Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunvault

Gunvault

Anyone have one of these? It's pretty bad. It's almost like when someone showed me how to pick a standard masterlock with a soda can. Q

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=b
    Gun Safe Fail: GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Opens With a Gum Wrapper

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Glad I don't have one of those.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Qaz98 View Post
    Anyone have one of these? It's pretty bad. It's almost like when someone showed me how to pick a standard masterlock with a soda can. Q

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=b
    Gun Safe Fail: GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Opens With a Gum Wrapper

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    That's bad, but I suspect the majority of thieves will not go so high tech to break in and will resort to tools like hammers, chisels, or rocks to forceably break in. When our house was broken into back in 2010, the thieves took my Gunvault Minivault with two handguns inside (wasn't bolted down, mainly used to keep my very young children away from the two handguns). Instead of approaching the safe with a scientific/engineering mind, they stopped 100yds from the house and beat on it with a large rock, which is how the police found them. They failed to breach the safe.

Not saying one should ignore the vulnerability here, but just pointing out that it won't be the first or even second method of breaching this device considered by the typical thief. I suspect having it in a discrete, out of casual visual rage, location will do more to protect the safe than a better lock (the same thieves who found my pistol locker failed to find the barely hidden RSC device in the same room).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That's bad, but I suspect the majority of thieves will not go so high tech to break in and will resort to tools like hammers, chisels, or rocks to forceably break in. When our house was broken into back in 2010, the thieves took my Gunvault Minivault with two handguns inside (wasn't bolted down, mainly used to keep my very young children away from the two handguns). Instead of approaching the safe with a scientific/engineering mind, they stopped 100yds from the house and beat on it with a large rock, which is how the police found them. They failed to breach the safe.

Not saying one should ignore the vulnerability here, but just pointing out that it won't be the first or even second method of breaching this device considered by the typical thief. I suspect having it in a discrete, out of casual visual rage, location will do more to protect the safe than a better lock (the same thieves who found my pistol locker failed to find the barely hidden RSC device in the same room).

Chris
    Well put.

My wife has an SV500.

These obviously aren't made to deter a smart or well equipped burgler who has disarmed/jammed your alarm and is in your house disguised as an electrician, but rather made to secure your guns against the overwhelming majority of burglaries: sub-2 minute smash and grabs to get enough money for another high.

This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, and just about every store bought gun safe has vulnerabilities. Even a 750lbs liberty gun safe, on it's own, can be breached in just a couple minutes.

With that said, ShotLock makes higher quality single-gun home defense oriented safes, and we made the decision a while ago to buy those instead once the SV500 shits the bed.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-02-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Well put.

My wife has an SV500.

These obviously aren't made to deter a smart or well equipped burgler who has disarmed/jammed your alarm and is in your house disguised as an electrician, but rather made to secure your guns against the overwhelming majority of burglaries: sub-2 minute smash and grabs to get enough money for another high.

This shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, and just about every store bought gun safe has vulnerabilities. Even a 750lbs liberty gun safe, on it's own, can be breached in just a couple minutes.

With that said, ShotLock makes higher quality single-gun home defense oriented safes, and we made the decision a while ago to buy those instead once the SV500 shits the bed.
    Their Shotlock 200M looks like a good alternative to what I have now, a low end case I bought at Academy.

ShotLock Handgun 200M Solo-Vault (Mechanical) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00844HGVU..._TAReBbGKMA4VM
    @TGS Do you know if this is a Simplex-type lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Their Shotlock 200M looks like a good alternative to what I have now, a low end case I bought at Academy.

ShotLock Handgun 200M Solo-Vault (Mechanical) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00844HGVU..._TAReBbGKMA4VM
    I'm not sure on the specifics of the mechanism and whether it's actually Simplex or an imitation, but you should check out V-Line safes as well. They're similar to ShotLock, but advertise the use of genuine Simplex locks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It looks like not having a battery or using the electronic part of some of those is a better idea.

I have an opportunity to get one of Hornady's safes. I like their multiple ways of opening the safe in a panic or half asleep mode. I watched the V-Line safe video. And was worried about opening it at night with no light and in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

I am wondering the same about the lock. I found/picked up two of these for the price of one locally (damaged freight goods store), as I was thinking it might be good to use one in a vehicle and build one into some furniture.

I used to have a MiniVault. The safe took a hard blow during a move, and the latch failed a couple years after that, so I decided to mess with it. It turns out that you can hit the reset button through a hole in the top of the safe with a paperclip if you remove the glued-on rubber pad that surrounds the keypad. It also turns out that a 170lb computer geek can just break the safe open in about 5 minutes with a small crowbar.

I replaced it with a MultiVault about a year ago. They moved the reset button so that it would be hard to hit through the top of the safe like on my old one. I haven't tried to break into this one but I suspect it's fine to defend against a smash-and-grab burglary.

User Tag List