Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Rob Haught Special

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Tell me more. I'm a ghost-ring guy from way back--probably too much Cooper in my diet as a child.

Okie John
    I am not good with putting up pics and stuff, but if you go here and look towards the very bottom row of pictures, you get to see a decent look:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/rob-hau...ecial-shotgun/

It's Rob's design/idea and I got to play with it last fall. Very nice and quick sight picture. I could see it being as close to a "universal" shotgun sight as you could get.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Preface: shotgun ignoramus here. What does this 870 do that an Aridus-upgraded 1301 (w/ Haught CROM) doesn’t?
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Preface: shotgun ignoramus here. What does this 870 do that an Aridus-upgraded 1301 (w/ Haught CROM) doesn’t?
    (Mild snark warning)

Besides require the user to work the action without screwing it up and short-stroking under pressure?

I think they are both examples of top-of-form guns for their respective action type.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I am not good with putting up pics and stuff, but if you go here and look towards the very bottom row of pictures, you get to see a decent look:

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/rob-hau...ecial-shotgun/

It's Rob's design/idea and I got to play with it last fall. Very nice and quick sight picture. I could see it being as close to a "universal" shotgun sight as you could get.
    Thank you. I've got it, I think.

One of the problems of being an early Cooper disciple is that it drastically narrowed my thinking. In his world, the only reason to endure the hassle and expense of installing a ghost ring is to get an actual peep sight, and one should accept no substitutes. As I understand it:
    • A peep on an 870 gets you more precision (and range with slugs) with very similar speed, but the zero can wander if you separate the barrel and action.
    • The open deer-hunter rear sight loses a little in precision (and range with slugs) but it's cheaper since it comes from the factory that way, plus the zero stays put.

It seems like the Haught sight would combine the expense and hassle of the peep with all of the disadvantages of an open sight, plus the zero could wander. But I'm probably overthinking it from the Cooper perspective, so I'm definitely willing to be re-educated.

Are there videos or sites that explain his sight system?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Thank you. I've got it, I think.

One of the problems of being an early Cooper disciple is that it drastically narrowed my thinking. In his world, the only reason to endure the hassle and expense of installing a ghost ring is to get an actual peep sight, and one should accept no substitutes. As I understand it:
    • A peep on an 870 gets you more precision (and range with slugs) with very similar speed, but the zero can wander if you separate the barrel and action.
    • The open deer-hunter rear sight loses a little in precision (and range with slugs) but it's cheaper since it comes from the factory that way, plus the zero stays put.

It seems like the Haught sight would combine the expense and hassle of the peep with all of the disadvantages of an open sight, plus the zero could wander. But I'm probably overthinking it from the Cooper perspective, so I'm definitely willing to be re-educated.

Thanks,

Okie John
    The real question is why isn’t this made on an 870 receiver drilled and tapped for factory 870 mounts so it can accommodate a CROM /KE Arms RDS Mount ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The real question is why isn’t this made on an 870 receiver drilled and tapped for factory 870 mounts so it can accommodate a CROM /KE Arms RDS Mount ?
    I think it serves to keep costs down. (The Haught Signature seems to be less expensive than the other packages they list on their web site.) Before Wilson Combat acquired Scattergun Technologies, SGT offered a Louis Awerbuck Signature model. It was relatively simple - trak loks, sidesaddle, factory wooden furniture, Parkerized (IIRC). Not the most expensive model they offered but their only one (at the time) that carried a popular shotgun instructor's name.

Also, Haught hasn't advocated RDS on shotguns...yet. In a recent podcast, he said he has a 1301 coming and plans to mount an Aimpoint on it. Would be interesting to see how he takes to the Micro.
    Last edited by Padwan; 05-30-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Padwan View Post
    I think it serves to keep costs down. (The Haught Signature seems to be less expensive than the other packages they list on their web site.) Before Wilson Combat acquired Scattergun Technologies, SGT offered a Louis Awerbuck Signature model. It was relatively simple - trak loks, sidesaddle, factory wooden furniture, Parkerized (IIRC). Not the most expensive model they offered but their only one (at the time) that carried a popular shotgun instructor's name.

Also, Haught hasn't advocated RDS on shotguns...yet. In a recent podcast, he said he has a 1301 coming and plans to mount an Aimpoint on it. Would be interesting to see how he takes to the Micro.
    Wilson is building these on either new guns or new receivers they are buying from Remington. All the dedicated RDS mounts for the 870 I am aware of attach via the factory hole pattern found on certain 870 models. The cost of starting with a receiver / gun factory drilled and tapped for optics mounts is negligible, if there is any additional cost at all.

I’m familiar with the podcast you are talking about where in he discussed dedicated mounts like the CROM being superior to 1913 rail mounted RDS due to height issues. I agree with him about dedicated mounts vs 1913 mounts for this application BTW.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Functions with less lethal ammunition that you most likely have no real use for anyway.

But apart from that, nothing.
    3/15/2016

[*]The open deer-hunter rear sight loses a little in precision (and range with slugs) but it's cheaper since it comes from the factory that way, plus the zero stays put.
    YMMV but without a healthy dose of red loctite, the rear rifle sights are prone to random drifting. If there's an extension and a magazine clamp, the clamp can have a significant effect on zero when it's removed, kind of a problem with glued down rifle sights. If there's no magazine clamp, my experience is that ghost rings and receiver mounted RDS will return close enough to zero for shotgun work.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I think they are both examples of top-of-form guns for their respective action type decade.
    The 870 stopped being state of the art 30 years ago. The Beretta has some warts, but it's about state of the art as we have at the moment.
    Last edited by txdpd; 05-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I have no idea. I saw it firsthand on Rob's gun. Hopefully there is something out there, if not now, then soon.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 05-31-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List