Thread: FBI Report on Active Shooters, 2016-2017

FBI Report on Active Shooters, 2016-2017

I didn't see this anywhere else, apologies if it's a dupe.

FBI Report: Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2016 and 2017

(Also available for download here.)

The FBI defines an active shooter as one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area. Implicit in this definition is the shooter’s use of one or more firearms. The active aspect of the definition inherently implies that both law enforcement personnel and citizens have the potential to affect the outcome of the event based upon their responses to the situation.
    ...Excluded from this report are gang- and drug-related shootings and gun-related incidents that appeared not to have put other people in peril (e.g., the accidental discharge of a firearm in a bar).

Summary: There were 50 "active shooter" incidents in 2016 and 2017; of these, 20 met the FBI's definition of "mass killing".
    Twenty of the 50 incidents met the criteria cited in the federal definition of “mass killings,” that is, “three or more killings in a single incident.”
    There were 943 casualties "excluding the shooters."
    13 LEOs were killed, and 20 wounded.
    13 shooters committed suicide, 11 were killed by police, and 8 were "stopped" by citizens.
    Citizen Engagement and Casualties
    In 10 incidents, citizens confronted the shooter. In eight of those incidents, one or more citizens safely and successfully acted to end the shooting.
    ■In four incidents, unarmed citizens confronted or persuaded the shooter to end the shooting. In twoincidents,17 school staff confronted and restrained the shooter. In one incident, the citizen used his car to thwart the shooter. In one incident, the citizen persuaded the shooter to surrender via telephone during a police chase; she ran up to the shooter’s car as he came to a stop and pulled him out of his seat, bringing the chase to an end.
    ■In four incidents, citizens possessing valid firearms permits successfully stopped the shooter. In two incidents,20 citizens exchanged gunfire with the shooter. In two incidents, the citizens held the shooter at gunpoint until law enforcement arrived.
    ■In one incident, a citizen possessing a valid firearms permit exchanged gunfire with the shooter, causing the shooter to flee to another scene and continue shooting.
    ■In one incident, a citizen possessing a valid firearms permit was wounded before he could fire at the shooter.
    Last edited by Drang; 05-28-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: add link
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Summary: There were 50 "active shooter" incidents in 2016 and 2017; of these, 20 met the FBI's definition of "mass killing".
    Unpossible! I keep hearing that there have been more than a thousand school shootings just this year alone, and more kids have died in school shootings this year than the total number of Americans killed in World War II.

In two incidents,20 citizens exchanged gunfire with the shooter.
    I think they may have picked the wrong place to shoot up.

Name:  active-shooter-incidents-us-2016-2017-p03.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  35.5 KB

Facts and statistics have (seemingly) done little to convince or dissuade.

It's like trying to have a reasonable discussion with a hogg pig.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Facts and statistics have (seemingly) done little to convince or dissuade.

It's like trying to have a reasonable discussion with a hogg pig.
    That's because facts don't matter when they don't further The Narrative, good sir.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    That's because facts don't matter when they don't further The Narrative, good sir.
    Exactly. Why let the truth ruin a perfectly good tale?

As we've seen time and time again, the victors get to (re)write history...this is a battle we cannot afford to lose.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

As an aside, I posted that at work, kind of rushed, and did a poor job of editing. For example, random numbers* in the text refer to footnotes, I tried to delete them, but missed a few.

*Which is not a deliberate reference to @Tamara's cat! (Or is she Roberta's cat? Can't tell the cats without a playbook...)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List