Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NRA Sues Over WA Anti-Gun Intiative

NRA Sues Over WA Anti-Gun Intiative

NRA-ILA | Washington: NRA Files Legal Challenge Against Misleading Ballot Title for Gun Control Initiative

Yesterday, NRA filed a legal challenge in the Thurston County Superior Court objecting to the misleading and inadequate ballot title for Initiative 1639, which seeks to further restrict the Second Amendment rights of Washington's law-abiding citizens. The Thurston County Superior Court will review all legal challenges before the ballot title and summary can be finalized for the initiative.

Initiative 1639, filed by Michael Bloomberg’s front group, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, is an egregious attack on Second Amendment freedoms and comes just months after failing to enact their gun ban agenda in Olympia. Proponents of this 22-page initiative will have until July 6th to get 259,622 valid signatures to place the initiative on the November ballot.

Please spread the word to your family, friends, and fellow gun owners about this latest attack on self-defense rights in the Evergreen State! Help protect Second Amendment rights in Washington and decline to sign this initiative petition.

The proposed initiative, if passed, would do the following:

• Require a 10 Day Waiting Period for Commonly Owned Rifles. All semi-automatic rifle purchases and transfers would be subjected to a waiting period of 10 business days.
    • Establish a Government Registry of Firearms. Current law states the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL) “may” keep copies of pistol purchase applications. The proposed initiative would instead require the DOL to keep copies of these purchase applications, and would expand this government registry to include semi-automatic rifle purchases.
    • Require Completion of a Training Course to Purchase Rifles. This initiative would also require all purchasers of semi-automatic rifles to show they have completed a firearm safety training course within the last five years in order to proceed with the sale.
    • Impose up to a $25 Purchase Fee (GUN TAX) for Semi-Automatic Rifles. The Washington Department of Licensing would be allowed to charge up to a $25 fee for each semi-automatic rifle purchase.
    • Require Gun Owners to Lock Up their Firearms or Face Criminal Charges. Individuals would be required to lock up their firearms or potentially face a criminal charge of “Community Endangerment Due to Unsafe Storage of a Firearm” if the firearm is accessed by a prohibited person or minor. This intrusive proposal invades people’s homes and forces them to render their firearms useless in a self-defense situation by locking them up.
    • Restricts Adults Aged 18-20 from Acquiring Modern Rifles. Adults aged 18-20 would be prohibited from purchasing semi-automatic rifles and would not be allowed to receive them through a transfer or loan. The proposed initiative would deny a segment of law-abiding adults from access to the most modern and effective firearms for self-defense, thus depriving them of their constitutional rights.
    • Require “Warnings” for Firearm Purchases. All firearm purchases would come with a notification about the “inherent risks” of firearm ownership as an attempt to further stigmatize firearms.

Again, please spread the word for your family, friends and fellow gun owners about the latest attack on Second Amendment rights in Washington. Your NRA-ILA will continue to keep you updated on the status of the initiative, so please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org.
    EDIT to add: I have no idea what the chances are of this lawsuit getting the initiative yanked. I suspect the idea is that at best it will tie it up in court and prevent it being on the ballot, but that the NRA doesn't actually expect that to happen. Instead, they hope to drum up a lot of publicity which will pay of in the long run.
    Last edited by Drang; 05-26-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Meanwhile...

NRA-ILA | West Coast Plutocrats Target Washington State Gun Owners… Again

Washington State’s would-be oligarchs are attempting to buy Evergreen Staters’ rights again. Four years after West Coast elites dumped $10 million into the campaign for Initiative 594, which criminalized the private transfer of firearms, some of the same plutocrats are spending big bucks to back I-1639, an even more restrictive anti-gun ballot measure.

Gun control advocates and their media lapdogs are mischaracterizing I-1639 as a measure that would merely prohibit the sale of so-called “assault rifles” to those ages 18 to 21. In reality, I-1639 is a wide-ranging initiative that would impose new burdens on all Washington gun owners and severely curtail access to some of America’s most popular firearms.

Stretching the already prevalent misuse of the term “assault rifle” to new extremes, I-1639 defines “semiautomatic assault rifle” as, “any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.” This means that any semiautomatic rifle whatsoever, from an AR-15 to your grandfather’s tube-fed .22LR squirrel gun would be considered an “assault rifle” and subject to severe restriction.

As for those restrictions, all prospective semiautomatic rifle purchasers, regardless of age, would be required to submit to a gun dealer certification that they have completed a firearms training course. In order for the certification to be valid, the course must have been completed within the previous five years. This means that gun owners would be forced to repeatedly take firearms training courses in order to remain eligible to purchase any semiautomatic rifle.

Further, I-1639 would impose a 10 business day waiting period on the purchase of all semiautomatic rifles, extend the Washington State Department of Licensing’s handgun registry to cover all semiautomatic rifles, and authorize a $25 fee to be assessed to semiautomatic rifle purchasers.

In addition to new restrictions on all semiautomatic rifles, I-1639 would also impose criminal liability on otherwise law-abiding gun owners who fail to store their firearms to state standards.

For more on I-1639, click here.

According to articles from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Associated Press, at a May 21 luncheon hosted by the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility, the group received two $1 million dollar donations to support I-1639.

