Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raven Eidolon - Make it Gen5 Compatible?

Raven Eidolon - Make it Gen5 Compatible?

Needing a Gen5-compatible AIWB holster, I got a JMCK 2.0. (I think I'll do a mini-review comparing the Eidolon, JMCK 2.0, and PHLster Classic in the near future). I also considered the Dark Star Orion but I can't buy everything all at once.

My question for today... Raven doesn't recommend or endorse a Gen5 hack, but it looks like cutting the outboard shield down to the imprinted line on the shell and then fine-tuning at the ambi slide stop lever.

Not having done this before, what exactly should I use to cut the shell, fine-tune for the SSL, and polish / round off the cut edge?

Why do you want to trim the holster. My 19X fits the un-modded Eidolon fine? Thought about trimming it down, but after a few training sessions the off side slide release doesn’t hang up on the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Why do you want to trim the holster. My 19X fits the un-modded Eidolon fine? Thought about trimming it down, but after a few training sessions the off side slide release doesn’t hang up on the plastic.
    Name:  Glock Gen5 in Eidolon.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  63.4 KB
    This is where it stops unless you fidget with it to get the slide stop lever to tuck under the outboard shield. Sure, it'll go in but as you push the pistol in, the slide stop pushes the shield out. It also creates a drag against the holster. Cutting down the the imprinted line makes the shield the same length as their ambi short shield model.

To my original question - what tool works best to do this?

Buzz it off on a band saw, then shape/smooth on belt sander or Dremel with sanding drum. Hand sand wet, 200/400/600 to smooth edge. Could probably be polished after sanding if desired.

Could probably use a cutting wheel made of metal on a Dremel to make the cut
    , but I would keep the RPM's down and go slow so you don't let the smoke out of it and poison yourself.

I strongly suggest great ventilation and appropriate PPE.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 06-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry T View Post
    Name:  Glock Gen5 in Eidolon.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  63.4 KB
    This is where it stops unless you fidget with it to get the slide stop lever to tuck under the outboard shield. Sure, it'll go in but as you push the pistol in, the slide stop pushes the shield out. It also creates a drag against the holster. Cutting down the the imprinted line makes the shield the same length as their ambi short shield model.

To my original question - what tool works best to do this?
    My 19x did that for a few draw cycles. No more, but you’re right it does flex the holster.

If you have a Dremel, try a cut off wheel. If you’re not comfy with it practice on the tip of the shield first. You can use the witness line from the mold as your guide. Fix up the edge with a needle file or a sanding wheel for the Dremel. Go SLOW if you do the Dremel.

If no Dremel, go to a cheap Harbor Freight type place and pick up a coping saw. Cut straight across the witness line, then sand by hand.

It’s not kydex but I heated mine and remolded it slightly with no ill effects.

I used a Dremel with a rough sanding drum and progressive grit sandpaper to reshape and finish mine to clear the ambi slide stop and it works great. It’s a little tighter with the gen5 but no problems. I haven’t been carrying Glocks for a couple months but I could get the holster from the box and snap some pictures if you’d like.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I used a Dremel with a rough sanding drum and progressive grit sandpaper to reshape and finish mine to clear the ambi slide stop and it works great. It’s a little tighter with the gen5 but no problems. I haven’t been carrying Glocks for a couple months but I could get the holster from the box and snap some pictures if you’d like.
    No need to take pics but thanks for offering.

So I bought a dremel. Cutting wheel, sanding drums, and emery cloth... now Gen5 compatible.

Name:  Raven Eidolon Gen5 Modification.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  39.1 KB

I had the same issue with the Eidolon I just picked up. Im right handed and plan to continue to be , so I cut off that side of the slide release / stop. They are only like $8 so if I messed it up Im not out a lot of money for a new holster. Worked well and now it fits like a glove.

User Tag List