Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying bulk shotshells with an eye towards eventually reloading them?

@willie My response to those Henry single shot shotguns was "Shut up and take my money!" but they are still thin on the ground a year and a half after they were announced. They are one of the few firearms I'm keen enough on to be willing to buy brand new instead of waiting for a used example to eventually turn up. I hope to get one in 20 gauge when they finally become widely available.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Cabela's has them in stock in some stores. I saw a 12 ga version last week in Waco.
    Last edited by willie; 05-27-2018 at 11:52 PM.

I hear what you're saying with respect the desire to learn the trade. In fact, I was just loading 9mm this evening, which is also a money-loser when you factor in my press and time. I like doing so, and enjoy loading ammo to my specifications, so I didn't mean to piss on the idea.

However, if you'd like to learn how to load ammo, a better route might be .45 ACP, .38/.357, or other calibers that are more worthwhile. Also, rifle rounds other than .223 are a great way to learn the skill. Alternately, load up some slugs or buckshot. Low volume shooters and a Lee Loader (not Lee Load-all) or Lyman 310 can't be beat for pure fun, if you have an old .30-30 or .44 Mag you'd like to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I hear what you're saying with respect the desire to learn the trade. In fact, I was just loading 9mm this evening, which is also a money-loser when you factor in my press and time. I like doing so, and enjoy loading ammo to my specifications, so I didn't mean to piss on the idea.

However, if you'd like to learn how to load ammo, a better route might be .45 ACP, .38/.357, or other calibers that are more worthwhile. Also, rifle rounds other than .223 are a great way to learn the skill. Alternately, load up some slugs or buckshot. Low volume shooters and a Lee Loader (not Lee Load-all) or Lyman 310 can't be beat for pure fun, if you have an old .30-30 or .44 Mag you'd like to shoot.
    I've been reloading metallic centerfire cartridges since 2001. I just haven't taken the plunge into shotshells.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've been reloading metallic centerfire cartridges since 2001. I just haven't taken the plunge into shotshells.
    As you know from your metallic reloading, one advantage is being able to make extra-mild loads for new shooters, small folks, or anyone who likes less recoil. Back-pasture clays don’t demand high performance, and mild loads can make that kind of shooting more fun for everybody.

Another advantage is if you like the less-common gauges. I’ve seen nice used 16-gauge guns sell for less than 12s or 20s, probably because the ammunition is so much more expensive and harder to find.

Site Supporter
    We aren't huge consumers of shotshells. Typically I've bought a couple hundred a year of whatever was cheap and discarded the hulls when we were done.

However, two things are working their way up my Competent Man Checklist:

1) Become a better wing shot and take advantage of the mourning doves, band tails and occasional grouse that frequent my property.

2) Buy a rudimentary shotshell reloading rig and learn how to use it.

So any advice on what brand of #6 and #7.5 shotshells to buy, with an eye towards retaining the hulls and someday learning to reload them?

Also, I know that reloading shotshells usually isn't economical unless you are a really high volume shooter, but instead of sitting on the couch and watching the Tee-Vee we tend to collect DIY skills and equipment around here. When I die, my daughter will either be standing in the house saying "how am I going to get rid of all this shit?" or "Wow! I'm glad Dad set me up with everything I need to survive this dystopian future!"
    Remington "Gun Club" shotshells are cheaper than Win AA and still have decent hulls for reloading. They are not AA/STS grade, but they are above the cheap stuff.

I would love to see the rest of the Competent Man checklist! Maybe another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    My friends who reload for shotgun typically go for Winchester AA or the equiv from other brands. However, I understand just about any can be reloaded as long as you're not too picky about cosmetics or getting multiple reloads out of a hull. Maybe learn the process on bulk pack hulls and switch to premium hulls once you've learned the process?
    When I was young and learning to reload, I loaded most any hull I could get my hands on. It can be done, and you will get really good at adjusting your press (MEC or bust!) for the different hulls. Get a Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook, they have recipes for many different hulls. If you come across a bunch of older hulls, get an older version of the book that has data for that hull. Stick to the book or go light. If you peruse the book enough, you will see that many hulls have fairly similar target load data. Things are different if you are looking to push 1-1/4 oz at 1500 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Reloading is a good skill to have. As others have said, it is not necessarily a money saver today, but that is not the OP’s primary goal. The ability to reload, at least to me, is a skill on the “Competant Man Checklist.”

