Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge while holstered?

This video is exactly why I only carry DA and DA/SA pistols if I'm going to put a pistol anywhere in my waist or pockets.
    While an accident like this can be easily avoided with any pistol, it just goes to show you that **** happens.

Glocks are great guns, but I would NEVER carry one pointed at my best friend all day. This guy is really lucky. He could have easily severed the femoral artery and bled out or even worse, he could have got an unplanned sex change

Edit
    After watching this again, it looks staged to me. Maybe it's some type of training video???
    Last edited by cold-beer; 06-06-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Thank you for clarifying this. I apologize for not mentioning in my previous post that my comments apply only to factory specification Glocks. Once a gun has been modified then its operational characteristics cannot be fully understood without rigorous and exhaustive testing including destructive testing. Even after all possible testing, the potential for "surprises" still exists and when the modified gun is exposed to extensive field use will likely manifest.

/* Solo mi dos centavos vale la pena */

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    *may not apply to modified Glocks.

As far as penetration, angles matter. A 9mm deeply angled down isn't going to come out, it's going to continue in the thigh meat. Should it hit the pelvis or femur, it's unlikely to through-and-through as well.
    The article does say the wound was a through and through.

Quote Originally Posted by Die FliperMas View Post
    Thank you for clarifying this. I apologize for not mentioning in my previous post that my comments apply only to factory specification Glocks. Once a gun has been modified then its operational characteristics cannot be fully understood without rigorous and exhaustive testing including destructive testing. Even after all possible testing, the potential for "surprises" still exists and when the modified gun is exposed to extensive field use will likely manifest.

/* Solo mi dos centavos vale la pena */
    Once upon a time I wrote some software for a Real Time Telemetry Launch System used for the Titan IV Expendable Launch Vehicles. My code passed all tests and ATP's and was deployed. Another engineer was working on a similar system for another program and asked if he could use my code. I gladly obliged him and gave him the source code I wrote. Two days later he approached me and stated that my code "didn't work". I asked him if he changed it. After evading the question for a while he grudgingly admitted that he had modified my code.

My response:
    "It's your code now!"

I think the same could be true of firearms. A factory spec Glock is a Glock. A user modified Glock is no longer a Glock, it is now a <your name here> gun.

Thoughts?

A properly employed SCD could have alerted the user that something was amiss.

Looks like the woman had gloves on already. Was she cleaning a weapon or something?
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    DA REVOLVERS? REVOLVERROB?

civiliandefender.com
    My apologies Doc.

I assumed everyone was already aware of the superiority of cylinder fed double-action weapons. Understanding that their accuracy, reliability, concealability, and of course safety were second to none.

Staged or not, this re-enforces my decision that I will only AIWB a pistol with an external hammer or a cocking indicator. It also makes me appreciate all the more the quality and design of the JMCK AIWB holster.

I've been thinking about this for a few days and watching the video, and as others observed, I don't see any real fault in "technique" here by the normal rules. It's a slow holster, and he watches the gun and holster area. The shirts both seem to be out of the holster, and looking at the design of the Incode it seems that at least the normal expectation of how a shirt can get into the holster don't apply here. In short, everything *seems* fine. I would easily believe this was a staged training video or the like.

I would accept the explanation of some sort of aftermarket parts or trigger work that messed with the safeties of the gun.

However, if I were guessing, the most likely explanation to me would be a combination of the T-shirts and the design of the INCOG holster, but not in the standard way. He seemed to have watched out for all of the standard "T-shirt wraps in the trigger guard" sort of concerns. I don't think that was a problem. However, the INCOG design appears to have a very open bottom. There's plenty of room for a T-shirt to get into the muzzle/front sight side of the holster and get tied up with things there.

If he got enough material in there, he would not have been able to see it from the top, and might not have been paying enough attention to feel it. The result could have been either a partially holstered or weakly holstered gun. As he walks, the material could have pushed upwards on the gun and caused the gun to unholster a little bit, clearing the trigger guard. At that point, when he bends down, there's more than enough force and positioning for the trigger guard edge to catch on the trigger and depress the trigger while his chest and stomach push the gun back down.

In this case, that would mean that there was no obstruction in the trigger guard, but an obstruction on the bottom of the holster which affected the function. This seems to be the only other reasonable explanation that jives with the video outside of an aftermarket modification.

Does anyone have any form of confirmation that this is real (aside from the TTAG post)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    However, if I were guessing, the most likely explanation to me would be a combination of the T-shirts and the design of the INCOG holster, but not in the standard way. He seemed to have watched out for all of the standard "T-shirt wraps in the trigger guard" sort of concerns. I don't think that was a problem. However, the INCOG design appears to have a very open bottom. There's plenty of room for a T-shirt to get into the muzzle/front sight side of the holster and get tied up with things there.
    When I first read this thread and looked at the INCOG holster, the open bottom immediately caught my attention too. That kind of design might be OK for OWB, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using that holster AIWB. This was exactly what I meant about the design of the JMCK AIWB holster in my previous post; complete coverage with limited opening for the ingress of clothing, and the way the holster is formed allows smooth holstering where any obstruction would be immediately noticed.

User Tag List