Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revolvers?

Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revolvers?

Just curious how popular the 32 S&W long is for revolver target shooters. Thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootingisfun View Post
    Just curious how popular the 32 S&W long is for revolver target shooters. Thanks
    I don't know any serious revolver target shooters and I am the only regular 32SWL shooter in my circle of friends (postwar K32 and early 1900s S&W 32swl Hand Ejector).

I would say it's pretty uncommon these days outside of collectors.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Back when I was involved in UIT shooting, .32 S&W Long was popular in the Centerfire discipline but was used in autoloaders like the Walther GSP. I still have the custom grips for my S&W M14 that I used.

FWIW, the GSP was declared an "assault weapon" by the state of California because the magazine was located in front of the trigger guard.

.32 S&W Long has a cult following much like the .41 Mag fans. If you wander over to the S&W forums and the Cast Boolits forums you'll see quite a few folks bragging on their .32's.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    .32 S&W Long has a cult following much like the .41 Mag fans. If you wander over to the S&W forums and the Cast Boolits forums you'll see quite a few folks bragging on their .32's.
    Yup, but I never see any of those guys at the range. The only time I've seen someone shooting 32SWL who wasn't shooting one of my guns was a guy shooting a target pistol such as those described by revchuck.
    Chris

Site Supporter
    I shoot it some because it's so much cheaper than .32 H&R mag. My .32 is a J-frame so it's not much of a target gun. If I we're going to start reloading again, I would load .32.

I did see one other guy at the range with a .32 a few of weeks ago. He just bought it and said it is not a gun he is going to shoot much.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I shoot it some because it's so much cheaper than .32 H&R mag. My .32 is a J-frame so it's not much of a target gun. If I we're going to start reloading again, I would load .32.
    I haven't purchased 32swl in years (cast and reload for it) and have never purchased 32H&RMag, but I'm surprised the mag is more expensive. Last time I noticed the price, 32SWL was pushing nearly $50/box.

It's an easy cartridge to load and very economical in terms of powder and lead. Brass is kind of expensive, but it lasts a good long time.

Chris

Site Supporter
    In revolvers the .32 S&W L has been dead for "eons" as a target round. It and its big brothers make a nifty plinking and small game round in Ruger Single Six and similar size revolvers. The handloader especially can enjoy them. There is an excellent specimen advertised in another section on our forum.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I haven't purchased 32swl in years (cast and reload for it) and have never purchased 32H&RMag, but I'm surprised the mag is more expensive. Last time I noticed the price, 32SWL was pushing nearly $50/box.
    The last box of 50 round of 32SWL that I bought was maybe $15. It cost more than 9mm, but it's not crazy expensive. .32HR is roughly twice that price, I think. It's been a while since I've purchased any of it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Just to add my voice to the chorus, it's popular in bullseye out of wadcutter only semi-autos that mirror the manual of arms of the shooter's 22LR pistol, either as a drop in conversion, or a duplicate in the larger caliber (a buddy of mine has a ruger mkii in 32SWL that I covet). As near as I can tell, target shooting with revolvers is dead. If I'm wrong, I'm all ears though.

User Tag List