Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three 44s

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    If I remember right the Grizzly 44 ammo was $22 for 20 at Sportsmans Warehouse. The cheapest I could find.

Is crimp crease a concern other than possibly jamming up the cylinder?
    Not sure exactly what you are referring to but, based on your initial post I'm guessing it's related to the "bullet creeping out of the case" (crimp jump). As you mentioned, crimp jump can tie up cylinder rotation if the bullet extends beyond the face of the cylinder and butts up against the barrel shank.

It's also possible that it might cause some accuracy issues depending on severity, powder type/charge, range to target to name a few.

It's typically not a dangerous condition if that's your question. I suppose that very short cases with light for caliber bullets in long cylinders might cause a squib of some sort (pretty unlikely).

Here's a picture of some factory .357 loads (Magtech IIRC) where the bullet moved forward under recoil. Had the same thing happen with Rem 38 Special +P 158gr HPs. Being a handloader, I reseated/recrimped the bullets in the pictue and recrimped the remaining unfired ammo.

I'm a little surprised that you had the problem with Grizzly ammo. Is your lightweight 629 a Titanium/Scadium M329 or a short barreled 629?

Paul

Sorry, I meant bullet creep.

Went out again yesterday. Had with me the last 7 rounds of Grizzly, HSM 44 special and Federal American Eagle.

Firing out of a S&W 329 PD. In the first and last picture, the round on the left is out of the box and the round on the right is the 6th unfired round after 5 shots.

Last edited by Jay585; 06-04-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

To be honest, the problem is the gun, not the ammunition. This is a result of the increased recoil impulses caused by the lightweight firearm, especially with harder recoiling cartridges. Either start handloading so you can control the amount of crimp on your rounds or use a gun made from steel.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Cool ‘volvers.

Trooper,

Thank you good to know. Manual says that the owner should get different ammo if that happens, but I just wanted to verify that it’s not an issue besides possibly cylinder jamming. If it could have an issue as bad as bullet setback, I would fix the issue, but if it’s not a problem I’ll finish off the box and look for other brands.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Looks to me like the Fed American Eagle ammo would jump crimp even in a 629. I wouldn't worry about the Grizzly or the HSM Cowboy ammo. If you have any of the Grizzly left, check the location of the crimp in the crimp grove on all the ammo. Crimp position will vary a bit with case length. Your pic of the Grizzly ammo could have been due to different crimp positions rather than movement under recoil.

All the lightweight revolvers need to be tested for crimp jump with ammo that is to be used for self defense. Lightweight J Frame .357 Mags are known offenders with some ammo.

Enjoy that 329 and if you have the time/means, certainly consider getting into loading your own.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Trooper,

Thank you good to know. Manual says that the owner should get different ammo if that happens, but I just wanted to verify that it’s not an issue besides possibly cylinder jamming. If it could have an issue as bad as bullet setback, I would fix the issue, but if it’s not a problem I’ll finish off the box and look for other brands.
    You may very well encounter that issue with other brands too, with jacketed bullets. Cast bullets provide a deeper crimping groove than the shallow cannelure on a jacketed bullet. With a jacketed bullet you'll really have to increase the crimp to keep them in place. In that case you may risk splitting the jacket material and causing separation. This is pretty common with heavy recoiling handguns. With a light gun like yours I don't know if you could totally prevent it. It may just wind up being and issue you'll have to constantly monitor.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Ugh. I haven’t shot enough magnums through my 4” 69 to notice this happening, but I definitely should start watching for it.

User Tag List