Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 270: No Fail Box Drill

Week 270: No Fail Box Drill

Results may be posted until June 25th, 2018.

Designed by: Chuck Pressburg, Presscheck Consulting
    Range: 10 yards
    Target: Two USPSA Metric silhouettes, with 1" square added to the center of the upper A zone
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 6

This is a variation of the classic Box Drill, created by Chuck Pressburg. The original Box Drill is to draw and shoot one target with 2 COM, a second target with 2 COM, that same second target with 1 CNS, and then the first target again with 1 CNS. Chuck's variation is to make the CNS target extremely tight, add par times, and require 100% hits.

Start loaded with at least 6 rounds, and holstered. Set up the two targets at 10 yards, spaced 5' apart. On the start signal, draw and fire 2 COM to the first target, 2 COM to the second target, 1 CNS to the second target, and 1 CNS to the first target, in that order. The COM zone is the full lower A-zone. The CNS zone is the 1" square at the center of the upper A-zone.

The drill is scored Pass/Fail. To pass, you must have: 100% hits, the COM shots done under 2.5 seconds, and the total drill done in 6.0 seconds or less.

See Chuck's video and full explanation here:

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun and holster used
    Pass or fail
    Raw time for the 4 COM shots
    Total raw time
    How many hits
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gun and holster used
    G19-5 concealed AIWB in a DSG Orion
    Pass or fail
    Fail, Fail, Fail
    Raw time for the 4 COM shots
    3.57s, 3.54s, and 4.33s
    Total raw time
    6.00s, 12.84s and 6.15s
    How many hits
    -1B -2H (3/6), -1B -2H (3/6), -1B -1H (4/6)
    Anything you noticed
    I ran this drill three times. This drill is REALLY tough. I knew it would be wishful thinking for me to meet the 2.5s PAR for the four body shots, especially with how infrequently I actually practice transitions, but I thought I’d come a little closer than I did. The head shots were ridiculously hard too. I only hit the little 1” square once. My skill level isn’t where it needs to be to have a hope of passing this drill.
    During my second run I had four in the gun, an empty mag in my mag pouch and a mag with only two rounds in it in my back pocket. I did not know this ahead of time. Needless to say, there was a really long pause between my 4th and 5th shots.

Would love to see @Mr_White run this a few times to see how it should be done with irons.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Before I posted it I tried a few times. Didn't put it together clean - kept dropping one of the paster shots. Great challenge. Props to Mr. Pressburg for shooting it clean on video the way he did. I'll try to remember to give it another go before the drill is closed.
    Lord of the Food Court

Ill be running it Friday, looking forward to it kicking my butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drill is just ridiculous, but video was definitely worth watching.

Thanks for posting these drills, but could you please (at least in the first time it is mentioned) give the full wording of anything abbreviated? I don't know what CNS or COM means.

Thanks
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Felt like torturing myself tonight, sooo,

Gun and holster used USPSA gear G17MOS
    Pass or fail Fail
    Raw time for the 4 COM shots 2.70
    Total raw time 4.60
    How many hits All Body hits, No paster hits.
    Anything you noticed Times listed were for first run. I ended up running it ten more times. By the 6th time I was making the body shots every time under the 2.5. I never did make the paster shots though. Out of 11 runs I only hit the paster once. Had a hard time slowing down to take the head shots after rushing the body shots. All of my total times never exceeded 5 seconds. After running the drills I fired a mag at the paster. Out of 15 rounds only 5 hit the paster and that was with no time limit.
    Last edited by MVS; 06-20-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Gun and holster: Beretta CenTac, Milt Sparks 55 BN, shot from concealment.

Pass/Fail: Fail

Was able to get all body hits in the A Zone in the allotted time, 2.5sec’s. On my 3 attempts I hit the 1” paster a total of 2xs, not in the same run.

After running the drill 3xs, I loaded up 5 rounds and slow fired at the 1” paster, hitting it 4xs. The drill is doable, will just take more practice.

The drill requires you to exactly know your holds for the ammunition your using. I will definitely keep this drill in my practice rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Thanks for posting these drills, but could you please (at least in the first time it is mentioned) give the full wording of anything abbreviated? I don't know what CNS or COM means.

Thanks
    CNS = Central Nervous System, meaning head shots (in this drill, the 1" square)
    COM = Center of Mass, meaning body shots (in this drill, the lower A-zone)

Sorry, had not occurred to me to explain those....

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Felt like torturing myself tonight, sooo,

Gun and holster used USPSA gear G17MOS
    Pass or fail Fail
    Raw time for the 4 COM shots 2.70
    Total raw time 4.60
    How many hits All Body hits, No paster hits.
    Anything you noticed Times listed were for first run. I ended up running it ten more times. By the 6th time I was making the body shots every time under the 2.5. I never did make the paster shots though. Out of 11 runs I only hit the paster once. Had a hard time slowing down to take the head shots after rushing the body shots. All of my total times never exceeded 5 seconds. After running the drills I fired a mag at the paster. Out of 15 rounds only 5 hit the paster and that was with no time limit.
    Quite honestly, I thought the 1" square shots at 10 yards to be a little ridiculous. I mean, that's rough equivalent to requiring a person hit a 2.5" square at 25 yards. I would think there are plenty of gun/ammo combinations that aren't even going to reliably do that, even with no human error added. Nevertheless, trying very hard things is great. And that's why I was pretty impressed at Chuck Pressburg hitting all the shots in his video. Dot helps no doubt, as does any nice trigger stuff he has in there, but still...that's REALLY burly.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    CNS = Central Nervous System, meaning head shots (in this drill, the 1" square)
    COM = Center of Mass, meaning body shots (in this drill, the lower A-zone)

Sorry, had not occurred to me to explain those....

Quite honestly, I thought the 1" square shots at 10 yards to be a little ridiculous. I mean, that's rough equivalent to requiring a person hit a 2.5" square at 25 yards. I would think there are plenty of gun/ammo combinations that aren't even going to reliably do that, even with no human error added. Nevertheless, trying very hard things is great. And that's why I was pretty impressed at Chuck Pressburg hitting all the shots in his video. Dot helps no doubt, as does any nice trigger stuff he has in there, but still...that's REALLY burly.
    IIRC this drill was in response to his “no fail” 25yd draw and fire a single shot video on a B8 Bull. Some people had made comments because his time was 2.5ish and it wasn’t very hard....or something to that effect.

Next week, he posted this drill. Haha

Last edited by TCFD273; 06-21-2018 at 09:21 PM.

User Tag List