Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on CZ 75 series compacts.

Question on CZ 75 series compacts.

Got the chance to run some rounds through a friends 75 Compact yesterday, as well as a full size 75 Omega. Really liked both pistols, but noticed a couple of things about the Compact that bothered me.

First was the beaver tail. On the full size, it curves up, and is much more comfortable than the down turned one on the Compact. I found the latter uncomfortable after several mags, uncomfortable enough to start having a negative impact on my shooting it. From pictures, it looks like the 75D PCR and the PO-1 are both shaped more like the full size, can someone verify this for me? I'm leaning towards the PCR anyway, although I like the heft of the all steel Compact.

Second was the thin metal baseplate on the magazine of the Compact, but I've already found the solution to that issue, PO-1 baseplates and/or Mec-Gar mags, so no biggie.

Third and final thing is just an observation. Shooting the Compact and the Omega side by side, I could feel a difference in the two triggers, but I'll be damned if I could say just what it was. I do know I liked the non-Omega trigger better, and since I have no need for a rail, that rules out both the PO-1 and the Convertable. Don't you just love it when decisions are this easy ? Later.

Dave

The beavertails on the PCR and the P-01 are closer to the Compact than the fullsize, but they've been relieved a bit.

The two guns you were shooting are only a couple ounces different in weight. Going to an alloy frame will drop another four ounces. I assume you'll have less muzzle rise with more familiarity with the gun, but if not, the drop in weight is not going to do you any favors in that department.

Depending on your intended use, there is one other difference you should keep in mind. Generally, the Compact will have a manual safety, while the PCR will have a decocker, only. You can carry the Compact "cocked and locked" but not the PCR. I hesitate to make a blanket statement about any given CZ you might have shot, or might come across in a shop, because there are some variations out in the wild, but this holds true, generally speaking.

PCRs do not grow on trees, so if you see one at a good price, buy it. If you don't like it, you'll have little trouble moving it.

CZ within the last couple of years did make what is commonly known as "SP-01 Compacts" these were steel framed compacts that had the same upswept beavertail as the fullsized SP-01.. My understanding is, that these were either contract overruns, or that they were made for a contract which the buyer backed out of. Anyway, there were roughly about 15-1600 of these things imported, there were also a much,much smaller amount of these made with different slide markings supposedly around 50 or so, these are harder to find.I do have one of the SP01 Compacts, and it's a great shooter, one can get a much, much better grip on it than you can with a PCR,for example (I had one of those and foolishly sold it) if weight is'nt a concern, you might want to look around for one of these..

Site Supporter
    I shoot CZ's. PCR's and P-01 pistols are decockers. The PCR is slightly thinner than the P-01. The P-01 is heavier on the front end and has less muzzle rise. Supposedly all P-01 pistols have interchangeable drop in parts. I don't believe it despite that being advertised. P-01's have NATO numbers stamped on them that imply information about their manufacture. If you object to tool marks and parts made by worn machinery, buy another brand. Both my PCR and P-01 bought new came with defective trigger return springs which broke soon after purchase. The PCR has a nifty loaded chamber indicator. Surprisingly, I like it. I thought that I would not. If I were going to parachute into parts unknown, I'd carry two Glocks. As it is, I seldom walk farther than 200 yards from my truck. The CZ's satisfy my requirements. If I were a cop, I'd carry something else. Why? I remember the several that I bought years ago that failed right out of the box. Today, they have a better record.

If you buy either, you will see that these guns smooth up with use. Buy snap caps and avoid trouble. Resist temptation to detail strip CZ decockers unless you have a three hands, patience, and an extremely high mechanical aptitude. Everybody says that CZ's are over sprung. Maybe so. Maybe there's a reason. Leave the springs alone except the trigger return spring which will break anyway.

MecGar mags are better than CZ factory mags.

or, just buy a P07, says someone with multiple compact steel and polymer CZ pistols.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    or, just buy a P07, says someone with multiple compact steel and polymer CZ pistols.
    This might just be the answer. I realized today, when I picked up the Compact again, that that beaver tail actually raised a blister, and that was from maybe 100 rounds. That's a deal breaker, because when I shoot, I tend to shoot a lot. I already have a gun that beats me up when I shoot it, last thing I need to do is replace it with one that's even worse . Guess the decision isn't that easy after all. Later.

Dave

The 75 pistols can be sharp in the beavertail area, same with the Shadow 1, the Shadow 2 less so but still does, and the P07/09 not at all. The P07/09 pistols have been reliable in function, and they seem to require a lot less PM than steel 75 pistols, which appeals to my dislike for cleaning guns.

The 75 pistols can be sharp in the beavertail area, same with the Shadow 1, the Shadow 2 less so but still does, and the P07/09 not at all. The P07/09 pistols have been reliable in function, and they seem to require a lot less PM than steel 75 pistols, which appeals to my dislike for cleaning guns.
    I’d say the Shadow 2 is more so. I got blisters the first few times I shot my Shadow 2.

The P07/09 pistols have been reliable in function, and they seem to require a lot less PM than steel 75 pistols, which appeals to my dislike for cleaning guns.
    Pretty true, but would recommend still replacing the stock trigger return spring for the cajun gun works spring. My 1st stock spring broke while removing when swapping them out - at about ~3k rounds fired and a good PF amount of dry fire. All have been promptly replaced since.

Getting to about 6k through my P-09/07 pistols since Nov. Really loving these handguns. I have cleaned my main P-09 twice with 4495 rounds through it so far. Only malfunction I recall is a tullammo round that failed to fire on first strike, failed on second as well. I am doing a 2k round challenge with this chopped P-09, have 380 trouble free so far.

Just gonna leave some more p-07/09 love right here.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

What sights you running, what grip treatment and tell more about the chop.

User Tag List