Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless for combat - but beautiful

OK, I have seen the photos of the beautiful rifle. Sweet!

You forgot, however, to post the pics of the “useless for combat” rifle.

Site Supporter
    It’s not a combat rifle so “useless for combat” isn’t really relevant.

It is a good example of what it was designed to be, a hunting rifle.

.243 is a very capable round, I would want more than 2.5x on an optic for something like this.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-02-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s not a combat rifle so “useless for combat” isn’t really relevant.

It is a good example of what it was designed to be, a hunting rifle.

.243 is a very capable round, I would want more than 2.5x on an optic for something like this.
    Depends what you're shooting at, I've always thought - the smaller the target, the higher the power. For deer I always have the 2.5x8X set to 2.5 unless I'm developing loads. That's always been plenty to pick a spot on the rib cage after I've counted tines with binoculars. I don't shoot at deer more than 200 yards away anymore, so a broad field of view is better for me than magnification.

Beautiful rifle. I'm fighting aging eyes, too, but were I lucky enough to be in your shoes I'd go ahead and pick up a Sako peep (if you don't already have one) and give it a shot, so to speak. Completes the rifle to me.

As others have said, a classic and absolutely beautiful rifle!

All rifles don't have to be "tactical " looking.

As much as I like my AR's, when it comes to hunting I use a Sako 85 or a Win 70, both with wood.

Enjoy!

Site Supporter
    Nice! My .243 has a 3x9 on it. I carry it around set to 3x, but have shot a deer at 300yds with it set to 9x. Just depends.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Depends what you're shooting at, I've always thought - the smaller the target, the higher the power. For deer I always have the 2.5x8X set to 2.5 unless I'm developing loads. That's always been plenty to pick a spot on the rib cage after I've counted tines with binoculars. I don't shoot at deer more than 200 yards away anymore, so a broad field of view is better for me than magnification.
    1.5-5x
    2-7x
    2.5-8x

All would be good choices. My experience with fixed 2.5 has been with scout scopes so that may color my experience.

The usefulness of higher magnification (>5x ) tends to depend on the ability to go prone with a bipod or find field expedient rests for other positions.
    Last edited by HCM; 06-03-2018 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1.5-5x
    2-7x
    2.5-8x

All would be good choices. My experience with fixed 2.5 has been with scout scopes so that may color my experience.

The usefulness of higher magnification (>5x ) tends to depend on the ability to go prone with a bipod or find field expedient rests for other positions.
    Yeah, I agree. I'm primarily a woods/whitetail hunter when I go, so even a 1X peep would work okay, probably.

As a youngling, I had a Remington 600 in 6mm with a 4x Redfield wide angle. A good fixed 4x would be a viable contender.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I have a ‘66 vintage .243 like the OP’s. Mine came with a vintage Redfield 3-9 in older style Redfield bases and rings. My preference would be Sako rings that slide onto the receiver directly. You can mount a scope very low using them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List