To that purpose, shoot Winchester AA and learn to reload those. They crimp very well and can be reloaded many times before they start to crack and fail to hold a crimp. Buy a used Mec Progressive and get a reloading manual. I would discourage you from reloading a variety of shells. Different hulls produce different pressures and there are specific recipes for reloading different hulls. I got my Mec set up for AA target loads, which I also hunted with, decades ago. Finally, when you are satisfied with your reloading and get tired of it, those AA red hulls can be turned into Christmas lights. They look pretty cool strung around a patio or outside lounging area.
    My MEC 9000G progressive never gets adjusted for anything other than Win AA (Win AA = Glock 19). I haven't adjusted the crimp settings in years over many thousands of rounds. Remington STS will also produce acceptable results without adjustments. But my MEC 600 will get adjusted for any hull I want to reload, and the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook has data for most current hulls that are not cheap crap.

Yes. It isn't a money saver to grow our own vegetables either, but we place quite a bit of value upon knowing how to do it. It's funny. We don't identify as "preppers" but we wind up doing quite a bit of the same stuff as the prepper crowd, not out of fear of the 'pockylips, but because we value the skills and it's more fun, and more healthy than rotting our brains in front of the television.
    We're doing the gardening thing as well. One of my reasons is I want my girls (ages 6 & 8) to see what it takes to grow food. They've seen the shooting food thing and loved it. It's not about saving money.

I was kind of landing on the idea of AA hulls. It sounds like owning a hodge-podge of hulls can also result in needing to stock a hodge-podge of wads as well. I don't see a factory #6 load in a AA hull, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

I'm just redneck enough to decorate with shotgun shells too...
    Shot size, within reason, doesn't matter. A 7/8 or 1-1/8 oz charge bar isn't going to change enough between #9 and #6 shot to matter on a target load.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    As you know from your metallic reloading, one advantage is being able to make extra-mild loads for new shooters, small folks, or anyone who likes less recoil. Back-pasture clays don’t demand high performance, and mild loads can make that kind of shooting more fun for everybody.
    Back in the day when I was single and shooting a lot a Skeet, I was high gun in my po-dunk town local league shooting 7/8 oz in a 12 gauge (23.65 average for a 20 week league...don't laugh). If you can't break a Skeet bird with a 20, a 12 isn't much help. But the reduced recoil adds up when shooting 4-6 rounds twice a week.

my Competent Man Checklist:

1) Become a better wing shot and take advantage of the mourning doves, band tails and occasional grouse that frequent my property.

2) Buy a rudimentary shotshell reloading rig and learn how to use it.
    Lester, a Competent Man Checklist would be a good separate thread.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Another vote for Winchester AA. If I remember, AA has an 8 point crimp that is neater.

It's been a long time since I reloaded any shotgun shells. I have a Lee Load All and it has been good enough for me. To reload, you will want to pick one load and stick to it. Wads come in a bunch of different sizes according to specific loads.

Gee, I guess most of this has been mentioned, but:
    As mentioned, the Gun Club shells are recipe interchangeable with the STS, but they will not stand up to as many cycles. But if you buy cheap and want the potential, they are my go2.
    As mentioned, troll for a used Mec 600, people either upgrade or go back to factory.
    As mentioned, oddball combinations are available, we load 3/4oz #9 for skeet in both 12 and 20, this help a bit with cost savings also. You can also fit as much as 1-1/2oz in a regular hull, just by swapping wads, replicating the recoil of buck loads with small shot for practice on steel. Also for cheater shells, I loaded some with #6 to reach out there. Go look at the Claybuster wads, white is 1-1/8oz, silver is 7/8oz, pink is 1oz, hot pink is 3/4oz, red is 1-1/2oz. I have always been tempted to load some 1-1/2oz #9, just to be silly

I am also in favor of a Competent Man Checklist:
    You should be able to back up a trailer, and tie a neck tie...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You should be able to back up a trailer,...
    Yikes. I'm out. Wait a minute. . . . . I can back up a trailer, just not straight.

User Tag List