Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chilling Out - Before the Beep

One thing I have learned to help me to relax before shooting is to stay focused on the process and not the outcome. I'm not worried about going fast or winning I just want to perform the fundamentals correctly. Working through my mental routine helps keep me that way. I already know how I'm going to shoot the stage and maintaining visual patience isn't really something that makes my heart race. Now I'll admit that my hand often shakes a little after a stage but going into the next one I'm back to my routine and process focus.
    Music City Tactical Shooters

As a performing musician this is something I work on and struggle with constantly. For me, it never gets easier. I believe the body's response to a perceived high stress situation is different for everyone. I've seen people do well with relaxation techniques and meditation, personally that does nothing. I have found that embracing the adrenaline as a positive and getting really amped and excited is the only way to succeed for me. I have also experimented with beta blockers and while they block some of the adrenal response, they also seem to dull my mind a bit. The bottom line is we have no control over the sympathetic nervous system and in a situation where you want to do well, you will always have nerves. So you can try and fight it, or you can embrace it and use it to your advantage. For me, fighting it just makes it worse.(I tried this for years and still catch myself doing it sometimes.) On another note, I am a huge believer in positive self talk. This can be as simple as, I'm the best, I'm going to crush this. You can also say things like, I'm prepared and ready for anything in this stage. It really doesn't matter as long as it's positive, about the event at hand and most importantly, you believe it. I know a lot of this is over simplified. If anything needs more explanation just say so.

Side note: unless your some sort of ninja jedi that can slow his heart rate, the only part of the fight or flight response we can control is our breathing. So deep breathing exercises do sometimes help in controlling heart rate. Alone though, I have found them to be insufficient.
    Last edited by JConn; 02-14-2012 at 10:27 PM.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I always take a moment from loading my gun, before I indicate I am ready. I close my eyes, go through my plan in my head just once more. Finally take a moment clear my mind, breath in, hold breath for a moment, breath out. Indicate I am ready. On the beep I unleash hell.

That seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You left out shooter number 3. The relaxation techniques actually work for that guy.
    Indeed, Caleb. Obviously it works very well for a *lot* of people, or there wouldn't be so many top competitors who do it and recommend it. I just never got it to work for me, and when I found an alternative way to get into that zone, it was like a light bulb clicking on. Because I used to think that relaxation exercises were the only way.

I think it may, to a degree, depend on what your natural reaction to things is. If you get frustrated or lose your cool easily my way sounds like an awful idea. My problem is always that my brain is running a million miles a second, and I end up over-thinking instead of reacting, so I have to find some way to turn on the animal end of my brain instead. But I don't in any way think it's the best or only way - just something to maybe try if relaxation exercises aren't able to turn off your inner Statler and Waldorf.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You left out shooter number 3. The relaxation techniques actually work for that guy.
    He must live in the woods of the Pacific NW with bigfoot....

I don't live in the woods but it works for me. All of my best performances have been with nothing going on in my head prior to the beep. No self talk, no nervousness, no nothing. And then the buzzer goes off and it's nothing but the shooting and executing my plan. That isn't to say I'm bored or something, or not enjoying the experience. It's just... zen. Presence. Very nice feeling.

Usually it happens best after overwhelming evidence that I wasn't relaxed on the previous stage. Yes, I have been tanking at least one stage each match due to nervous tension. The first stage is always the hardest for me. I have to work on getting it to work in my favor.

Edit: I realized I'm just talking about club matches here. A major would tear me apart!
    Last edited by DonovanM; 02-15-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    Side note: unless your some sort of ninja jedi that can slow his heart rate, the only part of the fight or flight response we can control is our breathing. So deep breathing exercises do sometimes help in controlling heart rate. Alone though, I have found them to be insufficient.
    In competition, I've struggled with trying to calm myself before the beep. I'm more able to feel/hear my heart rate when I wear plugs and muffs, I've considered wearing my ANT+ heart rate strap for a match so I can gather some data points. My rate is definitely raised before the beep, and I can't slow it with breathing.

Taking 15-20s before giving the ready nod helps clear my mind. I used to feel obligated to give a nod when asked, now I make 'em wait until I'm actually ready. I think it's helped me become a bit more consistent.

I'd like to suggest a really good book that might help a lot. With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System
    This is a great book for anyone interested in having a consistent mental performance under pressure. The book will give you an introduction to Mental Management and is packed with techniques for competitors. Learn how performance is a function of three mental processes, how to control the mind under pressure and how to train for competition.
    About the author:
    Lanny Bassham, founder of Mental Mangement Systems, is the driving force behind the creation of the mental strategies presented in the seminars and products offered by the company. Lanny not only developed the Mental Management System but also used it personally to win 35 medals in international rifle competition for the USA including 22 world individual and team titles, setting 4 world records and winning the coveted Olympic Gold Medal in Montreal in 1976. This ranks him third in medal count for the USA among all shooters. Lanny is a member of the USA Shooting Hall of Fame. For the past 30 years, Lanny has been teaching Mental Management® to Olympians, business owners, Fortune 500 Corporations and the elite of sport and business community. The Mental Management® System is a recognized performance enhancement program that is taught to and used by World and Olympic Champions throughout the world. Lanny Bassham is recognized as a teacher of the world's best in the area of mental preparation for sport and business. His clients include the PGA, Fortune 500 companies, The United States Secret Service, The US Navy SEALS, The United States Army Marksmanship Unit, The US Marine Corps Marksmanship Unit and Olympic teams of USA, Canada, India, Japan, Republic of China, Korea and Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I'd like to suggest a really good book that might help a lot. With Winning in Mind: The Mental Management System
    Lanny's book helped me way more than anything from Enos. Once you understand what's going on with your conscious/subconscious/self-image it makes everything easy. You know why you get nervous and how to combat it, how to train and build confidence, how to visualize and stay positive. I keep notes from my multiple readings of With Winning in Mind on my phone at all times to periodically review and stay mentally sharp.

The book really clicked with me and I took a large step forward in my performance because of it. It'll all sound hokey at first, but once you start doing it you realize how powerful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    He must live in the woods of the Pacific NW with bigfoot....
    In all seriousness, the best thing I've discovered for relaxing at a match is getting 8+ hours of sleep the night before. If I'm well rested and have been exercising regularly prior to the match, my ability to control my breathing and nerves gets much better. I still certainly get the adrenaline surge, but it's not a wild surge of energy that pushes me to the edge.

User Tag List