Thread: Northern Virginia PF Mountain Bike Group Ride(s)

Site Supporter

Northern Virginia PF Mountain Bike Group Ride(s)

Trying this again now that Summer is approaching and the weather is theoretically warming up.

I'm aware of at least 5 area mountain bikers on this board. Let's get some group rides going. Schedule/Frequency TBD by participants, but I was thinking a weekend and/or weekday (after work) option. As for the trails, Wakefield (+Accotink), Difficult Run, maybe Conway Robinson, and Fountainhead. I'm willing to include Elizabeth Furnace as an option if the participants are inclined to tackle it.

Anyway, if you're interested, post here. My work schedule is skewed to the early part of the day, so I'm generally free by 3pm or 4pm. My preference for an initial "get to know us all" ride would be Wakefield/Accotink as there's a mix of trails there and enough to keep us from doubling back over the same trails over and over (a la Conway Robinson).

We'll probably need to give the trails a few days to dry though. With all the rain we've had lately, they're quite saturated.

Chris

@JV_ ...
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I can hit Conway almost any evening, rolling as early as 5:15, I'm very flexible on that one.

I can ride almost anywhere/anytime on Fridays, and on Saturday mornings.
    Last edited by JV_; 05-29-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JV_ View Post
    I can hit Conway almost any evening, rolling as early as 5:15, I'm very flexible on that one.

I can ride almost anywhere/anytime on Fridays, and on Saturday mornings.
    We'll have to schedule something if things ever dry out. :| According to my coworker, Wakefield was getting there, then we got more rain...

Conway is going to take longer. I've seen it nasty in spots there a week or more after a rain in the middle of Summer.

Chris

For evenings, I'm fairly limited to Wednesdays during the week, though I do participate in a MORE-led kids group ride with my son on Mondays at Wakefield and could go off on my own with any of you if interested. (BTW, if any of you have kids who ride it's really a fun group and I'm happy to provide more details).

Conway is super easy for me to get to as well. I'm also interested in hitting Meadowood and maybe Quantico. I've barely been able to ride, mostly due to schedule and wet trails, but would be happy to suffer along at the back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Conway is going to take longer.
    I was there on the 21st and there wasn't a dry spot to be found.

Site Supporter
    If an evening works out, but Conway is too wet, I have an alternative that's local and easy. It's not technical, but it's a fun XC loop. It's not well known ....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    For evenings, I'm fairly limited to Wednesdays during the week, though I do participate in a MORE-led kids group ride with my son on Mondays at Wakefield and could go off on my own with any of you if interested. (BTW, if any of you have kids who ride it's really a fun group and I'm happy to provide more details).

Conway is super easy for me to get to as well. I'm also interested in hitting Meadowood and maybe Quantico. I've barely been able to ride, mostly due to schedule and wet trails, but would be happy to suffer along at the back.
    I'm not familiar with Meadowood, I'll have to look it up. I haven't been to Quantico in nearly 10 years. That last ride was one set up and led by Scud.

I haven't done much mountain biking myself this year. I think I've put a grand total of 50 miles on my mtb since the Fall. I've been riding the road bike more, mainly due to weather and time constraints.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I was there on the 21st and there wasn't a dry spot to be found.
    It was drying out the week before. That's the problem with Conway, but the time it's nearly dry, it rains again.

Chris

Site Supporter
    If an evening works out, but Conway is too wet, I have an alternative that's local and easy. It's not technical, but it's a fun XC loop. It's not well known ....
    That works too.

Chris

User Tag List