Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK45C/ Streamlight TLR-7(8) Custom Key

HK45C/ Streamlight TLR-7(8) Custom Key

Hi guys, first post...

Like many of you who run HK45Cs, it has been a frustrating pursuit finding a duty-capable weaponlight that will fit the truncated rail of the 45C. I’ve waited pensively every SHOT show, year after year, hoping for “that light.” This year, the new Streamlight TLR-7 and -8 seemed to be the ones that would end that cycle of frustration but when the showfloor dust settled it turned out that they wouldn’t fit either.

Some folks found a way to turn one of the stock keys around backwards and do some filing to make the light fit the 45C but I designed a 3D-printed solution to allow use of the Streamlight TLR-7 and -8 on the HK45C natively.

This design shares the same basic geometry as the stock keyset but moves the recoil lug to the rear of cross-bolt to allow it to interface with the center slot of the pistol’s rail. In addition to the relocation of the lug, the key incorporates two other design features: a central, longitudinal rib to impart stiffness to the platform as well as tensioning tabs on the rear of the recoil lug which help to eliminate slop in the interface between the light and the pistol and keep the laser zeroed under recoil.

I outsourced the design to an industry-leading industrial printer to print on their new HP Multi Jet Fusion machine in PA11 nylon and was very pleased with the result.

Inserted into the key recess of the light with crossbolt and clamp in place.

You want a little room between the light and the trigger guard to account for frame flex during the kinetics of the shot.

*If anyone is interested in one, let me know. I can have more printed.

Nice work!

As a heads up, the TLR1 and TLR2 will also fit the HK45C. Take the rail key out of the slot it is supposed to go in on top of the light and move it into the other open space on the top of the light. It won't screw in, but the light being attached to the gun will prevent it from falling out. It will be a decent friction fit in that slot too, so it won't rattle and will serve to keep the light from falling off your gun.
    Last edited by Gio; 05-29-2018 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mfrey View Post
    Hi guys, first post...

Like many of you who run HK45Cs, it has been a frustrating pursuit finding a duty-capable weaponlight that will fit the truncated rail of the 45C. I’ve waited pensively every SHOT show, year after year, hoping for “that light.” This year, the new Streamlight TLR-7 and -8 seemed to be the ones that would end that cycle of frustration but when the showfloor dust settled it turned out that they wouldn’t fit either.

Some folks found a way to turn one of the stock keys around backwards and do some filing to make the light fit the 45C but I designed a 3D-printed solution to allow use of the Streamlight TLR-7 and -8 on the HK45C natively.

This design shares the same basic geometry as the stock keyset but moves the recoil lug to the rear of cross-bolt to allow it to interface with the center slot of the pistol’s rail. In addition to the relocation of the lug, the key incorporates two other design features: a central, longitudinal rib to impart stiffness to the platform as well as tensioning tabs on the rear of the recoil lug which help to eliminate slop in the interface between the light and the pistol and keep the laser zeroed under recoil.

I outsourced the design to an industry-leading industrial printer to print on their new HP Multi Jet Fusion machine in PA11 nylon and was very pleased with the result.

Inserted into the key recess of the light with crossbolt and clamp in place.

You want a little room between the light and the trigger guard to account for frame flex during the kinetics of the shot.

*If anyone is interested in one, let me know. I can have more printed.
    Any ability to test this on a PX4 Compact?

I don't have a PX4 here to test but if you have calipers and can give me the measurement between the trigger guard (where it meets the frame) and the front face of the rail slot, I can give you an idea as to whether or not it will work. It would also be good to know the width of the rail slot to make sure that it is consistent with the dimensions of my key's lug. There is some variation in how manufacturers spec their rails.

If you like, you could try one and send it back if it doesn't work.

I could always adapt my design to specifically address the needs of other models but there would have to be enough interest in a particular model to justify the time commitment. As a note, I have about 0.065" of leeway in the location of the rail lug if the light needs to be moved further forward away from the trigger guard of the PX4 or other sub-compact platforms.

Here's a more universal variant that eliminates the central rib and the tensioning tabs to accommodate a variety of manufacturers and models that might not share HK's recessed serial number plate and might have rail grooves that are slightly dimesionally divergent from HK's.

It's pretty much identical to the streamlight stock keyset but with the lug relocated rearward to fit on shorter rails than what the standard keyset will allow.

The lug can be moved around pretty easily in the design now if anyone has a particular need and can provide measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by mfrey View Post
    I don't have a PX4 here to test but if you have calipers and can give me the measurement between the trigger guard (where it meets the frame) and the front face of the rail slot, I can give you an idea as to whether or not it will work. It would also be good to know the width of the rail slot to make sure that it is consistent with the dimensions of my key's lug. There is some variation in how manufacturers spec their rails.

If you like, you could try one and send it back if it doesn't work.

I could always adapt my design to specifically address the needs of other models but there would have to be enough interest in a particular model to justify the time commitment. As a note, I have about 0.065" of leeway in the location of the rail lug if the light needs to be moved further forward away from the trigger guard of the PX4 or other sub-compact platforms.
    Sorry, I just now caught this..

I don't have a PX4 compact yet, mostly due to the inability to mount a decent light to it. I'm a weird one who likes to put lights on everything.

I’ve got a PX4 Compact and can measure. Just need to know what data points you need and in what measurement (mm, inches, etc).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a quick measuring guide for anyone interested in having me work out a solution for their set-up. Along with these measurements, I'll need photos of the rail and, if possible, how the light sits on the gun when pushed up against the triggerguard.

Measurements can be in English or metric but it's important to be accurate. You'll need calipers or a micrometer. A ruler won't suffice.

New member here. Just created an account to see if it would be possible to get one of these? I recently purchased a Viridian X5l and was disappointed with it. It would lose power if bumped. It’s a shame since I really liked the size and look of it on my HK45CT. I returned it and I was interested in the Streamlight TLR8. I’d prefer this over modifying the original key. I don’t know why this isn’t more popular. I was having hell trying to find a light that fit.

Sure. I'll add you to the list. I'll be ordering a new run pretty soon.

User Tag List