Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex IWB 2 or Milt Sparks VM2 for Strong-side Carry?

JM Custom Kydex IWB 2 or Milt Sparks VM2 for Strong-side Carry?

I currently carry a full size USP 45 in an Aliengear Cloaktuck 3.5 in the 3-3:30 position. While I find this to be a comfortable enough holster, I want to find something of higher quality. I have a JM custom kydex AIWB 2.5 on order so I can try out appendix carry, but I want to have another good holster for when I want to carry on my side. I've narrowed it down to the JMCK IWB 2 and the Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. I think both will be of good quality and are very similar in form, but I can't decide between getting kydex or leather (not really looking for another hybrid). I think the kydex would be more secure but I am fine with leather, especially when it comes from a reputable manufacturer like Sparks. I think the leather may be more comfortable though so it's hard to decide. Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

For Tupperware, JMCK #2

For Classic heavy metal, Sparks;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by jwhit View Post
    I think the kydex would be more secure ...
    I can't tell you which you would like more, but leather holsters are typically quite secure. There is typically more range of retention with a leather holster than with a kydex holster, though I can't speak specifically for the JMCK IWB #2.

Kydex typically only has about a 1/4" of retention, once past that point, the gun practically jumps out of the holster. Admittedly, you usually have screw retention devices on most kydex where you can really crank up the tension, but I don't usually want to live with a holster dialed up that much.

Paraphrasing the late Paul Gomez, at about the 4:45 mark, "the good thing about kydex is it is fast, the bad thing about kydex is it is fast."

I have both leather and kydex holsters and like them both. In general, when I think of speed, I think of my kydex holsters. When I think of retention, I think of my leather holsters.

You'll have about a six month wait for the VM II, and it's going to cost about twice what the JMCK will cost you, so those things could also weigh into your decision.

It will definitely be easier to get the JMCK. The Sparks will be more comfortable. Either is good.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    @jwhit - Did you mean IWB 2 or OWB 2?

Site Supporter
    I have not owned a Milt Sparks holster, and use a JM Custom Kydex IWB #3 any time I carry IWB.

I prefer kydex for IWB because it is thinner than reinforced leather. The top of a leather IWB holster will typically have two layers of leather on either side of the gun, and possibly a metal stiffener in between. Holsters with the metal stiffener typically use thinner leather since the metal provides the stiffness, but still add noticeable thickness. Holsters which rely entirely on the leather reinforcement can get quite thick. One leather IWB I used to own which did not use a metal reinforcement, and relied entirely on the leather for stiffness, added at least 1/4" to the total thickness which had to be concealed, and which had to fit between my pants waistband and me.

Leather is typically more secure. Kydex is very forgiving of drawing the gun at an angle with respect to the holster, while leather is unforgiving of failing to draw the gun in line with the holster. If you are drawing the gun properly, you are drawing it in line with the holster. Someone grabbing the gun may be less likely to draw it in line with the holster.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @jwhit - Did you mean IWB 2 or OWB 2?
    IWB

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I can't tell you which you would like more, but leather holsters are typically quite secure. There is typically more range of retention with a leather holster than with a kydex holster, though I can't speak specifically for the JMCK IWB #2.

Kydex typically only has about a 1/4" of retention, once past that point, the gun practically jumps out of the holster. Admittedly, you usually have screw retention devices on most kydex where you can really crank up the tension, but I don't usually want to live with a holster dialed up that much.

Paraphrasing the late Paul Gomez, at about the 4:45 mark, "the good thing about kydex is it is fast, the bad thing about kydex is it is fast."

I have both leather and kydex holsters and like them both. In general, when I think of speed, I think of my kydex holsters. When I think of retention, I think of my leather holsters.

You'll have about a six month wait for the VM II, and it's going to cost about twice what the JMCK will cost you, so those things could also weigh into your decision.
    I have an idea, I'll get the JMCK while I wait for the VMII and just have both

Good points about the leather, I used to think they were too "old school" but I'm starting to realize there is nothing wrong with a quality leather holster.

The Sparks holster can be your winter holster and the JMCK your summer holster. Having spent some time in Little Rock, I assure you the kydex saves drying out leather holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post

For Classic heavy metal, Sparks;

I’m in love.

User Tag List