Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small fanny pack?

I have a general fanny pack question: do I need to cover the trigger guard when the pistol is placed inside?

OP - I had one of these but sold it:

5.11 Tactical Select Carry Pistol Pouch, Charcoal/Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MTIQRG..._JpUeBbH1QTV1F

It barely had room for my P30SK. And to be honest it looked a bit too Tactical for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I have a general fanny pack question: do I need to cover the trigger guard when the pistol is placed inside?
    Depends on the pack.

If you're using something lightweight and not purpose-built, maybe something made from ripstop, for example... I would definitely use a trigger guard to prevent keys, etc poking the trigger. When using something made for a gun, I'd hope the maker gave proper consideration to material thicknesses to prevent unwanted intrusions into the trigger guard, but, best thing to do is your own safety evaluation before using..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Tommy's is still available on eBay... for now..
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/tommysgunpa...p2047675.l2559
    there is a thread about those somewhere. The one I have is excellent quality.

Site Supporter
    Rich, I agree with Roy regarding the holster. I have often carried my off-safe Shield in the main compartment of my Hill People Gear snubby kit bag. The bag is solid enough that nothing is likely to press the trigger. Moreover, I carry nothing else in the main compartment but my pistol. That said, I just put a Raven Vanguard in the bag out of an abundance of caution.
    Many fanny packs do come with a Velcro strap that somewhat stabilizes the gun and covers the trigger guard. It isn't the newest Safariland duty holster, but it does serve a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Yes, unless you are not concerned about an accidental discharge. Galloway Precision has Kydex trigger guards for many handguns. They tie paracord to it so it can be hooked to the bag or belt in such a way that when the gun is drawn the guard pulls right off

I use a Blackhawk arc holster that has the belt clip removed. It works and it was only like 20 bucks
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Yes, unless you are not concerned about an accidental discharge. Galloway Precision has Kydex trigger guards for many handguns. They tie paracord to it so it can be hooked to the bag or belt in such a way that when the gun is drawn the guard pulls right off
    A gun specific fanny pack should have a rigid, separate compartment that shouldn’t need that.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Depends on the pack.

If you're using something lightweight and not purpose-built, maybe something made from ripstop, for example... I would definitely use a trigger guard to prevent keys, etc poking the trigger. When using something made for a gun, I'd hope the maker gave proper consideration to material thicknesses to prevent unwanted intrusions into the trigger guard, but, best thing to do is your own safety evaluation before using..
    Thanks guys.

I used a Dale Fricke Zach on my P30SK:

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/produ...lment-holster/

I was just wondering if it was recommended. Seemed like a good idea to me, so if I go Fanny Pack carry for my G26.5 I will likely get a Zach for it as well.

Take a look at the Safepacker, made by “The Wilderness” dot com. It can be worn on a masculine or feminine belt, as a belt pouch holster, which will make it more secure than, uh, “fanny* pack” rigs, or can be worn with an optional adapter, to be worn in the style of a “fanny” pack. The Safepacker can be hand-carried, with or without a wrist/hand strap, and can be worn on a shoulder strap, or piggy-backed onto a larger bag or backpack.

The Safepacker is stiff enough, so that a Vanguard-type trigger cover is not necessary.

Before AZ had legal concealed carry, the Safepacker was AZ-legal for open carry, which was legal at the time, because AZ did not require that the firearm, itself, be visible, if the holster/case was visible. The Safepacker met AZ’s definition of a holster or case. This may well still be true, in AZ, BUT MAY NOT BE TRUE IN OTHER JURISDICTIONS.

*”Fanny” has a much different meaning outside the USA. I realize that this forum is mostly read in the USA, but I read other forums with a much more international membership, so am aware of this.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-03-2018 at 08:25 AM.

User Tag List