Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Useless for combat - but beautiful

Beautiful rifle. I have a "varmint" version in 25-06 with a 6X Redfield that was given to me. I need to sit down at the bench and make some ammo for it.

The Weaver looks perfect on yours
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Beautiful rifle. I have a "varmint" version in 25-06 with a 6X Redfield that was given to me. I need to sit down at the bench and make some ammo for it.

The Weaver looks perfect on yours
    Thanks. I like longer barrel and sight hood on it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    1) Don't believe everything you read.

2) The M14 is a classic case of "bird in hand." /"its in the system" that doesn't mean it's good.

In fact a 243 bolt gun might well be. better choice than a .308 at longer range. It was 6mm ish before it was. cool.
    I said 'heard' not read.
    My point was that such a rifle as this Sako is certainly not 'useless for combat'.

While it's rare, having spent 10 years in the Army has put me around enough other Soldiers with the occasional story about one or two Iraqi's or insurgent MF'ers making a real pain in the ass out of a situation because one or both had SVD's or some other scoped rifle and actually had some idea of how to shoot.

I don't have any romantic notions about the M14 and I honestly don't care much for it as a working rifle, but if I'm regularly engaged by assholes with PKM's and SVD's at 400M+ I'd much rather have a 22in M14 with an ACOG than a 14.5 M4 with a CCO.
    But in a pinch, that Sako .243 with a decent piece of glass would certainly do.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    I said 'heard' not read.
    My point was that such a rifle as this Sako is certainly not 'useless for combat'.

While it's rare, having spent 10 years in the Army has put me around enough other Soldiers with the occasional story about one or two Iraqi's or insurgent MF'ers making a real pain in the ass out of a situation because one or both had SVD's or some other scoped rifle and actually had some idea of how to shoot.

I don't have any romantic notions about the M14 and I honestly don't care much for it as a working rifle, but if I'm regularly engaged by assholes with PKM's and SVD's at 400M+ I'd much rather have a 22in M14 with an ACOG than a 14.5 M4 with a CCO.
    But in a pinch, that Sako .243 with a decent piece of glass would certainly do.
    My view is that while the M-14 is heavy-ish, as is its ammo, new or reasonably lightly used ones were nice, accurate and reliable rifles. I can't speak to the ones that remain in inventory, but I can speak to the ones in inventory the better part of 50 years ago. They were good weapons (although the ones made with fiberglass stocks by H&R were treated with some suspicion).

And a Sako .243 from the same era could be a terrific combat weapon, particularly if you are engaging at some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    Something about that setup looks exactly right.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Looks good, @Jaywalker, but you got me started looking at vintage rifles on GunBroker last night.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My “Frankenrifle”:

Interarms Mk-X long action, .30-06 FN barrel, Weaver K4 scope and an Interarms stock. All but the action were bought from ads in Shotgun News, back in the day.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My “Frankenrifle”:

Interarms Mk-X long action, .30-06 FN barrel, Weaver K4 scope and an Interarms stock. All but the action were bought from ads in Shotgun News, back in the day.
    I always liked those Mark X actions and had considered having a sporter built on it when I decided to go with the Sako. Is that a steel Weaver?
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 06-19-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    I always liked those Mark X actions and had considered having a sporter built on it when I decided to go with the Sako. Is that a steel Weaver?
    Indeed it is, circa ‘83.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    My “Frankenrifle”:

Very nice rifle! I loved SGN, back in the day. Unfortunately, my dreams were bigger than my wallet.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List