Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI agent ND while dancing

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Motorcycle and car accidents are great tests of a holster's retention capacity and an unfortunate fact of modern life for concealed carriers. When I had to lay down my bike (my fault as I totally misjudged a turn with gravel on the road), a revolver (S&W M442) in my front pocket in a Kramer pocket holster ended up on the ground. I was amazed that the gun came out of my pocket. The 1911-pattern pistol in a Sparks VM-2 was still in the holster.

No dance tricks are needed for a gun to make an unwanted appearance.
    When I was sprinting after my dog a couple years back and took a header on gravel, my Glock, perfectly secured in a DSG AIWB holster was seemingly the only thing that wasn't torn or banged up when I made my way to the ER for multiple stitches in both hands. Torso had plenty of bruises and abrasions but the holster and gun were completely unmarked.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Someone has to say it, "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to do a back flip with a holstered Glock." (Had to be a Fo-tee)
    I am just trying to envision the number of weeks to recover from even attempting this on my part, including fun filled crawls to the bathroom from the bed because my back is so messed up...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That teal is the real deal.
    Except that he’s a Mallard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmetallurgy View Post
    What would the charge be? Doesn't assault require recklessness at minimum? And discharge offenses require intent, correct? If he was drinking, I would see UCW intoxication being workable, but otherwise... could you expand on that?
    Negligence comes to mind.

“The look that does not see.” Been there; done that. DA revolver. Safe direction and safe backstop saved the day.

Lesson: SEE, while THINKING. Do not just look. I will often add a FEEL check to the visual check.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I'd really like to see the data on that. Not being a jerk, I sincerely would like the data that supports it, for use in training others.
    Peer reviewed, published in journal Applied Ergonomics:
    http://www.forcescience.org/assets/futheranalysis.pdf

(Nobody else on PF should read this as they concluded that DA triggers didn't seem to do much to mitigate UD concerns)
    Last edited by John Hearne; 06-04-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am just trying to envision the number of weeks to recover from even attempting this on my part, including fun filled crawls to the bathroom from the bed because my back is so messed up...
    God will never give you a problem you can’t handle. I’m therefore pretty sure you won’t be tasked with recovering from voluntary dance floor backflips.

#churchofobvious

Speaking of @Mas, I’m pretty sure his tip about stepping on a gun that’s been dropped to retain control of it—albeit in different context—would have been a good... first step for this guy.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Some engineering decisions bring with them real consequences when actual human beings in this state handle guns. Some guns have a larger margin for error in handling mistakes without getting a loud noise than others. Glocks have one of the narrowest margins for error of any handgun on the market and yet they're issued like candy to minimally trained people across the country. "It's a training issue!" only goes so far when we examine the realities of human beings handling deadly instruments. Maybe we need to actually start talking about those realities more and the role equipment selection plays in reducing or increasing the risks.
    I hear what you are saying, but you are singling out Glock unfairly. We also have the M&P, Sig P320, VP9, PPQ and other fully tensioned striker designs of the future that arguably have narrower safety margins.

The gun did what it was designed to do: 1. survive a drop without discharging, 2. reliably discharge when the trigger is pulled. Your post highlights the place of human factors and how a gun should be engineered to account for those factors that we have gone back and forth many times about on this forum. Make it easy to shoot and it is easier to negligently handle, but takes minimal training to bring a lowest common denominator up to speed as far as shooting things goes. Make it harder to shoot and it is a bit safer, but more difficult and more time consuming to train the same level of proficiency for the masses. I know I train a lot of non-Glock pistols in various actions and find it hard to improve on Glock with anything else as far as pure shooting performance goes. But maybe we are focused on the wrong things and the focus shouldn't necessarily be on shooting performance. At least in LE.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but you are singling out Glock unfairly. We also have the M&P, Sig P320, VP9, PPQ and other fully tensioned striker designs of the future that arguably have narrower safety margins.
    None of those other guns requires a trigger pull to disassemble...and for good reason.

The Glock's margin for error in a common and necessary handling procedure is narrower than those other pistols.
    3/15/2016

The John Travolta draw?

User Tag List