Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Session - AIWB Draw from Concealment

First Session - AIWB Draw from Concealment

I finally hit the outdoor range yesterday with the pistols, where drawing from concealment is allowed. All of my previous experience (decades worth) has been drawing from strong side just behind the hip, so this was my first live-fire drawing from AIWB. Equipment used was a Walther PPS M1 (paddles) and a JMCK AIWB Holster. Target was a standard IDPA cardboard set about 20 feet away.

I started off slow and deliberate, using my support arm to sweep-up a polo shirt, draw and fire one shot with a flash sight picture. I ended up doing about 100 repetitions, and by the end it felt very smooth and natural. I had no timer but it seemed I ended up just over 2 seconds from the time my hands moved to the shot being fired.

My observations from this first session;

As expected, drawing and getting a shot off using AIWB is far smoother, more efficient and certainly quicker compared to having to reach around to behind the hip.

The PPS really pops out of the JMCK holster nicely! I have the retention set so the holster holds the pistol when turned upside-down and moderately shaken.

It took some experimentation finding a consistent method of getting the shirt out of the way. I ended up using my finger tips to catch the bottom of the shirt and an upward sweeping motion of the hand.

Where I could use some guidance;

Compared to drawing from strong side, I was unable to get as good of a grip on the pistol. More adjustment of grip was required as the pistol was presented on-target, regardless of how hard I tried to get an optimum grip out of the holster. I would say the majority of the time I did not have an optimal grip by the time the sights were on-target and the trigger press had commenced. That said, the vast majority of the hits were in the A-zone.

Any advice on getting a better grip - or the AIWB draw-stroke in general - is appreciated!

Small guns are just harder to quickly get a good grip with. Were you using the eight round magazine, that is easier to get a grip with, than say the flush six rounder?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Small guns are just harder to quickly get a good grip with. Were you using the eight round magazine, that is easier to get a grip with, than say the flush six rounder?
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm using the 8-round mags as I found the extra length helps with this.

I tried some repetitions placing my support hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard (which is not my normal grip) and found it helpful pushing the pistol fully into the web of my hand and getting a consistently decent grip. I was reluctant to keep doing so because that's not how I grip normally.

The biggest issue I have found with AIWB carry is that people will sacrifice a solid purchase for concealment. This isn't the users fault, it's a common issue with smaller holsters. In order to keep the gun from toppling over the belt, the holster maker forces the holster to sit lower on the belt line. This ultimately creates an issue with the shooter attempting to get a good grip. Rather than a full firing grip, you have to pinch the grip then draw.

A simple solution is to carry a bigger gun. Pictured is my 34 & WML with an outline to show that equal parts are above and below the belt.

Another solution is to find a maker that makes an elongated holster for your gun. Minuteman defense makes a G43 holster that is elongated for this very reason.

As stated above, lower conceals better, a higher holster position draws better. Same with wedges, the bigger the wedge, the tighter the grip is, and thus harder/slower to grab. Don’t laugh, but sucking in your stomach as you draw can open up grip space.

I would not try to fix the grip with your support hand, in the way you describe. Are you flagging your strong thumb or driving it down between gun and your body? I like to hit high on the back of the slide and ride down into position with the thumb high, on pistols that allow that, but that is personal preference. A 43/PPS is slower for me to draw than a PPQ/19 size pistol. The P99AS and C make great AIWB pistols.

Congrats OP for making the transition.
    As GJM stated, that gun is tough to get a good grip.
    I use the PPS M1 appendix also,[in a KSG Sidekick, made to an extended length...made to a P99 length] and it took experimenting with ride height and angle to get a good grip. I Ended up using Raven 1.5 overhooks, but I recently went to https://www.discreetcarryconcepts.co...ype-p104838156 these clips.
    I carry it with the 8 rounder, and the 7 as a backup. Only used the 6 while working at a VERY NPE business.
    Tucked, the PPS just vanished with the 6 rounder.

https://www.discreetcarryconcepts.co...ype-p104838156
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CSW; 05-28-2018 at 07:40 AM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    The biggest issue I have found with AIWB carry is that people will sacrifice a solid purchase for concealment. This isn't the users fault, it's a common issue with smaller holsters. In order to keep the gun from toppling over the belt, the holster maker forces the holster to sit lower on the belt line. This ultimately creates an issue with the shooter attempting to get a good grip. Rather than a full firing grip, you have to pinch the grip then draw.

Another solution is to find a maker that makes an elongated holster for your gun. Minuteman defense makes a G43 holster that is elongated for this very reason.
    The JMCK holster I have is the elongated version, which was recommended by Tony;

The holster still sits low, but the PPS is a short pistol;

As stated above, lower conceals better, a higher holster position draws better. Same with wedges, the bigger the wedge, the tighter the grip is, and thus harder/slower to grab. Don’t laugh, but sucking in your stomach as you draw can open up grip space.

I would not try to fix the grip with your support hand, in the way you describe. Are you flagging your strong thumb or driving it down between gun and your body? I like to hit high on the back of the slide and ride down into position with the thumb high, on pistols that allow that, but that is personal preference. A 43/PPS is slower for me to draw than a PPQ/19 size pistol. The P99AS and C make great AIWB pistols.
    The sucking-in-the-stomach trick seems to help. And I probably have a bit too much stomach to begin with... ;-/

Agreed, I would prefer a consistent grip on all guns at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The JMCK holster I have is the elongated version, which was recommended by Tony;

The holster still sits low, but the PPS is a short pistol;

The sucking-in-the-stomach trick seems to help. And I probably have a bit too much stomach to begin with... ;-/

Agreed, I would prefer a consistent grip on all guns at all times.
    I would try canting the holster, if possible. Ensuring you can acquire a full firing grip before drawing the firearm is a key part of consistency.

The only time I would want a gun to sit that low is if I were in a non-permissive environment and concealment were more important.

Try adjusting your split loops up a hole, so the holster rides higher. I also think that is more wedge than you need for the PPS, and you might temporarily remove it and see how that changes things. If you prefer that, you could try Tony’s pad instead of the wedge.

Try adjusting your split loops up a hole, so the holster rides higher.
    Well, color me ignorant as I didn't realize the belt clip was adjustable. ;-/

So I spent a few hours experimenting and discovered a slight cant moving the grip up and away from the belt is helpful. I tried moving the entire holster higher above the belt line but it became unstable (flopping forward over belt). I think it's now adjusted about optimum all factors considered.

Many thanks to all for your input!

User Tag List