Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wilson Combat Rob Haught Special

Reviving an old one because it looks like with (a version of) Remington cranking them out, Wilson is back in the 870 game again. Haught Special and several others available on their site. They are built on the Express model.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    In the time between the original life of this thread and this one, I've had the chance to shoot a few Haught model Wilson shotguns and I can tell you that the action runs slicker than owl snot. When I say that I mean I can shoot .23 splits with one of Rob's guns.

That's not terribly relevant for anything other than gauging how smooth the action on the shotgun is. With my main teaching 870 that's had the stuffing kicked out of it for years but is fundamentally an Express gun, the best I've ever done is .28. Usually it's .30-.35. All because the action is just rougher.

Wilson's finish seems to hold up very well...so if you're wondering whether or not the Wilson version is a good value proposition, all I can say is that the specimens I've handled have all run splendidly. Do with that what you will...
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    In the time between the original life of this thread and this one, I've had the chance to shoot a few Haught model Wilson shotguns and I can tell you that the action runs slicker than owl snot. When I say that I mean I can shoot .23 splits with one of Rob's guns.

That's not terribly relevant for anything other than gauging how smooth the action on the shotgun is. With my main teaching 870 that's had the stuffing kicked out of it for years but is fundamentally an Express gun, the best I've ever done is .28. Usually it's .30-.35. All because the action is just rougher.

Wilson's finish seems to hold up very well...so if you're wondering whether or not the Wilson version is a good value proposition, all I can say is that the specimens I've handled have all run splendidly. Do with that what you will...
    What makes them so slick?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    What makes them so slick?
    My guess is the finish Wilson applies. I don't think they're vibra-honing the guns before they refinish them. Their finish has a fairly high teflon content in it, as best I remember.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post

That's high praise given your breadth and depth of knowledge on the 870. I'd hoped Wilson was doing some basic reliability tuning as part of the package, and perhaps they are but not declaring it. It's also possible they've inspected this new crop and determined reliability tuning isn't necessary. Vang Comp makes explicit that their Express and Tactical series 870s get extra TLC.

Either way, Wilson's always been by-and-large exceptional at standing behind their product if there is an issue.

I wish JD McGuire over at AI&P was still building them; far as I can tell he's officially retired from 870 wrenching.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

User Tag List