Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rural West Texas Ammunition

Rural West Texas Ammunition

I’m in rural West Texas about 70 to 80 miles northwest of Abilene visiting family. Went in to the hardware, lawn equipment, kitchen supply, and clothing store (an old fashioned general store without the food). While there, I checked out the ammo on sale. .243, .270, and 30.06 was all that was available. They had .22 of course. Handgun ammunition consisted of one box of .40 and a couple of boxes of .45. Pickins are slim out this way.

Thought I would share with the group. The lack of selections tickled me, especially the absence of 9mm.
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I’m in rural West Texas about 70 to 80 miles northwest of Abilene visiting family. Went in to the hardware, lawn equipment, kitchen supply, and clothing store (an old fashioned general store without the food). While there, I checked out the ammo on sale. .243, .270, and 30.06 was all that was available. They had .22 of course. Handgun ammunition consisted of one box of .40 and a couple of boxes of .45. Pickins are slim out this way.

Thought I would share with the group. The lack of selections tickled me, especially the absence of 9mm.
    Despite being in the city, I order from S&G when ever possible.

I'm a good ways south of you but IME in many parts of rural TX handgun calibers under .4 which don't include "magnum" are seen as a slight against ones masculinity.

Hopefully the DPS switch to 9mm will change that.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Despite being in the city, I order from S&G when ever possible.

I'm a good ways south of you but IME in many parts of rural TX handgun calibers under .4 which don't include "magnum" are seen as a communist plot.

Maybe the DPS switch to Germano-pellet will change that, but not likely.
    FIFY
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    My last trip into the depths of TX for a funeral (friend buried in the family spot), we stopped at a local BBQ and the local law came in with chromed 1911s I felt insignificant with my pellet gun concealed under my nice duds.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    My last trip into the depths of TX for a funeral (friend buried in the family spot), we stopped at a local BBQ and the local law came in with chromed 1911s I felt insignificant with my pellet gun concealed under my nice duds.
    All things outside of the cities in TX require a 1911 in .45 (and most things inside the cities too).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-26-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    I’m a little surprised they didn’t have 30-30 or some 12 ga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I’m a little surprised they didn’t have 30-30 or some 12 ga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Out that way not many .30-30s. Plenty of shots at longer distances that make the .30-30 pretty irrelevant, every rancher I've seen out that way has a bolt gun .270 or .30-06 with a 3-8x or 4-10x scope on top.

One Little Kiss then Felina Goodbye

I can't hear west Texas without it invoking Marty Robbins...

On topic: ...bullets...
    Last edited by blues; 05-26-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post

This is a very fine example of why Finn Aagaard was such a practical "no-nonsense" kind of man, and his advise on choosing a 30-06 for a non reloader is as valid today as it was back in the day. You can go virtually anywhere in the Wild West and find 30-06. Plus when squared away men like Mr. Aagaard and Phil Shoemaker alike state (not verbatim, but that is the punchline) that the 30-06 will get it done if the rifleman truly a rifleman, then that is all one really needs to know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Out that way not many .30-30s. Plenty of shots at longer distances that make the .30-30 pretty irrelevant, every rancher I've seen out that way has a bolt gun .270 or .30-06 with a 3-8x or 4-10x scope on top.
    22-250 and 7mm mag are also popular.

User Tag List