Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navy Seal who shot Bin Laden Thoughts on Memorial Day

On the one hand, I was telling people this before The Long War began.

On the other hand, and I forget where I saw it, just the other day I saw a mini-rant by a recent combat veteran who aid he was going to enjoy the day by grilling steaks and having a few brews, because that's what his dead comrades would want. And he has a point.

I'm kind of tending to establish a corollary to Royko's Postulate (which is, as all True Americans know, that Only Veterans Should Be Allowed To Celebrate Veteran's Day) to the effect that Memorial Day should be a religious holiday -- someone somewhere used the phrase "High Holy Day of Obligation" to me -- observed by all, but only those who can name one or more friends or relatives who were KIA or DOW get any "benefits".

Gripping Hand: I worked all night, and maybe had one too many drinks while composing my Memorial Day blogpost. (And I think the story Frankie Lane opened his little performance with was BS, but I like his rendition of "My Buddy".)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter

I reflect often on the sacrifices our military makes for us, not just reserved for Memorial day, and am a huge supporter of .mil and families having been a military brat.

Having said that, I was not in the military but have been putting on a uniform for nearly 30 years. This is just my thoughts, but if I die OTJ, give me a moment of silence if it suits you and then have a great time. It would be what I wanted and paid the price for. I guess the don't mourn my death, but celebrate my life idea.
    Last edited by Surf; 05-29-2018 at 05:05 AM.

I think it’s a great article. Memorial Day has turned into a consumer holiday, which is infuriating to a degree. However, I think you can do both. Remember lost friends & family and enjoy some of those freedoms our friends and loved ones sacrificed for.

User Tag List