Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is 32 S&W long still popular as a target round for revolvers?

For those that dont mind projects, Ive been keeping an eye out for an affordable 22 K frame Smith barrel and cylinder that could be rebored to 32 and set up in a (so far) fairly affordable model 15 or 14.

I also see parts (barrels and cylinders) for J frames in 32, a 38 spl gun could be converted once the basic parts were in hand. I dont know what the market is on the 32 cal J frame guns.

The old 32 hand ejector Smiths sometimes dont bid up very high on GB.

Quote Originally Posted by RichY View Post

It's too bad no one makes a 32 SWL wadcutter going fast enough to penetrate at least 12-14"! That would be a terrific load for older/handicapped shooters. I'd like to see such a load in 32 H&R Magnum too! It's a shame Underwood doesn't make some standard pressure sharp shouldered all copper full wadcutter loads for 32 SWL, 32 H&R Magnum, and 38 Special!
    I'm running around this week picking up ammo for the .327 FM SP-101 that I'm picking up in several days, and surprisingly I'm finding there's some choice on local shelves. This thread ties in though to the next part of that equation, the plinking and range part, and while I'm seeing some 32 SWL (as well as 32 H&R and .327) at the local Sportsmans Warehouse as well as at two small LGS, I'm already thinking about reloading. What jumped right out at me is that Missouri Bullets sells .32 DEWC which in theory should be easy to push at velocities beyond what a HBWC would safely take. Could load them slow in SWL cases, or a little faster in 32 H&R cases depending on the intended use.

This is more of a fun diversion and probably won't change my carry habits either in town or in the woods anytime soon. I'm intrigued though by a revolver that can chamber any of five different rounds, ranging from slow .32 plinking loads with little recoil all the way up to 100 gr .327 American Eagle at about 1400 fps out of a three-inch barrel, 115 gr Gold Dots, even a 130 gr hardcast load from Buffalo Bore. This little revolver could, in a pinch, do a lot of different things.

I have a couple of the hotter loads already and will grab some .32 SWL before range day early next week.
    Last edited by Salamander; 05-29-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Are the double ended wadcutters sharp shouldered?

I am completely in agreement with you on a revolver for multiple roles without having to go to the weight/recoiled/wear of the 357 or heavier loads. In this neck of the woods there isn’t really anything I need a 45 Colt or 44 magnum load for, even though they are two on my favorite cartridges. The 32’s just seem fun, yet properly loaded, very versatile for field use. The lighter weight would make them appealing formy wife.

As of now I use a 9mm for all my field use, and truthfully, I think it gives me everything I THOUGHT I was getting from the 357 loads decades ago, without the wear and tear on both the shooter and the host piece.

I'm just looking at photos so far, here are links for coated http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...0&secondary=20 and uncoated http://missouribullet.com/details.ph...5&secondary=20

Initially I'll just be punching paper with them. Need to order dies first and things are busy right now so it may be a while.

As for 9mm... yeah, right now when I head for the backcountry I just replace the Gold Dots with a mag of Underwood xtreme penetrator. Or pack a four inch K-frame .357. Not planning on changing that just yet.
    Last edited by Salamander; 05-29-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Not sharp shouldered. Too bad. Sharp shouldered would have made for a neat little revolver.

I only have 9's these days. Sold off our CS-1's, the last 357's we had, well over a decade ago. Sometimes we regret selling off the 3" model, but then we pick up one somewhere and realize we did the right thing back then. Hiking long distances over rugged terrain really makes me appreciate polymer pistols!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I shot an IDPA match with a 3" Model 30-1 a few years ago. The gun rocked. The 98 grain RNL's had enough oomph to knock down the few poppers, much to the surprise of everyone on my squad. The biggest problem I had was the HKS speedloaders wouldn't drop one round, thus creating reloading issues.

I used a 4" 30-1 to convince an elderly lady to continue with a citizens' firearms class. It was the only gun that she could and would shoot. She had to thumb cock the hammer each time but she got the job done.
    I shoot IDPA once in awhile with an SW 632 with a 3 inch comp'ed barrel and a fiber optic front sight. I've shot Fiocchi 32 Long 97 gr FMJ (which will take down poppers), Federal 85 gr 32 HR Mag and Federal 327 (it has a kick). I love the gun. If I had to belt CCW a revolver, this would be my choice as it fits my little hands better than my SW 19 and more concealable and comfortable. I can shoot the 19 just fine but not a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I shoot IDPA once in awhile with an SW 632 with a 3 inch comp'ed barrel and a fiber optic front sight. I've shot Fiocchi 32 Long 97 gr FMJ (which will take down poppers), Federal 85 gr 32 HR Mag and Federal 327 (it has a kick). I love the gun. If I had to belt CCW a revolver, this would be my choice as it fits my little hands better than my SW 19 and more concealable and comfortable. I can shoot the 19 just fine but not a preference.
    I’d like to get my grubby mitts on a 632 and/or 432. There’s a NIB 332 up for sale locally for nine bills, which is more than I care to pay for a pocket rocket.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I got a 432 for $335 when SW discontinued them. The local gun show had lots of them for that price. Should have bought two. Sigh!

I shouldn’t complain too much. I got my 16-4 for $225 and they tossed in the partial box of 44 rounds they previous owner didn’t shoot.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I shouldn’t complain too much. I got my 16-4 for $225 and they tossed in the partial box of 44 rounds they previous owner didn’t shoot.
    I will triple your money!

User Tag List