Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Current 9MM 1911 Questions

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Which would be better, the Vigil or a Colt LW Commander?
    I owned a recent production Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm and it was a really good pistol. Never had any malfunctions, great for carry. All my current pistols are Government models, and I've been very tempted to check out the Vigil Government 9mm with its alloy frame. I think Dan Wesson gives you a lot of gun for the money. I think either option is a good choice, but for a few hundred more the DW Vigil might be a better gun overall. I haven't heard many reports on how the Vigils are performing yet though.
    Last edited by Robinson; 06-01-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Wilson and Guncrafter are the ones I have and run well with no issues. Bought both used and saved me a ton.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I would suggest the Sig in this video.
    There is something intriguing about that gun. Do Sig 1911s have an FP safety, and if so what kind?

If there are any ones left, a Dawson Precision CRP Trojan is hard to beat.

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-...p-hard-chrome/

https://dawsonprecision.com/sti-troj...p-hard-chrome/

The issue is that STI has stopped production of most of their 1911-pattern pistols, so the supply is limited. The good news is that STI, like SA, has a lifetime warranty and the warranty follows the pistol. Dawson Precision goes through the pistol before delivery, so issues are really rare. My sample is extremely accurate and runs well on Tripp magazines.

Since STI production has ended, I hope that Dawson will start offering the same basic package on the SA Range Officer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    There is something intriguing about that gun. Do Sig 1911s have an FP safety, and if so what kind?
    I believe Sig uses a firing pin safety similar to the Colt Series 80 setup.

It appears the pistol in the video shot has had an arched mainspring housing installed in place of the original -- I think Mr. Kelley mentioned the lanyard ring on the supplied MSH dug into his shooting hand.

Is the current crop of DW 9mm 1911s just as reliable as it's 45 counterpart? This thread has me convinced to buy one but I can't decide if i want to plunge down the 9mm 1911 rabbit hole or just buy a 45.

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I would suggest the Sig in this video.
    The one I owned was really good too. It surprised me actually.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre044 View Post
    Is the current crop of DW 9mm 1911s just as reliable as it's 45 counterpart? This thread has me convinced to buy one but I can't decide if i want to plunge down the 9mm 1911 rabbit hole or just buy a 45.
    I bought my first DW 9mm in 2011 or so, and have had 6 or 7 more of them since then. I’ve personally never had any reliability issues with any of them.

I have another Wilson Combat 9mm being built now, but I never hesitate to buy a DW.

Anyone have any experience with the DW Single Stack Classic from the CZ custom shop?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    The one I owned was really good too. It surprised me actually.
    What do you think about the external extractor?

Do these for your normal 1911 holsters?

User Tag List