Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Useless for combat - but beautiful

Glad to see this thread come up.

I have a strong affinity for rifles built by the Scandinavians/ Finns and Tikkas and Sakos are at the top of the list.

My Sako TRG is by far my most prized possession as far as target rifles go, but the older Tikka hunting rifles and newer Tikkas have proven to be exceptional in their craftsmanship/accuracy.

Ithica imported one produced by Tikka known as the LSA 55 and 65 (short and long actions). They had Bofors barrels and were Mauser actions. They are one of the best kept secrets of the "old rifle" world. Exceptional accuracy and being Mausers, they are exceptionally reliable. The downside is that magaizines are next to non existant, so don't lose the one that comes with the gun (which I have never actually heard of anyone losing a mag).

Mine is a 30-06 and shoots 155 Scenars into very small groups (Scandinavian bullets for a Scandinavian rifle naturally).

I think whoever designed the stock also invented the word ergonomic before the word even existed. Flat bottomed stock and a superb wrist.

I am not sure about its peak combat utility today, but to be honest, I would not feel poorly armed with using it in a precision rifle role, and the Finnish Legend Simo Häyhä might think that the Sakos and Tikkas are far from useless, even though he used something slightly different (SAKO M28/30).

I know that I would be not consider myself poorly armed if it was my only bolt action centerfire rifle.

A man could do much, much worse.

The funny thing is though that these days I never actually hunt with such a fine rifle as the old Tikka/Mauser.

I have my 2 regular Tikka T3s in .300 WM and .308 Win that I dropped into McMillan stocks that meet my needs perfectly for the conditions/terrain I hunt.

I honestly could hunt the rest my days with these two and call it totally good.

I have considered multiple times trying to find a suitable person who would appreciate such a classic rifle and sell it, but then I drag my feet, stick it away and a year or so later go through the same mental hurdles over and over.

Rifle loonyism...

An accurate, bolt action .243 is one of the most useful rifles arounds. For years I used my 6mm Remington on a ranch daily. I can't tell you how many varmints were controlled with that rifle. That is beautiful!

I owned the twin to that rifle in .308 and very stupidly sold it. I got double what I paid for it but less than half what I could get one for now. False economy...

Site Supporter
    There is a .308 L579 Sako actioned H&R Ultra Rifle at a LGS close to me. I am guessing early to mid ‘70s vintage.
    Has some finish wear on the wood but appears in really good shape. It has Williams open sights which enhances its appeal to me since I can buy it and go shoot without immediately having to decide on optics.
    It appears to have a external Mauser type extractor and hinged floorplate magazine.
    The stock is retro ‘70s with the slant forend tip and grip cap a la Weatherby and rollover cheek piece.
    They are asking $599.
    Really tempted to go back tomorrow and offer $500 cash just to see how it goes. I just came into hundreds of prepared and primed .308 brass and a literal crap ton of bullets and powder.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 10-26-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    Not really pertinent, but my deer rifle is a CMP sporterized '03A3. The wife's grandfather's gun. I drop about 100 rounds of 30-06 a year through it to be sure that I know the dope rounds 1-10 (as the non free floated barrel heats), and can call my shots from 100 to 500 yards. The gun likes 150 gr and lighter bullets....

Them old guns are kewl...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I would not say useless. Equipped with the proper optic, this could be very useful in certain circumstances.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    All true, but what everyone’s Jeff Cooper inspired fantasy leaves out is that Simo Häyhä was an exceptional individual and “you ain’t Simo Häyhä.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    All true, but what everyone’s Jeff Cooper inspired fantasy leaves out is that Simo Häyhä was an exceptional individual and “you ain’t Simo Häyhä.”
    Which would imply that the rifle is not the "problem"...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Not really pertinent, but my deer rifle is a CMP sporterized '03A3. The wife's grandfather's gun. I drop about 100 rounds of 30-06 a year through it to be sure that I know the dope rounds 1-10 (as the non free floated barrel heats), and can call my shots from 100 to 500 yards. The gun likes 150 gr and lighter bullets....

Them old guns are kewl...

pat
    My grandfather’s deer rifle was a sporterized DCM ‘03A3. Stolen from my cousin’s house about ten or fifteen years ago along with grandpa’s Ithaca 37 Featherlight 20 and Browning .22. And all of my cousin’s guns as well, except the pocket pistol he was carrying when it happened.

User Tag List