Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Seal who shot Bin Laden Thoughts on Memorial Day

Navy Seal who shot Bin Laden Thoughts on Memorial Day

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Amen. It is Memorial Day, not “summer day,” or good-deal-on-appliances/electronics day.

Site Supporter
    This has bugged me for years. I remember a few years back in a Friday afternoon meeting some manager told everyone to have a good long weekend and wished "Happy Memorial Day" to everyone especially our veterans. .......... I wanted to go off on the person but then I was just sad. People are clueless. But then I'm the guy who tells people to get off their asses and stand up as the colors go by during the parade.

I don't have a problem wishing veterans Happy Veterans' Day because I genuinely mean it. But Memorial Day is different. It is not a celebration, but a day of reverence, appreciation, and reflection.

Site Supporter
    We fight wars now that do not impact our domestic life. Not like WW2 - no shortages of products, collecting metal for war use, etc. How many average Americans know of someone or had a family member killed in action?

That's how this organization was founded.

http://www.carrytheload.org/site/Pag...pagename=about

Site Supporter
    I know for most Americans it’s the start of summer and I enjoyed a picnic with my family but I couldn’t help thinking of friends I lost. I think of them often. I need come up with a way to honor their memory better

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I know for most Americans it’s the start of summer and I enjoyed a picnic with my family but I couldn’t help thinking of friends I lost. I think of them often. I need come up with a way to honor their memory better
    I am absolutely not making light of your thoughts, as I have frequently pondered the same thing.

As in many challenges, the answer is simple while the implementation is difficult: Be the example worthy of their sacrifice.

And may your friends' memories live forever in all our hearts.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 05-27-2018 at 11:08 AM.

I struggled with the same issue for a few years. I have finally settled on something that works for me. While we do the family cookouts, watch races and baseball games, and shoot, we also discuss American history, with an eye towards why the Constitution was written as it was, the idea of citizen-soldiers, why voting is not optional, and those individuals we know who were lost in the service of our country. We try to balance the somber reason for the day with the reality of modern life.

My daughter has been with us when we decorated the graves of those who have fallen, and now that she is an adult who travels abroad, she sees things differently than her peers. She just returned from Seoul and remarked that more than once she was thanked by South Koreans for being an American -- thanked for being free. As someone who never doubted that she was secure and free, the South Korean people made an impression. I know how she felt as I once spent Independence Day in Berlin with people who survived due to the Berlin Airlift.
    Last edited by farscott; 05-27-2018 at 12:44 PM.

You do that every day by living in the best way you can and being a good American as SeriousStudent stated. The fact that you are serving under a blue banner says a lot already.
    Last edited by Mike C; 05-27-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Good article.

I never served, but I appreciate all those who sacrificed, in some cases, everything. "Freedom don't come free", as they say.

I've always used this 'holiday' to take a moment and reflect how lucky I am to be an American. Saying 'Happy Memorial Day' has never sat with me very well. Trivializing it with "sales events" etc. seems in poor form.

User Tag List