Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here (Not Police) carry handcuff keys?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’m not saying you should have to justify having one. And the LEO’s on this forum or who train in MMA or other combatives will certainly understand. But the average LEO may find it suspicious. I’ve encountered LEO’s in my career at all levels (fed, state, local) who don’t believe non-LE should carry guns. And I’m not talking about places like NYC, Chicago, etc. My point was for anyone who carries one to be prepared for the conversation.

And I don’t know anyone who plans or expects to be detained by LE. Sometimes it happpens to even honest people. If there’s a BOLO for a bad guy who happens to be in a car like yours it could lead to you getting detained until they sort it out. After a LEO was shot and killed several years ago we stopped EVERY silver or grey Chrysler 300 we saw because that’s what the shooter was supposedly driving.
    Fair enough.

If you like handcuffs and sex, you should have a cuff key. You should also use quality handcuffs or the officer will tell you that his key doesn't work, and now the FD is on the way to set you free. It was amusing for us, but embarrassing for those who were cuffed.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I dont carry a cuff key- if the cops handcuffed me- my problems would most likely be compounded if I pulled a Houdini. If a random criminal handcuffs me- I’ve probably done screwed up pretty bad.

However- if you want one- carry one!
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    My last key got taken when I reported for jury duty and went through security there. They asked if I was LE and when I said lol they made me hand it over.

Thanks for eminding me, I need to replace it.
    Rob,

Not that I think this is going to happen but should you be detained by any form of LE and placed into restraints, please inform the officer/deputy that you have the key on your person. Otherwise, if the key is found via a search, plain view, whatever, its a third degree felony.

Just a quick heads up.

This happened when I was living in Flagstaff.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/7042-res...john-b-jamison

I believe the deputy that was left handcuffed to a smallish pine tree was seen by some guy driving by the area, I dont recall details, but think he had to cut the tree down to get him free and vacate the area, all the while hoping the guy didnt come back. I was spending a lot of time camping and roaming the backwoods, it occured to me that roaming the woods wasnt neccesarily vaccine against running into psychos. It wasnt long after this that I bought my first AR, and some time later saw a cuff key for sale in a local gun shop. Its been on my key ring since. I cant tell if its had any negative effect, so just leave it there.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Rob,

Not that I think this is going to happen but should you be detained by any form of LE and placed into restraints, please inform the officer/deputy that you have the key on your person. Otherwise, if the key is found via a search, plain view, whatever, its a third degree felony.

Just a quick heads up.
    I’m sure that is true in your state but state laws vary.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’m sure that is true in your state but state laws vary.
    That post was directed to Rob. We live in Florida.

Banned
    just so everyone is on the same page, given that not a single person has agreed that it's a good idea I have decided I don't need to carry a handcuff key.

I do not carry handcuffs at work unless the contract specifies it and even then I can't conceive of circumstances where I'd actually put them on someone. I have coworkers that carry handcuffs everywhere they go "in case they need to make a citizen's arrest." IMHO that's just begging for trouble and is not something I would ever do without literal Devine intervention

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    that's just begging for trouble
    I’ve had to talk a table full of grown men out of placing themselves directly into trouble - which was none of their business - simply because they wanted to “use” the skills they learned in their shooting class.

After all... what good is the thrill of “winning” a FoF scenario if you can’t use it to foolishly bolster your own sense of righteous indignation and adventure?

I don’t mean to be harsh, but I must be.

Slightly off topic I understand, but I took the opportunity of a tangent.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I’ve had to talk a table full of grown men out of placing themselves directly into trouble - which was none of their business - simply because they wanted to “use” the skills they learned in their shooting class.

After all... what good is the thrill of “winning” a FoF scenario if you can’t use it to foolishly bolster your own sense of righteous indignation and adventure?

I don’t mean to be harsh, but I must be.

Slightly off topic I understand, but I took the opportunity of a tangent.
    I don't think you're being harsh. The only reason I haven't flat out told my coworkers that they are IDIOTS is because I'd be the one going to HR. I tried telling a couple of them that carrying handcuffs might not be CGBP but I was told in no uncertain terms to mind my business.

User Tag List