Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying bulk shotshells with an eye towards eventually reloading them?

Can I suggest you go see a shotgun fitter? Commercially made shotguns sold in the US are typically made to fit a male, about 5'8" tall, right handed and right master eye, and about 180 pounds. If you deviate from that, you probably need a fitter to make some changes to your shotgun.

I am 6'4", weigh 235 and need really long sleeves on my shirts, and I typically broke about 15 of 25 in Skeet, until I saw a fitter. With that, and a little advice, I suddenly typically broke 22, maybe more.

The most important of the advice from the fitter was that if you are right eyed and right handed, you'll aim your shotgun with your left hand. He favored grasping the front wood out near the front, and do so extending the left index finger down the barrels. He wanted me to focus on the bird, but look ahead of it by the lead I needed, and the shotgun would follow my eye. When in doubt about the necessary lead for a bird, use the longer estimate, because the shot cloud is actually a teardrop, with a long tail, and if you err on the long side the tail will still nail the bird.

Regarding what shotshell hulls are best, the answer used to be easy: Winchester AA. Then along came the various compression formed Remingtons, which were as good. Of late, I have been using a lot of the European straight wall hulls, and their life is excellent. If you're laying in a lot of empties, be aware that the "Euro-trash" empties use a slightly larger primer than most US made ammo. Most US primers will be loose in the European cases, and may drop out. Conversely, I have used a lot of European spec shotgun primers in Winchester AA, Remington & other US spec hulls, and they work fine, but wreck the hull for future use with most US primers. You can find lots of discussions regarding these matters on the Shotgun World discussion forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If you are near Atlanta - I will give you all the hulls you want. As stated earlier, the price of components got so high I quit loading a long time ago. I loaded AA and Remington STS but I also loaded a lot of cheap, low brass hulls because they were so plentiful.

That's a kind offer! I'm pretty close to being in the opposite corner of CONUS from Atlanta, but I do appreciate it.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

@NuJudge , you and I are of a similar size. If I got serious about wingshooting I would definitely need a custom gunstopck.
    @peterb That is one of the attractions. I could load up some milder stuff to use here close to the house and for my wife to putt around with.
    @Toonces @Shotgun @mmc45414 I guess the whole Competent Man thing is more about a mindset than a laundry list of skills. I like to DIY as much stuff as possible and learn new skills. I tend to learn things at the 80% level then move on to something else.
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 06-05-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List