Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Useless for combat - but beautiful

Useless for combat - but beautiful

This is a Sako L579 .243 bolt action rifle from about 1970 - 71. It's gorgeous - the only part that isn't steel and wood is the plastic buttplate with "Sako" written on it. The guy i bought it from says it had fired only 95 rounds and it does look like it's been cleaned and stored for a few decades. The wood to metal fit alone would have to come from a custom stockmaker these days, let alone the borderless checkering.

I'm struggling to decide whether to put a receiver ("peep") sight on it and stay close to its seven-pounds-two-ounce weight, or to scope it and see how it shoots. I use to shoot irons, but a scope is much easier on my eyes these days.

I guess I'm more a wood and steel guy than a modular aluminum guy.

Name:  IMG_0529 (640x480) Right side.jpg
Views: 2373
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0532 (640x480) Action.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  46.4 KB
    Last edited by Jaywalker; 06-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Gorgeous rifle.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Beautiful. How about a 1.5-5x Leupold? Not big and clunky but just enough magnification.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Beautiful. How about a 1.5-5x Leupold? Not big and clunky but just enough magnification.
    Was actually thinking of the indestructible Leupie 2.5x20, but if I scope I'll have to give the nod to a gloss Leupold 2.5x8 that isn't otherwise mounted. That'll run it up slightly over eight pounds, which still isn't too bad.

A classic gold ring Leupold LPV, 2-7x or 3-9 seems like it’d make a nice setup.
    David S.

Very nice! She's a looker

Old Sakos can really shoot. Agree with the above sentiment about a low power scope.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I would not say useless. Equipped with the proper optic, this could be very useful in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    I would not say useless. Equipped with the proper optic, this could be very useful in certain circumstances.
    For years, my only centerfire rifle was a bolt .308. I took it seriously as a "general purpose" rifle and made quite a study of the material in Cooper's Art of the Rifle.

An acquaintance once sneered and posited some kind of apocalyptic, TEOTWAWKI scenario and said: "I bet you'd wish you had an AR-15 then!" I replied "Maybe, but I guarantee some people will wish I didn't have a bolt .308."

That's a beautiful Sako. I've done good work with a Leupold 1.75 to 6 and never felt like I needed more glass.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I would not feel undergunned with this thing. Certainly not useless for combat.

Could it be lighter, could it be optics-ready? Sure. But it's still a very good rifle.

User Tag List