Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: FBI agent ND while dancing

A good read on the phenomenon of overcharging:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5121e4054bf8

We have effectively weaponized Title 18 so that everyone is a criminal and the State can use prosecutorial discretion to target its enemies.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I don't know that that's as effective of a tactic as it would initially seem.

As an example, let's say I've got a guy I'd like to put in jail because... well, he's on my shit list. Police pull him over, find two grams of meth in two one-gram bags (>.5 grams is, by statute, seen as for resale in my state) and a scale in the car and $240 in his wallet. I indict him on the B Felony intent to resell charge (depending on the officer and their experience/care, he may well be originally charged as such) rather than the A Misdemeanor simple possession charge. He technically fits the resale statute because of the amount, and the separate bags, the money, and the scale are in theory indicia of resale so I have probable cause (ethical/professional responsibility) to do it.

The reality of that situation is that any defense attorney is going to look at that, laugh, and tell me to give them a misdemeanor or give them a trial date, because unless I get the world's most prosecution-friendly jury and the defense attorney phones it in that day, all I've got is a casual user who -- like apparently everybody who gets pulled over with drugs nowadays -- wants to make sure their dealer didn't screw them and who cashed their paycheck that afternoon. That misdemeanor plea will probably be on their terms as well unless the guy is a complete bag of shit or I've got something else up my sleeve, because I lost credibility with that indictment and they have the leverage of a right to a jury trial.

Now, prosecution is all about leverage -- that I don't dispute at all. Likewise, I don't dispute the motivation to settle things early and often (or the reality that we do that) when we've got a couple hundred case files on our desk. There's a lot that goes into that situation, and yes, some of it is our fault. However, when it comes to pleas, I am not of the opinion -- and it absolutely hasn't been my experience -- that charging bullshit to get a solid lesser is the way to get that leverage.
    I don't think it's an effective tactic, or moral, or ethical. The prevailing attitude seems to be "let's make a deal" and that seems to be primarily used as a means to avoid court time. If the defendant is told, "we'll drop these six charges and only stick you with these two" then they'll assume they're getting off lightly and just plead guilty. I've seen this throughout my career, in the smallest rural courts to the largest district in the state where I now work. Many times it seems as if they'll willingly plead down a homicide to a seat belt violation, just to be rid of it. I'm glad I'm almost out of the game.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-d...-weapon-again/

DENVER -- An FBI agent accused of accidentally dropping and firing his gun while dancing at a Denver nightspot, hitting a bystander in the leg, can carry his weapon again. A judge approved the change to Chase Bishop's release conditions Tuesday.

I’m glad that he wasn’t drunk and that a plea deal is in the works. Charging him with a felony that carries a 5-year minimum makes me think that the prosecutors are high.

Ohio has a lot of stupid gun laws, but surprisingly enough, we have one that fits this situation pretty well with an appropriate punishment.

2903.14 Negligent assault.
    (A) No person shall negligently, by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance as defined in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, cause physical harm to another or to another's unborn.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of negligent assault, a misdemeanor of the third degree.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’m glad that he wasn’t drunk and that a plea deal is in the works. Charging him with a felony that carries a 5-year minimum makes me think that the prosecutors are high.
    Well, it is Colorado .....

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Ohio has a lot of stupid gun laws, but surprisingly enough, we have one that fits this situation pretty well with an appropriate punishment.
    I agree with OH’s method of adjudicating that type of situation. I’d love to ask the Denver DA what they hope to accomplish by sending this man to prison for 5 years? How does it serve the public interest? Is their intent to punish him? Are they trying to prevent this special agent from offending again? Is there a need to make an example out of a never event?

With rare exception, I detest attempts at ruining someone’s life based on a snap decision or a single mistake. I’m not saying there should be no consequences, but split second mistakes such as this are not what is wrong with America.
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-11-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Had I been king in that land I would have taken no action unless G man was drunk, and I would not give a shit how it looked. But, that's just me, a guy who rode up on his dinosaur. Now if he had been twerking.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    How do we know what his BAC was? I thought they didn’t release the lab results according to the link posted.

A different article quoted a more definitive statement from the prosecutor’s office regarding his BAC.

User Tag List