Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCI 200 primers causing slower velocity?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I regret missing that site, I see so many references to excellent work on it.
    This is the first time I've heard of it and I've been reloading since the late 90s. Been a long time member of a number of reloading-oriented sites too.

Not sure how it flew under my radar...

BTW, if you don't have it yet, Ken Waters' Pet Loads is a good resource. You're welcome to peruse my copy if you want a preview.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    So if I understand this you and JV have similar rifles, and using the same data your loads were slower in your rifle than his were in his rifle. That it?

If you want to compare his chrono data to yours, you really need to shoot his ammo in your rifle. Otherwise there are rifle variables you can't account for. If his ammo hits X velocity in yours, but your ammo doesn't reach X, it's something in your ammo.
    Per and earlier post, it sounds like they're using the same physical rifle. That sounds odd, but was what he said.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Per and earlier post, it sounds like they're using the same physical rifle. That sounds odd, but was what he said.

Chris
    I took it to mean he was shooting the 175 and 195 in the same rifle, but you could be right. The string of posts is confusing.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    I took it to mean he was shooting the 175 and 195 in the same rifle, but you could be right. The string of posts is confusing.
    Per post #9, "Same rifle. One rifle."

But yeah, it was getting a bit confusing at times.

Chris

So if I understand this you and JV have similar rifles, and using the same data your loads were slower in your rifle than his were in his rifle. That it?

If you want to compare his chrono data to yours, you really need to shoot his ammo in your rifle. Otherwise there are rifle variables you can't account for. If his ammo hits X velocity in yours, but your ammo doesn't reach X, it's something in your ammo.
    I understand your conclusion and agree, but the real problem seems to be that I was using my chrono mounted to the suppressor. I will update this thread when I confirm.
    #RESIST

More grist for the primer discussion:

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/05/doe...s-comparisons/

BL, primers make a difference, but they are worth testing in your gun with your loads to decide. I know I’ve tested them in my rifles, and Wolf produced the largest groups, Federal next smaller, and CCI the smallest. All standard disclaimers apply.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    More grist for the primer discussion:

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/05/doe...s-comparisons/

BL, primers make a difference, but they are worth testing in your gun with your loads to decide. I know I’ve tested them in my rifles, and Wolf produced the largest groups, Federal next smaller, and CCI the smallest. All standard disclaimers apply.
    Everything is a variable. Many claim that the Russian Tula and Wolf primers give good results and that has been my experience. I really like the small rifle magnum primers for 223 and 6x47L. Too bad you can't seem to find them any longer.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I hope you figured it out. However for the sake of discussion and assessing variables....

I have found with compressed loads I have had more consistency with Magnum or BR primers. Logic would say the slightly hotter primer gives better initial ignition, but this could also be because of the burn rate of the powders that I use. When using uncompressed loads I have found little different in using standard or magnum primers, however I have found BR premiers are worth the extra if you are chasing low SD. When I refer to consistency, I mean not only SD over a single test, but a smaller and more predictable velocity change with environmental differences.

Also keep in mind that as a barrel ages and the throat wears it may be pertinent to address OAL periodically. If you have the bullet jammed to lands (more pressure) as the throat wears that extra space could change pressure, in turn velocity.

Looks like I gained an easy 60FPS by removing the suppressor. I think that was the problem with the chrono.
    #RESIST

User Tag List