Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Cooking Pots and Pans

What type of cooking surface? Gas, electric coil, glass top electric, other?

My non-enamel coated cast iron skillets have warped just enough that they won't sit flat on my glass top cook surface. It's a major downside of glasstop, that's not an issue for gas. For some reason my enamel coated dutch ovens from Lodge and Le Creuset have held up fine, though the Lodge's enamel coating didn't. Make sure you wait for Le Creuset sales at their outlets, if you go that direction.

We also have been happy with the Emeril 12 pc set.

I'm strongly considering The Ringer for easier cast iron cleanup.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-27-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    David S.

If you're learning how to cook, I've got a few recommendations:

1.) Get a subscription to Good Eats on iTunes and follow Alton Brown. https://itunes.apple.com/US/tv-show/id393575141 Chances are, if you're here, you're a gun weirdo, man-food enthusiast, etc. You'll probably dig his recipes and style. Oh, and AB is a gun guy...

2.) Consider reading "4-Hour Chef", by Tim Ferriss. https://www.amazon.com/4-Hour-Chef-C...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
    Ferris is a jiujitsu guy, business man, etc. Pretty interesting dude. He's got a unique take on cooking. Some of the easiest dishes are the tastiest: pot roast, osso bucco, etc. The book is also a primer on adult learning processes - something I am VERY into.

3.) Consider taking a cooking class - great way to meat women, err, meet women. If you're married, great way to get out and meet other people, etc.

Gas. We have a Blue Star range with a gas convection oven. You do need to make sure that your gas range has a good low simmer setting.

My experience is the same as yours about the Le Creuset enamel. It holds up really well--as long as you don't use metal implements on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What type of cooking surface? Gas, electric coil, glass top electric, other?

My non-enamel coated cast iron skillets have warped just enough that they won't sit flat on my glass top cook surface. It's a major downside of glasstop, that's not an issue for gas. For some reason my enamel coated dutch ovens from Lodge and Le Creuset have held up fine, though the Lodge's enamel coating didn't. Make sure you wait for Le Creuset sales at their outlets, if you go that direction.

We also have been happy with the Emeril 12 pc set.

I'm strongly considering The Ringer for easier cast iron cleanup.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Agree on Alton Brown and 4 hr Chef.

A sous vide has also done wonders for my cooking.
    David S.

Banned
    http://<a href="https://m.youtube.co...8T3fujmBNA</a>

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    First let me say I’m no chef. I do occasionally prepare food provided the recipe isn’t too complicated. That said, I know squat about pots and pans. Specifically what makes them gimmicky and what makes them quality. I see the infomercials for those crazy copper stuff that is no-stick and all that. But I’m naturally skeptical so I doubt I’ll ever trust a “But wait! There’s more!” commercial.

The stuff I have is old - like 20+ years, has spots where the cooking finish is damaged, the outer finish turns grey after it dries, and it’s time to get something new. I’m not looking to spend a ton of money but am willing to pay for quality.

Thanks!

You're going to spend some money on these but my wife bought a set of Salad Master waterless cookware 20 years ago. They still look brand new and perform exactly as advertised.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-27-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Disclaimer: I work in product development at a large company which owns one of the major consumer cookware brands. I don' work in the cookware group, but Ive been involved in tech reviews, lifecycle testing, and mktg claims testing.

My wife and I cook a lot. It's our thing that we do rather than eating out, going to bars, going to movies, etc. We have A LOT of cookware that I've gotten for free or heavily discounted over the years.

Don't get a set. Sets make for good wedding gifts but you're better off picking what you need and use IMO. Here is what we use regularly:
    -Small non-stick omlette pan. Get one rated for metal utensils, BUT NEVER USE METAL! Metal rated typically has a thicker and more durable non stick coating, but you can still scratch it. Don't put it in the dishwasher either.
    -Get a large saucepan with a lid. We actually use both a stainless one and a non-stick one interchangeabley. Depends on the dish.
    -Iron skillet. Best way to sear meat, cook sausage, etc.
    -Maybe 2 pots of different sizes depending on how large of a meal you might make.

Invest in good utensils. Get some silicone coated tongs, a good spatula, etc in addition to your steel utensils. Silicone for non-stick, steel for everything else.

To keep your non-stick in good condition:
    -Use silicone utensils. Even hard plastic can damage the coating over time. Even if it says "steel safe", it isn't. Ever.
    -Always hand wash. Don't use an abrasive brush, go easy on the scrubbing
    - Don't use cooking sprays. The propellant in those sprays can degrade the coating over time.
    Last edited by littlejerry; 05-27-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Caphalon works well and is very easy to clean up. Nothing beats cast iron for browning though.

I really like the 12" Finex cast iron skillet. It's the most used pan in our house.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Agree on Alton Brown and 4 hr Chef.

A sous vide has also done wonders for my cooking.
    Me too.

pat

I’m not a cookware snob. I’ve had exceptional luck with Anolon nonstick stuff, but I always handle it first - some items from all of the various consumer brands are better than others.

User Tag List