Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does anyone here (Not Police) carry handcuff keys?

Pondering which is less likely... Having a use for the handcuff key, or having an interaction with LE that would result in scrutiny thereof. Both, so remote that it's virtually unmentionable.

I have detail stripped Glocks on the line with the nub of a handcuff key, so there's that I guess.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

^^^That’s a great bottom line.

Kevlar thread, on the other hand, is great for sawing the zipties off your checked baggage so you can access the real cutting tools packed inside. JMO.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have coworkers that carry handcuffs everywhere they go "in case they need to make a citizen's arrest." IMHO that's just begging for trouble and is not something I would ever do without literal Devine intervention
    I'm an LEO and I carry cuffs off duty while in my own state primarily for one reason. Questions in a deposition. I want to be able to truthfully say I had other options, other than deadly force, should it come to that. I've used them exactly once, when I interrupted what I believe a robbery that was yet to be announced. The very short version is I saw a male put on a mask and go around the corner. I wasn't sure what business he went in to. I checked the first one and the clerk said he was inside. He then came down a lane with a blanket over his hand, hiding his hand. I confronted him at gunpoint, he surrendered, and I cuffed him until on duty officers arrived. I believe he was going to use the blanket to imply he had a weapon under it, but I stopped him before he got back to the register. If I'd had to shoot him, I want the fact I had cuffs and was prepared to "take him alive" be readily apparent to a grand jury and a civil jury.

Out of my state where I have no jurisdiction, I wouldn't even consider carrying handcuffs.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ^^^That’s a great bottom line.

Kevlar thread, on the other hand, is great for sawing the zipties off your checked baggage so you can access the real cutting tools packed inside. JMO.
    Spyderco in outside checked bag pocket...so you can reach the shooting tools packed inside.

Sorry for starting and continuing the thread drift.

For the OP, if I worked around or carried handcuffs, I’d have a hidden key. One of the great things about the Ken Null ankle holders is the handcuff key pocket.
    Last edited by LSP552; 05-27-2018 at 02:51 PM.

For those that carry a handcuff key for fear of being restrained by them. You might want to spend some time practicing getting to that key and using it to unhandcuff yourself.

Site Supporter
    I carried one for years but only because it was left over a corrections job. Keeping the key on my key ring prevented its loss. These keys are a dime a dozen and serve no purpose for a non l.o. guy. Eventually I gave away the cuffs to a career cop along with my old school blackjacks which for me were collector stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    People have suggested to me that I should always have a handcuff key on my person in case I get handcuffed by a criminal. Given I've been in handcuffs exactly once in 52 years, it kind of seems like a waste of time to me. What does The Collective think?
    I do, but only because I build emergency vehicles for a living. I have that and a fleet key together. The fleet key to open the rear doors of the PIU's, and the cuff key for testing the lock on the weapons locks.
    Both stay at the job, no need to carry it with my keys. Hell, I don't even have a house key.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

When I was a CO, I taught myself to pick cuffs, and even got good enough to do it while handcufffed behind my back. This was using a paperclip. It only took me a couple of weeks of dabbling to get it. I used to carry one on my boot laces on duty. Those pesky riots can happen anytime.

Site Supporter
    Those of you that wish to carry, such things, knock yourselves out. I like this kit

https://store.itstactical.com/its-urban-kit.html with a couple of SEREPICK bogota rakes.

Also, for those of you that like me where lock pick sets are a grey area (yes, we have a burglary tools statute, but in this state to get it to have any traction you need an actual burglary.) You will likely get arrested, but the charges are hard to prove. I had a couple of rookies on shift who arrested two guys for wearing socks on their hands, while carrying a bag of wrenches and screwdrivers, at 0200, looking into cars. Yes we all knew what they were doing, but the arrest was a huge waste of time because without a burglary to connect the tools to, and the DA's office wouldn't touch it. Anyway, if you like lock picks, like I do, and you tend to have a couple on you all the time, like I do, and several sets in the car, gym bag, duty gear, and EDC, like I do, consider membership in this group:

https://toool.us/

I haven't joined yet because my closest chapter in in PHX, but if they have a meeting one of the weeks I am visiting my inlaws....Considering the cost of pick sets, a TOOOL membership is very little in the overall scheme of things. It is not a get out of jail free card, but in the absence of an actual burglary if you get into a jam for carrying picks/keys, this is something that can be used to shoot all kinds of holes in the whole intent issue. If you are picking your way into places that you don't have rights to be in (One of the rules of ethical lock picking are that you only pick those locks that you own, and if you don't own them you have permission from the owner directly and specifically to pick them) and get caught, then you deserve to go to prison as a burglar. I love catching burglars. 99 percent of the locks I have picked in the last few years I have had keys for, and those that I didn't have keys for I had permission. Like getting a family member into their home or car when they were locked out.

Sorry for the thread drift. I despise the standard issue hand cuff key, and haven't carried one in years. I have two long shaft knurled hand cuff keys with pen clips on my person as I type this, and I have two shims on my person as we speak. Shims are much lower profile, easier to carry/hide, a little more expensive, look less like what they are than handcuff keys, and will only work on single locked cuffs. You can use them to open double locked cuffs with a technique to defeat the double lock, but this is an open forum...

I am happy with my choices.

pat

The only time I have carried a handcuff key stashed on my person was back in the early '90's when my brother and I would spend time camping in backcountry Mexico.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List