Thread: AAR: Defensive handgun, red dot focus: Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan

AAR: Defensive handgun, red dot focus: Sage Dynamics/Aaron Cowan

Defensive Handgun, Red dot focus
    Aaron Cowan, Sage Dynamics
    5/26-27/2018
    Shooter’s Gauntlet, Monroeton , PA

For the reader’s frame of reference, I have been shooting regularly for 5 years and taken classes from Mas Ayoob, Steve Fisher, and firearms instruction through a PA police academy.
    I compete in USPSA and IDPA 3-4 times a month and am current ranked at “expert” in IDPA, unclassified in USPSA I score around the high B low A area. As for use of the red dot optic,
    I have had one for a year, but with only about 1000 rounds through it both in practice and in matches.

My Gear:
    Glock 17 gen 4 milled by ATEI to fit with a Trijicon RMR06 and front slide serrations. The gun also has installed a Striker control device, Overwatch precision TAC trigger,
    Agency arms magwell, and a streamlight TLR-HL, the frame was stippled by me. Phlster spotlight holster carried concealed AIWB and a (old style)
    Raven concealment OWB double mag carrier. TQ in a eleven-ten carrier.

Other students gear:
    10 other students, most with Glocks or M&Ps, 1 used a Sig P320. Every gun I saw was equipped with some type of Trijicon RMR and was enhanced via stippling, comps,
    magwells, lights, aftermarket triggers, etc. Most shot from concealed AIWB. Most everybody also had some degree of med gear from TQs to full IFAKs.

Weather:
    Day 1 was in the mid 80s and sunny, Day 2 rained with some occasional breaks.

Day 1
    Most of the students arrived well before the start time and informally introduced themselves, at the start time Aaron went over range safety and the medical plan.
    Once we got targets setup, Aaron talked about how to align the dot consistently on presentation from the holster. Shortly after was grip and recoil management.
    Aaron believes in having tight accuracy standards while still shooting at a practical speed, particularly in relation to the human body. He talked about how to listen to
    the dot and make adjustments based on how the dot is moving in the optic window. He strongly emphasized that when students practice on their own, that they use
    “deliberate” practice and really look for the whys when things go wrong or right.
    Later in the day Aaron brought out “3-d” cardboard targets to show how your point of aim can change based on how the threat is angled. Aaron ended each talking point
    with a demo before we started. Aaron talked about shooting cadence and encourage everyone to try to “ make the wheels come off” then dial it back from there.
    By the final live fire exercise I could fire a magazine and never have the dot leave the RMR window. The day was ended with a lecture on verbal commands and
    de-escalation and when they are or are not appropriate. He also touched on criminal mindset and recommends some books to read.

Day 2
    It rained during the night prior and throughout the entire day, range conditions wet and muddy.
    Again Aaron started with a safety brief and a recap of the medical plan. The first exercise was a scenario using 3-d targets, each student was
    presented a unique situation that they do not see beforehand and must work through locating threats while insuring good hits and not shooting non-threats.
    Aaron structures his class in a "most likely to least likely" in the context of defensive shooting, much of the class was at 3-7 yards before moving back to 15-25.
    We next went back to drills covering one handed shooting, malfunction clearance, movement, and turning, as well as shooting from the ground.
    Also covered was working the RDS when it’s lens is covered by mud (students used masking tape). We shot more drills at distance, 15-25 yards.
    Again Aaron demo’ed and explained everything beforehand.

The class ended with a timed and scored qualification that covered everything he taught. Those that passed the qualification earned a “red” patch”
    and the best overall shooter earned a “black patch” As we wrapped up Aaron asked the class for feedback all of which was positive, he also recommended
    us to take other classes not just by him but from other instructors. He specifically mentions competition instructors for those who want to learn better mechanics.

Observations:
    Student skill level was very competent in safety, handling, and shooting

Day 2 killed all the myths about dots and rain and mud, during the final qual at the 25 yard line I was able to keep all my hits in 5”X7”(about) “A zone”
    even with water running down the dot window.

One student cut his hand during a malfunction clearance drill, the designated primary medical guy was able to get him patched up. The injured student was able to finish the day.

Over the course of the class I fired around 800 rounds without cleaning or additional lubrication, the only issues I had were muddy mags that would
    not drop free and a stovepipe that I induced.

Malfunctions:
    1 dot failure, student had to use a backup gun (day 1)
    1 front sight ejection (day 1)
    1 case separation that would not allow a student to chamber a round (remanufactured ammo)
    2 high round count RMRs that did not hold zero (day 1)
    1 battery fail on Aaron’s training gun, he said it had been over a year if not two since he put it in.
    1 match barrel that would lock the gun up when setting up double feed drills

Aaron mentioned one of his RMRs has over 21,000 rounds on it and still working

My thoughts:

My dot acquisition from the holster is now more consistent and easier. Even with the bad weather I could fire a full magazine at around a .3 split time
    and never lose the dot and immediately call my shots. That is a skill I knew could be done, but was not able to reach before the class.
    The weather conditions justified the frame stippling to me, shooting a wet muddy gun one hand only was a non-issue.

Having seen many of his youtube videos I had a good idea of what Aaron was about. He has published much of his thought on how to use a red dot online
    however having taken the class and adding more context to it has been an incredible help. Aaron is himself and excellent shooter and intelligent guy, it is
    immediately apparent that he has put a lot of thought into his class content and said that it continues to evolve based on student feedback and new information.

Name:  20180527_182035_LI (2).jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  20180527_151928 (2).jpg
Views: 759
Size:  58.9 KB
    Last edited by Artemas2; 05-28-2018 at 06:25 AM.

User Tag List