Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here (Not Police) carry handcuff keys?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I can justify having it. I'm a security guard and my license says I'm handcuff certified. I haven't been detained or arrested in 28 years so that's really not a concern.
    If you, or your co workers carry cuffs, then I would carry a key. Are you talking about carrying one in your key ring or carrying one hidden?

Site Supporter
    Interesting question. Due to things I used to do professionally, I used to carry cuffs, and got into the habit of always having a cuff key or two around. There’s one on my keys, but I don’t carry cuffs anymore.
    Last edited by Duelist; 05-26-2018 at 08:16 PM.

If you are in an environment where kidnapping is higher risk, or you work a profession where abduction for related reasons is non-zeroish, I'd definitely have one or two.

Otherwise, unless you carry cuffs on you, it seems pretty low on the list of things to be concerned over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    If you are in an environment where kidnapping is higher risk, or you work a profession where abduction for related reasons is non-zeroish, I'd definitely have one or two.
    I have some of those keys scattered about, and I’m no LEO. As to justifying having them to actual LEOs, I’m pretty sure I could state my case. Besides, several of those keys were given to me by a local LEO after a refresher course on escaping restraints, and my habit of keeping lengths of kevlar thread tucked around came from training under a couple of guys who both have LE backgrounds prior to going contract. I put keys/shims/thread/laces into the same category as grappling and shooting proficiency that probably exceeds the *average* LEO: no legit LEO will ever have to worry about any of it.

Plus, I havn’t been detained or questioned by a LEO in my adult lifetime, and I’m starting to creep up there in age.

I agree that restraint escape is pretty low on the list of life stuff to worry about, but the raw materials are negligible-level cheap.

JMO.

Site Supporter
    Since handcuffs are being discussed, does anyone have a reliable source for keys to open older handcuffs? I don't know how old they are, but the relative I inherited them from got them used and carried them (sheriff's deputy) in the '50s.
    When the relative passed the keys could not be found.

Anyway, I figured that if there were cuffs in the house then we probably needed to have keys as well so I grabbed a couple while at GT Distributors. Got home and they didn't work. Threw the handcuffs in the back of the safe, meaning to research the issue and promptly forgot about it.
    Last edited by Crashpad; 05-26-2018 at 09:22 PM.

Seems really unlikely but it's not like a cuff key is expensive or cumbersome. I don't see much reason not to.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Banned
    Thanks everyone for your responses

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you, or your co workers carry cuffs, then I would carry a key. Are you talking about carrying one in your key ring or carrying one hidden?
    I hadn't decided if I was going to carry the key hidden on not. I don't have coworkers per se. My post is a Freight Warehouse and I'm alone on my shift.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post

Otherwise, unless you carry cuffs on you, it seems pretty low on the list of things to be concerned over.

I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to my "EDC". Every so often I go through it and try to weed out stuff I really don't need.

Similarly, I don't want to add even a key if I don't really need it. So, if I ask you guys and 9 out of 10 of you are telling me it's probably not necessary. Then I see no reason to carry it outside of work (where it's required).

Final thought, if it's legal for me to own a hand cuff key (I can walk in to my local Gall's and buy one) I shouldn't have to justify having it to anyone.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-26-2018 at 09:47 PM.

At one point I worked security. We had a problem house that while it wasn't allowed by the security company, the local LEO's said I would have restraints if I were you. After leaving there, several LEO friends, some of which were working as bicycle cops, told me they use handcuffs to lock up the bikes. Since I had a pair, I used them frequently for that. No one messed with the bike.

On the other hand, there are lots of video's, that teach it is easy to get out of cuffs, with a paper clip. Some day when my magician friend comes around, I need to ask him about that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    At one point I worked security. We had a problem house that while it wasn't allowed by the security company, the local LEO's said I would have restraints if I were you. After leaving there, several LEO friends, some of which were working as bicycle cops, told me they use handcuffs to lock up the bikes. Since I had a pair, I used them frequently for that. No one messed with the bike.

On the other hand, there are lots of video's, that teach it is easy to get out of cuffs, with a paper clip. Some day when my magician friend comes around, I need to ask him about that.
    It’s no mystery. Handcuffs are temporary restraints. Small shims work better than paper clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I have some of those keys scattered about, and I’m no LEO. As to justifying having them to actual LEOs, I’m pretty sure I could state my case. Besides, several of those keys were given to me by a local LEO after a refresher course on escaping restraints, and my habit of keeping lengths of kevlar thread tucked around came from training under a couple of guys who both have LE backgrounds prior to going contract. I put keys/shims/thread/laces into the same category as grappling and shooting proficiency that probably exceeds the *average* LEO: no legit LEO will ever have to worry about any of it.

Plus, I havn’t been detained or questioned by a LEO in my adult lifetime, and I’m starting to creep up there in age.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Final thought, if it's legal for me to own a hand cuff key (I can walk in to my local Gall's and buy one) I shouldn't have to justify having it to anyone.
    I’m not saying you should have to justify having one. And the LEO’s on this forum or who train in MMA or other combatives will certainly understand. But the average LEO may find it suspicious. I’ve encountered LEO’s in my career at all levels (fed, state, local) who don’t believe non-LE should carry guns. And I’m not talking about places like NYC, Chicago, etc. My point was for anyone who carries one to be prepared for the conversation.

And I don’t know anyone who plans or expects to be detained by LE. Sometimes it happpens to even honest people. If there’s a BOLO for a bad guy who happens to be in a car like yours it could lead to you getting detained until they sort it out. After a LEO was shot and killed several years ago we stopped EVERY silver or grey Chrysler 300 we saw because that’s what the shooter was supposedly driving.

User Tag List