Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-14 failure to feed

In my experience, Ruger has pretty good warranty; you can send it back to them and they'll make it right, and probably at no charge to you.

https://ruger.com/service/partsService.html

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I apologise for forgetting to post an update. Busy busy busy...

I disassembled and cleaned the bolt. Did not observe anything unusual regarding the extractor.

The next day I had a chance to do a quick testfire. I shot 100 rounds using three different Ruger magazines. Up-drills, double taps, Mozambique Drills, some deliberate shots as well.

Older 20 round magazine: 1 failure to feed within the first few rounds, no other malfunctions in 40 rounds.

New 30 round magazine: many malfuntions in 40 rounds. Malfunctions also when magazine loaded with 10 rounds or less.

New 20 round magazine: several malfunctions in 20 rounds. I noticed all malfunctions happened when I attempted to shoot quickly. When I fired single deliberate shots the magazine functioned. When I tried two quick shots, I could get the magazine to malfunction quickly. Strange.

Anyways, while this was a very quick and inconclusive test, it showed some promise. Next, I shall take a closer look at the magazine. Careful cleaning of the newer magazines and comparison of their feedlips versus the older magazine is the next step.

Final observation: when the rifle functioned, shooting it was a hoot! Not as easy as shooting an AR, but fun.

Considering the price I paid for the rifle, and especially the price compared to AK and AR prices, and the fact that I acquired it before our magazine capacity ban making it a pre-ban firearm, and the fact I would not have been able to buy a more expensive rifle at the time, I'm still happy that I bought it. It is firmly delegated to the role of not-at-all serious use only, though. Oh well.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    I've been a dabbler in the Mini14 for years. I understand the strange attraction to the platform and appreciate the fact that unless "tacticool'ed" out - it maintains a low visual profile for such a gun. Don't feel bad about liking "chubby chicks" - I like them too

Have you detail stripped and cleaned the extractor yet? Someone has posted a pretty good YouTube video on it - do it before YouTube pulls it! That seems to be the most likely cause to me right now. Has the rifle always done this or is this a recent development?

Also, are you getting much lateral play in when the magazine locks into the rifle? When you rapid fire are you maybe pushing on the magazine in such a way to induce a malfunction?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    In my experience, Ruger has pretty good warranty; you can send it back to them and they'll make it right, and probably at no charge to you.

So I guess you didn’t read the OP ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So I guess you didn’t read the OP ?
    Yes, I read it. My experience didn't involve sending it directly to Ruger either; per Ruger's directive, I sent it to a factory-approved warranty station. If the OP wishes to contact Ruger, they'll tell him where to seek service.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Have you detail stripped and cleaned the extractor yet?
    Yup, part of the whole disassembling and cleaning the bolt.

Also, are you getting much lateral play in when the magazine locks into the rifle? When you rapid fire are you maybe pushing on the magazine in such a way to induce a malfunction?
    Eh, how much is "much"? All magazines wiggle about a bit when locked into the gun, both front to back and side to side.

So, I got the chance to do some shooting. Took my Mini and the two Ruger 20 round magazines. Action shooting pits were full (again...) so I ended up at the 150 meter rifle range. I shot from prone with sling support (this didn't go so well...), prone unsupported, kneeling, standing supported (leaning against a vertical support), offhand, and from the bench. I shot 60 rounds with the older magazine that had been more reliable, and 80 rounds through the newer magazine. I purposefully placed lateral pressure against the magazine when shooting kneeling, and I pulled straight back and down on the magazine when posting up against one of the supporting pillars of the range facility when shooting from supported standing. This had no effect whatsoever on the function of the magazines.

Throughout my range trip, I had about 1 failure to feed per magazine. All but one of the failures were when I was not deliberately touching the magazine (in fact twice the failure to feed was the first round from the magazine, when my support hand was near the charging handle). And for the first time ever, I had a few failures to extract! And few of the casings that extracted went straight up, not to the right as usual.

One thing that was missing from this range trip was rapid fire (what with the targets being 150 meters away, not 15 meters like the last time). But it does look like I might try a new extractor.

All ammunition was PPU bulk 55 grain FMJ. Same ammunition has worked well in my AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

This is a rifle built in the 90's and bought second-hand. While Ruger in the U.S. might be inclined to fix the rifle if asked, I very much doubt the local importer is that generous.

Yup, part of the whole disassembling and cleaning the bolt.

Eh, how much is "much"? All magazines wiggle about a bit when locked into the gun, both front to back and side to side.

So, I got the chance to do some shooting. Took my Mini and the two Ruger 20 round magazines. Action shooting pits were full (again...) so I ended up at the 150 meter rifle range. I shot from prone with sling support (this didn't go so well...), prone unsupported, kneeling, standing supported (leaning against a vertical support), offhand, and from the bench. I shot 60 rounds with the older magazine that had been more reliable, and 80 rounds through the newer magazine. I purposefully placed lateral pressure against the magazine when shooting kneeling, and I pulled straight back and down on the magazine when posting up against one of the supporting pillars of the range facility when shooting from supported standing. This had no effect whatsoever on the function of the magazines.

Throughout my range trip, I had about 1 failure to feed per magazine. All but one of the failures were when I was not deliberately touching the magazine (in fact twice the failure to feed was the first round from the magazine, when my support hand was near the charging handle). And for the first time ever, I had a few failures to extract! And few of the casings that extracted went straight up, not to the right as usual.

One thing that was missing from this range trip was rapid fire (what with the targets being 150 meters away, not 15 meters like the last time). But it does look like I might try a new extractor.

All ammunition was PPU bulk 55 grain FMJ. Same ammunition has worked well in my AR.
    Wow, you are in a pickle. I think a new extractor might be a good path - it should solve your extraction issues and also might ride over your case rim easier preventing the failures to go into battery. One last question - do you have any modifications to the gas and recoil system? The only time I had serious problems with on of my mini's was when I stupidly installed a recoil buffer (because it was thinking less jarring of the action would result in better accuracy). That buffer created a multitude of issues from short stroking to failure to go into battery, once I removed it - the gun when back to full reliability.

Good luck and keep us posted.

One last question - do you have any modifications to the gas and recoil system? The only time I had serious problems with on of my mini's was when I stupidly installed a recoil buffer
    Not that I know of. I bought the rifle used, and the previous owner had changed front and rear sight, added an optics mount (removed) and a short piece of Picatinny rail to the stock. I am not aware of any other modifications and I have disassembled the rifle. I imagine any sort of buffer or other modification would be clearly visible during disassembly.

IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Not that I know of. I bought the rifle used, and the previous owner had changed front and rear sight, added an optics mount (removed) and a short piece of Picatinny rail to the stock. I am not aware of any other modifications and I have disassembled the rifle. I imagine any sort of buffer or other modification would be clearly visible during disassembly.

Yeah, buffers would be visible. Have you tried any of the factory 5 round magazines? The fact that the rifle is used means that a lot could have been done to the rifle without your knowledge. I would start with the extractor and only factory magazines (I don't know how easy it would be for you to get a new magazine) and go from there.

Yeah, buffers would be visible. Have you tried any of the factory 5 round magazines? The fact that the rifle is used means that a lot could have been done to the rifle without your knowledge. I would start with the extractor and only factory magazines (I don't know how easy it would be for you to get a new magazine) and go from there.
    Actually no, I haven't. I really would like to have a Ruger 5 round magazine, but because of this magazine ban thing we're having, I've been focusing on getting larger capacity magazines while I can. The 20 round magazines are Ruger mags though.

IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List