened if he regularly attended those events.

If possible I prefer software solutions.

It is human nature to look to validate your own beliefs. If you carry a DA/SA, you see this as a hardware problem. If you are a striker guy, you probably see this as a software problem.

Very similar to the recent G43 ND, where those that dislike appendix carry, see this incident as “proof” for their belief.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is human nature to look to validate your own beliefs. If you carry a DA/SA, you see this as a hardware problem. If you are a striker guy, you probably see this as a software problem.

Very similar to the recent G43 ND, where those that dislike appendix carry, see this incident as “proof” for their belief.
    I agree. And yet, finger inside the trigger guard when/while retrieving* a stationary weapon will always** be a software problem.

* wouldn't that prefix mean that one is actually 'trieving' ... again?

** Yeah, someone is bound to come up with an exception... finger was blown off and remains inside trigger guard.. some minute yet greater than zero probability scenario.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

It's both. You can be safe with a striker fired gun. You just have less margin for error. You can be dangerous with a DA/SA or manual safety equipped gun. You just have to work harder at it. Appendix is more dangerous. For proof, I offer that I have had zero fatal self inflicted shootings with strong side carry and have more than zero fatal self inflicted shootings with appendix carry. Of course you can do it safely, but the stakes are raised for any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I agree. And yet, finger inside the trigger guard when/while retrieving* a stationary weapon will always** be a software problem.
    :
    Of course it is. But, let's trot that out to the extreme. If I had a 1.5 lb trigger, as long as I was perfect with my "software" it'd never be an issue. Yet we all recognize that a 1.5 lb trigger is incredibly stupid for a carry gun. Why? Well, we know we *aren't* perfect and have the capacity to screw the pooch in old ways and new and exciting ways. We train and practice to approach 0%, but we can't get there. Hardware and software are not equal in the "what screwed this up" equation, but they are both present.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 06-06-2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

If you carry a DA/SA, you see this as a hardware problem. If you are a striker guy, you probably see this as a software problem.
    I carry and compete with DA/SA and I see it as a software problem. Safe habits are important.

While common sense suggests a DA/SA should be safer than a striker, I was quite interested in the Front Sight ND data, that shows accidental shootings (of self) were evenly distributed between DA/SA, 1911 and striker, despite my belief that striker pistols represented a high percentage of pistols used there.

Where the DA/SA pistols seem to bite, is when they are not decocked, and the shooter applies ten pounds of pressure to an expected twelve pound trigger, and unintentionally presses a four pound DA trigger. Sure that is avoidable with proper technique, but couldn’t the same be said for almost every ND irrespective of action type?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The way he stumbled forward when he picked up the gun, I'm not so sure a DA trigger would have prevented this ND.

I'm speculating about this event, not broader DA vs SF discussion.
    David S.

One of the IPSC nationals (IIRC, Park City, UT 1978 or so) had a "Guatemalan Steakhouse" stage. The start was with the shooter seated at a table, the pistol laying thereon, with the grip pointed away from the shooter's dominant side, and covered with a napkin. On the whistle, the shooter would remove the napkin, flip the pistol over, pick it up, and shoot the targets.

SOF's Bob Brown managed to put a round through the table. No harm done other than that. Jeff Cooper drew a circle around the hole with a magic marker and wrote "this is a bad thing" on the table.

I resume the pistol was a 1911 as that is about all anyone was using back then.

I wasn't there, but that's the story I got from a friend who was.

Rosco

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The way he stumbled forward when he picked up the gun, I'm not so sure a DA trigger would have prevented this ND.

I'm speculating about this event, not broader DA vs SF discussion.
    The human factors measurements folk demonstrated that a stumble can cause a clench that will pull DA semi and revolver triggers. It's in a few articles and books.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The human factors measurements folk demonstrated that a stumble can cause a clench that will pull DA semi and revolver triggers. It's in a few articles and books.
    Don't have author/title/page number but I'm pretty sure you can get up to 50 lbs of clinch in a good startle.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List