Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Rob Haught Special

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    YMMV but without a healthy dose of red loctite, the rear rifle sights are prone to random drifting. .
    Most definitely.

Loc-tite is your friend on Remington's rifle style sights.

It's also a good idea to use a silver sharpie or something to put some witness marks on your sights so you can tell at a glance if they've moved.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Comments section is gold.
    I'm dumber for having read them, especially since I should be studying ITIL stuff, not reading derp.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I like the fact that it is 5+1 without any mag extension. It appears that an effort was made to keep it light and handy, unlike many other tactical shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I would assume that Wilson is starting with an 870 Police gun and then un-fucking it before adding the neat things that the comments section on that article thinks it's no big deal to install. (Like the sights)
    I didn't see where the Wilson website listed the base gun or any internal modifications besides the follower, mag spring, and dome safety. The description page does mention their tried and true practical enhancements, but doesn't specify what those are. I assume you are right, but for $1275 I would do a better job detailing the difference between this and a Wal-Mart Express with Magpul furniture.

Maybe @WilsonCombatRep can provide details?

I'm withholding interest until I know what WC is doing to them other than the parts and finish job. If they are slicking up the action, making absolutely certain the chamber is good to go, etc, I may be more interested, but the fact that that there is a need to have to work over the gun in the first place to make certain it works is problematic.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I would assume that Wilson is starting with an 870 Police gun and then un-fucking it before adding the neat things that the comments section on that article thinks it's no big deal to install. (Like the sights)
    I believe that is an incorrect assumption. Wilson (very recently) used to start with 870 Express guns. I also think the price is too high for what one gets. The biggest value-add is the front and rear sights, and the finish is nice. But I am used to buying used 870 Police and Wingmaster guns and tweaking them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm withholding interest until I know what WC is doing to them other than the parts and finish job. If they are slicking up the action, making absolutely certain the chamber is good to go, etc, I may be more interested, but the fact that that there is a need to have to work over the gun in the first place to make certain it works is problematic.
    ...especially when you can buy a good condition trade-in Wingmaster and have the sights put on it.

As a value proposition it's a tough one, to be sure. Especially as it doesn't have anything like the Vang Comp barrel magic done on it.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I believe that is an incorrect assumption. Wilson (very recently) used to start with 870 Express guns. I also think the price is too high for what one gets. The biggest value-add is the front and rear sights, and the finish is nice. But I am used to buying used 870 Police and Wingmaster guns and tweaking them myself.
    If they start with an Express gun and do the things Remington should be doing to it (like vibra-honing the receiver, etc) then that would add some value.

I've handled a couple of specimens sold from the WC shop and they do not cycle like an off the shelf Express gun.

The price is a bit high, I'll grant you that.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 05-31-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    3/15/2016

Sure seems like new 870 shotguns = new S&W revolvers. My Vang guns are built on early P models, and I have some sweet old Wingmaster based, Brockman customized shotguns. He spent a lot of time on the actions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Full disclosure. I'm officially the first person to buy this shotgun and had the workorder signed by Rob Haught. I also haven't taken to the range yet.... If you happened to put your hands on it at the NRA show that was my actual gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hwalker84 View Post
    Full disclosure. I'm officially the first person to buy this shotgun and had the workorder signed by Rob Haught. I also haven't taken to the range yet.... If you happened to put your hands on it at the NRA show that was my actual gun.
    I'm assuming it runs a hell of a lot slicker than the typical 870 Express guns.
    3/15/2016

I don't know what the police models are like now, but the plastic trigger guard with "Remington" stamped on the bottom looks like an express model. No slam on Wilson, but having bought a UT-15 when they were first introduced, I wouldn't repeat a similar low information purchase where specs are not spelled out. Like the concept, but need more on the particulars, esp at that price point.

User Tag List