Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 264

Thread: FBI agent ND while dancing

  1. #191
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    An ended career and a misdemeanor seems fair enough, because I think that's what would happen to most people. He should get no special treatment because of his agent status, but he shouldn't be treated more harshly because of it either.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-13-2018 at 01:32 PM.

  2. #192
    Site Supporter Bill Nesbitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    I thought FBI were required to carry a gun at all times????

  3. #193
    Hobbyist JAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    He has been authorized by the government to carry a firearm and potentially use it..
    So have I, and Im a salesman.

  4. #194
    Member Gadfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Say this exact same type of thing happens to anyone on here. Lets remove the booze issue, and say you were leaning back in your chair at a Chili's for lunch, and tipped over. Gun spills out. You frantically snatch it up.

    For the sake of discussion, lets say you are a mechanic (or a architect/car salesman/paint contractor/manager of Home Depot). If you are any other profession than LEO, would you lose your job over an accident? Not only lose your job, lose your ability to ever work in the industry again. Would the paint contractor be barred from ever getting a job painting houses again? I would dare say that the mechanic/car salesman/architect/lawyer/contractor would all still have a job, and would not be subject to loss of medical/retirement/employment.

    To say this guy is not being punished is to ignore that he is about to lose everything, and will never work in LE again. Think about your job, and where you are in life. If You had an AD/ND like this, what would you think about losing your job? What would your wife say when you told her that the kids no longer have health insurance? He will eventually find a new job in a different industry in a few months. But it will probably be at a pay cut. Lets assume he just lost 6 months of income until he finds a new job. That's a $40-50k hit he just took. He is not walking away scott free. OH, and the civil suit is soon to follow.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 06-13-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

  5. #195
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    East Greenwich, RI
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    An ended career and a misdemeanor seems fair enough, because I think that's what would happen to most people. He should get no special treatment because of his agent status, but he shouldn't be treated more harshly because of it either.
    It’s been my experience that LE folks tend to get treated more harshly than non-LE when it comes to charges and the courts.

  6. #196
    Member Gadfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    It’s been my experience that LE folks tend to get treated more harshly than non-LE when it comes to charges and the courts.
    If he were doing crooked shit (stealing dope from dealers/molesting female prisoners/money missing from evidence) I totally understand the "held to a higher standard" thing. This wasn't crooked shit...
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

  7. #197
    Negatively Optimistic RevolverRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Baddest part of town...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I thought FBI were required to carry a gun at all times????
    So, I'm wondering if that is part of the charge by the DA is that the bar the agent was in, "Forbids" carrying of weapons? I could see someone getting all hot and bothered since LEOSA does not protect carriers from, "restrictions imposed by private persons on their own private property". BUT - doesn't FBI policy supersede this? I could be wrong, but it seems like it does. Or have we finally arrived at a place where - we now see the intersection of federal law and private property to sufficiently test the limits of LEOSA?
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-13-2018 at 03:38 PM.
    "You can never be too rich, too good looking, or too well armed." - Marcus Kincaid

  8. #198
    I feel bad for the guy. We have all done stupid stuff, and the combination of YouTube videos going viral, and the beating the FBI has recently taken in the court of public opinion, came together to ruin this guy’s life.

    I know someone that set up a Herman Nelson heater to warm a helicopter on -40 northern BC morning, left and went to breakfast with a buddy, and came back to find the helicopter and hangar fully engulfed in flames. He later went on to become one of the most respected helicopter mountain flying instructors in history, and taught for decades.

    Seems like a teachable moment in Denver.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

  9. #199
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Say this exact same type of thing happens to anyone on here. Lets remove the booze issue, and say you were leaning back in your chair at a Chili's for lunch, and tipped over. Gun spills out. You frantically snatch it up.

    For the sake of discussion, lets say you are a mechanic (or a architect/car salesman/paint contractor/manager of Home Depot). If you are any other profession than LEO, would you lose your job over an accident? Not only lose your job, lose your ability to ever work in the industry again. Would the paint contractor be barred from ever getting a job painting houses again? I would dare say that the mechanic/car salesman/architect/lawyer/contractor would all still have a job, and would not be subject to loss of medical/retirement/employment.

    To say this guy is not being punished is to ignore that he is about to lose everything, and will never work in LE again. Think about your job, and where you are in life. If You had an AD/ND like this, what would you think about losing your job? What would your wife say when you told her that the kids no longer have health insurance? He will eventually find a new job in a different industry in a few months. But it will probably be at a pay cut. Lets assume he just lost 6 months of income until he finds a new job. That's a $40-50k hit he just took. He is not walking away scott free. OH, and the civil suit is soon to follow.
    In my industry,I would lose the ability to work in the industry again . There wouldn’t be a legal prohibition per se,but no legitimate financial institution would ever touch me if I was That Guy.

    I’m not in the camp of frying the man,nor am I advocating he get off without consequence. He should be treated just like anyone else who made such an error. It appears that is what’s happening here- and the DA wouldn’t be the first prosecutor to embellish the charges for political reasons.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

  10. #200
    Member TGS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    So, I'm wondering if that is part of the charge by the DA is that the bar the agent was in, "Forbids" carrying of weapons? I could see someone getting all hot and bothered since LEOSA does not protect carriers from, "restrictions imposed by private persons on their own private property". BUT - doesn't FBI policy supersede this? I could be wrong, but it seems like it does. Or have we finally arrived at a place where - we now see the intersection of federal law and private property to sufficiently test the limits of LEOSA?
    Policy never supersedes law.

    LEOSA has nothing to do with it. He's authorized by the federal government to carry the weapon as part of his employment, and off-duty carry is within the scope of his duties.

    When not conducting business, a private property can tell him that he can't come in with a gun...but they have to tell him he's trespassing (unless you're in a state where a posted sign carries that weight and does not exclude LE).
    Last edited by TGS; 06-13-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

TLG 1970–2016 RIPRampageForTheCure.org