Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rural West Texas Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I’m a little surprised they didn’t have 30-30 or some 12 ga.
    No 30-30. I was surprised at that as well. I didn’t list the shotgun shells in my first post. They had about 6 to 8 boxes of assorted 12 gauge bird shot for either quail or dove. Two boxes of 20.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    22-250 and 7mm mag are also popular.
    I've always liked .22-250. I imagine 6.5CM will grow for the younger generation too. It's a fine cartridge for that kind of work.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I’m a little surprised they didn’t have 30-30 or some 12 ga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I suspect that .30-30s are more of an eastern woods round. Back in the day, .30-30s and Ruger .44 Magnum carbines were very popular in the Northeast.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I suspect that .30-30s are more of an eastern woods round. Back in the day, .30-30s and Ruger .44 Magnum carbines were very popular in the Northeast.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    As were Marlins in .35 Remington.

30-30 is, or at least was quite popular as a GP carbine round in South Texas. Unlike the area the OP is in, most hunting around here is in hilly and / brush country so long shots are less common. Most shots here stand to feeder are < 100 yards.

Yeah, I wasn’t thinkin about all that flatland out thar. Were if ya stand in the bed of yer truck ya can see Kansas.

In the country that I dwell in you can get thirty-thirty or 12 ga in some convenience stores.

In the small town I live close to my pharmacy is starting to sell ammo and maybe guns.

I’m not sure what to think about that. One can get their meds to quieten the voices or just listen to the voices an skip the meds an get some ammo. But ya know maybe havin the pharmacist as a ammo salesman might prevent the sales to the voices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    No 30-30. I was surprised at that as well. I didn’t list the shotgun shells in my first post. They had about 6 to 8 boxes of assorted 12 gauge bird shot for either quail or dove. Two boxes of 20.
    My travel carbine these days is a Brockman 30/30 along with a 12ga. The one thing I tend to be able to find anywhere is both 30/30 and 12ga., even if it isn't premium ammo (which is why I still like my Vang barreled guns or chokes on the shotguns). if nothing else, Walmart seems to always have both as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Damn the iPhone Typos!
    My first centerfire firearms was a Marlin 336, gifted to a 10-year old who was (at that time) growing up in east Texas. I still didn't use it much, I preferred a shotgun for most any work, but I still have the 336. I keep threatening to send it to Lew Bonitz, but his list has gotten so long that my (non-existent nor not-yet conceived nor not-yet planned) child may get it for their 10th birthday...

In the small town I live close to my pharmacy is starting to sell ammo and maybe guns.

I’m not sure what to think about that. One can get their meds to quieten the voices or just listen to the voices an skip the meds an get some ammo. But ya know maybe havin the pharmacist as a ammo salesman might prevent the sales to the voices.
    At least your local meth cookers can get their sudafed and ammo simultaneously. Nice and convenient!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My travel carbine these days is a Brockman 30/30 along with a 12ga. The one thing I tend to be able to find anywhere is both 30/30 and 12ga., even if it isn't premium ammo (which is why I still like my Vang barreled guns or chokes on the shotguns). if nothing else, Walmart seems to always have both as well.
    I've switched entirely over to the break-down "50-state legal" M48 Topper that I did up last fall. Because 12-gauge everywhere. I break it down and toss it in a small duffel bag and keep a 10-round box of Hornady TAP 00, 5-round box of Brennekes in the bag, and four rounds of buck and a single slug in the buttcuff. I toss a single round of buck in the pocket of my "shoot me" concealment vest.

If I can't solve the problem with 6 slugs, 15 rounds of double-aught, and a pistol with three spare mags...I'm jolly-well fucked.

Name:  IMG_2453.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  26.0 KB
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-27-2018 at 02:47 PM.

I was like "oh cool, another member from west TX", but then I saw it was central TX, and far, far east of the Pecos :-)

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Location, location, location...

I was toting a nice 300BO pistol around as a travel gun. Did that for a few years while making the 4-state trek with the first college youngin’. Nice non descript canvas violin case. Worked well. That was the ticket right up to the time I forgot the spare mags one trip. Finally found a box of FMJ at a Sheels 950mi later.

This fall starts two more with twice the travel. Besides the pistol, the long gun will be a Mossberg or a ‘94. The past 6-8mo I’ve taken a casual inventory as I travel around my area. I’ve yet to stop in a WalMart or rural hardware store that doesnt have 12ga of somesort or a dusty box of 30-30 on the shelf. This plan may not work if I was travelling through WY (well...I dunno...maybe it would) but for the areas I drive it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Great minds think alike. I’ve been sporting a Savage 340 bolt action in .30-30/Benelli Nova 12 Gauge for a while. Currently considering upgrading to a .308 or .30-06 with an optic. The Savage only has a receiver sight.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List