Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge while holstered?

I looked it over several times, and it seems obvious to me, between his T shirt being tucked in all around the waist other than very front, and huge free end of it coming out of his pants when he throws his gun down (how about that part?).

Site Supporter
    Wow that is tough to watch. I am thinking this is a hardware failure of some type. I can't see any fault in the holstering technique. I mean maybe that cover garment could have been pulled up a tiny bit more. Either the holster folded or buckled or the gun had a modified trigger that allowed the sear and fpb to be defeated.

Looking at the holster on the manuf. web it looks like the trigger guard area sweeps inward toward the trigger much more than other designs I've seen. Depending on the elasticity of the material (can't see exactly if this is true kydex) the trigger area could deform if put into compression.

https://www.tacticalholsters.com/pro...olster-system/

ETA: looked around and can see that this is a true kydex.

I'm leaning now more towards a bubba'd trigger or swiss cheese lining up perfectly to get the under garment bunched up in the holster.

It could also be the holster hardware was loose and got into the trigger area.

Last edited by fixer; 06-03-2018 at 11:18 AM.

It's really hard to tell what happened, but here's what I saw.

-It looks like the guy sweeps his hand several times before holstering.
    -He is talking to his buddy while chambering and holstering.
    -He appears casual when he chambers the gun. He flicks and releases the slide.
    -My armchair QB read is: not a firearms expert, or maybe his hands were sweaty.
    -He holsters slowly, which is good.
    -There was something going on during the holstering where he adjusted his pants.
    -The t-shirt looks pretty tight. It's hard to see how it could have been fouled in the trigger guard.
    -Possibly loose boxer shorts?

Anyway, good lesson for us all to treat every time we holster as a life-safety event.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-03-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet on an aftermarket trigger. One that's a bit wider. When he bends over, his abdomen puts pressure on the grip of the gun pushing down on it, the trigger sticks on the inside of the holster were it's not molded for the extra width, trigger stops moving, gun doesn't, bang.
    How about this? Aftermarket trigger with terrible engagement between Cruciform & Striker. Cruciform lives in the frame Striker lives in the Slide. The action of bending over puts pressure on gun in such a way that enough separation is achieved between slide and frame to allow the Striker to release. While not fully cocked the Striker had enough energy to detonate the primer.

The last time I trained with Mike Pannone he wanted to know if anyone was shooting a gun with an aftermarket trigger installed. Mike stated that recently he had witnessed a Glock that fired spontaneously with no finger in the trigger guard. Upon inspection of this aftermarket trigger Mike said it had at best 3% engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Where would one apply a tourniquet in this situation? Around the waist?
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Excellent question. Depends how high the entry is. Really, the best thing is to lay him down and apply occlusive pressure directly on the artery high in the groin.
    There are products designed specifically for that application. Most of us would not have them readily accessible, and the technique YVK is likely the best go-to. FWIW - I haven't had the chance to test this myself on an actual bleed, it was related by several SOF medics during a TCCC course - a Nalgene fits about perfectly in the inguinal crease and can assist in maintaining pressure. Other similarly sized/shaped objects with decent rigidity may also be helpful in a similar manner, depending on what's around/available.

Site Supporter
    Possible also the holster itself may have been bubba'd...
    Last edited by fixer; 06-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post

The last time I trained with Mike Pannone he wanted to know if anyone was shooting a gun with an aftermarket trigger installed. Mike stated that recently he had witnessed a Glock that fired spontaneously with no finger in the trigger guard. Upon inspection of this aftermarket trigger Mike said it had at best 3% engagement.
    This brings up another good point. Any time you change ANY component in a Glock, you should make sure to do all safety checks (including installation of an inspection plate and checking cruciform engagement). This applies even with Glock OEM components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears @voodoo_man did some testing of the INCOG http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/07/g-code-...lipse.html?m=1 - and had a couple of retention issues. I wonder if the gun popped loose slightly and rocked back and forth to cause the discharge, when he bent over?

My spider senses are tingling, something just doesn't look right. But if it is real, I would love to hear what actually caused this.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I looked it over several times, and it seems obvious to me, between his T shirt being tucked in all around the waist other than very front, and huge free end of it coming out of his pants when he throws his gun down (how about that part?).
    Yeah, noticed that also. Could have potentially made things much worse.

User Tag List