Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brass Prep

Brass Prep

Range was packed this morning so I headed home and decided to get the reloading station cleaned up. Had a couple hundred rounds to run through the case gauge and about 30 failed. Some were user error- but about half were due to bulged brass.
    Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to fix that error. I usually just grab a handful of brass, put it in the auto feeder and crank rounds out.
    I don’t mind some up front work to save on powder, bullet, etc- or do I just accept the small percentage of bulged cases and move on?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    I use mostly Lee resizing dies in my RL550. When I broke the decapping pin in my 9x19 die, I replaced the standard die with a "U" (undersized) die even though I never had an issue with the standard die.

Question: Have you checked the rounds that failed the case gauge in the chamber of your pistol? My understanding is that case gauges are made to absolute minimum specs to ensure that rounds that pass the case gauge will fit all chambers.

Brass Prep

A Lee factory crimp die can help. But a push through debulging die is the only sure fire solution. I don’t bother with that because I don’t shoot .40 anymore. Bulged 9mm rarely fail to chamber.

I do sort my match ammo based on whether they pass the Hundo gauge.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-02-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Something like this is what concerns me most
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  27.0 KB

Site Supporter
    I pick up range brass at my club - few of the shooters reload. However, one of the members shoots 9 major and leaves it so there is some bulged brass in the mix. I load all the brass through my 550 with Lee dies. If just practicing - I just take and shoot. I use check all my match ammo or serious practice ammo. Any bulged get tossed in a box marked bulged and I run those though the Lee bulge buster when I get enough in the box and have some time. DO not shoot much 40 now but same process.

The Hundo Gauge is $100 but money well spent.

Flip tray is good to have as well.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

@Clusterfrack you wouldn't have an issue shooting a round sticking out of a case gauge that much- like in the picture I posted? I need to save up my monthly allowance and grab that Hundo case gauge.
    Thanks

Matt

I haven't checked in the pistol chamber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    @Clusterfrack you wouldn't have an issue shooting a round sticking out of a case gauge that much- like in the picture I posted? I need to save up my monthly allowance and grab that Hundo case gauge.
    Thanks

Matt
    Not CF but yes most of my 9mm pistols and especially my MPX PCC would choke on the round you pictured. I that exact type bulged casing picking up 9mm major brass that is mixed in with all the other brass. I can run that through a Lee bulge buster and "fix" it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Not CF but yes most of my 9mm pistols and especially my MPX PCC would choke on the round you pictured. I that exact type bulged casing picking up 9mm major brass that is mixed in with all the other brass. I can run that through a Lee bulge buster and "fix" it.
    May have to look into the Bulge Buster- I have a few thousand pieces of brass- I just sorted through a bunch today with a quick case gauge and dump into ammo box.

User Tag List