Billionaire Microsoft co-founder and Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers owner Paul Allen was one of the $1 million donors. The other was tech venture capitalist Nick Hanauer. Some have labelled Hanauer a hypocrite for his massive contribution, given his purported support for campaign finance reforms.

Reports indicate that mere millionaires were also in attendance. The Post-Intelligencer reported,

[The Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility’s] annual luncheon has become a kind of bidding competition of who can donate the most money… The event yielded three donations of $100,000, two givers of $50,000, three people donating $25,000, seven gifts of $10,000, plus 13 givers coming in at $5,000.
    The identities of these big money donors have yet to be made available on the Washington Public Disclosure Commission’s website.

If history is any guide, even more cash is forthcoming. Billionaire gun control patron Michael Bloomberg personally bankrolled I-594 to the tune of $285,000, while funneling another $2.3 million to the cause through his front group Everytown for Gun Safety. Hanauer dumped $1.3 million into the Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility to support the measure, while Allen contributed $500,000. Former Microsoft CEO and current Los Angeles Clippers Owner Steve Ballmer and his wife Connie together spent more than $1 million to strip Washingtonians of their rights and were joined by fellow Microsoft Billionaires Bill and Melinda Gates, who gave more than $1 million combined. Rounding out the mega-contributors was Ann P. Wyckoff, widow of lumber magnate T. Evans Wyckoff.

With this deluge of billionaire cash, gun control advocates were able to outspend gun rights supporters by a margin of more than 10 to 1.

Despite the lopsided financial support that gun control initiatives receive from anti-gun tycoons, gun rights supporters should not lose hope. In the face of massive anti-gun spending in a series of background check initiatives, grassroots efforts by gun rights supporters have been able to shift public opinion on the topic, with the pro-gun position faring far better in election day results than the opinion polling touted by gun control supporters.

Case in point: Question 3 in Maine.

A little more than a month out from the 2016 election, a Portland Press Herald Poll showed that 61 percent of Mainers favored so-called universal background checks, with only 33 opposed. At the same time, gun owners faced what Reuters called an “avalanche of money,” where they were outspent 5 to 1. On Election Day, Maine’s gun rights supporters beat back the gun control effort 52 to 48 percent.

In explaining to the New York Times why the measure failed, Mainers for Responsible Gun Ownership Campaign Manager David Farmer said,

We know for a fact we lost the argument at the kitchen table and the bar and the bowling alley…The gun enthusiasts were talking to their friends and relatives and neighbors. They felt about it in a way that was so passionate that they won those one-on-one encounters, and they were very successful in bringing in people to their side.
    Facing another “avalanche of money” Washington gun owners will need to muster the same sort of grassroots enthusiasm that carried Maine gun rights supporters to victory and has repeatedly shocked pollsters.

To find out what you can do to preserve firearms freedom in the Evergreen State, please visit https://www.nraila.org/grassroots/.
    NOTE: I did not copy over all the links.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

NRA-ILA | West Coast Plutocrats Target Washington State Gun Owners… Again

Washington State’s would-be oligarchs are attempting to buy Evergreen Staters’ rights again. Four years after West Coast elites dumped $10 million into the campaign for Initiative 594, which criminalized the private transfer of firearms, some of the same plutocrats are spending big bucks to back I-1639, an even more restrictive anti-gun ballot measure.
    Facing another “avalanche of money” Washington gun owners will need to muster the same sort of grassroots enthusiasm that carried Maine gun rights supporters to victory and has repeatedly shocked pollsters.

Funny how conservatives were all "money is speech" and for "money in politics" and celebrating Citizens United, until Leftist billionaires started pouring money into gun-owner-control legislation and ballot initiatives.
    Last edited by BCG; 05-26-2018 at 10:40 AM.

I grow weary of the left side of the state coming up with this stuff. And Bloomberg... that guy is the ultimate busybody.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BCG View Post
    Funny how conservatives were all "money is speech" and for "money in politics" and celebrating Citizens United, until Leftist billionaires started pouring money into gun-owner-control legislation and ballot initiatives.
    We're not arguing that their speech should be restricted. It's a news piece to show how little "grassroots" their side has even though they claim Americans fully support all of their measures. It's also supposed to show how gun owners can defeat initiatives through hard work and actual grassroots support even where we are heavily outspent.

Washington: Court Orders Amendments to Misleading Ballot Title
    Yesterday, in a defeat for Attorney General Bob Ferguson and Initiative 1639 proponents, the Thurston County Superior Court sided in part with the NRA and found that certain parts of the ballot title were deceptive and misleading. As a result, they ordered amendments to several key provisions of the initiative’s ballot title. While the ballot title remains inadequate to inform voters of the real effects of the initiative, the outcome of yesterday’s hearings did result in clarifying changes that more accurately describe the sweeping provisions of the initiative’s text.

With the title for Initiative 1639 now finalized, proponents of this 22-page initiative will have until July 6th to get 259,622 valid signatures to place the initiative on the November ballot.

As previously reported, NRA filed a legal challenge in Thurston County Superior Court contesting the ballot title language as prepared by anti-gun Washington State Attorney General Bob Ferguson. Yesterday, the court held a hearing on the legal challenges filed by NRA and other petitioners.

Some of the changes included:
    • Changing “enhanced” background checks to “increased”. Initiative 1639 would require state background checks on all purchases and transfers of commonly owned semi-automatic firearms.
    • Added “allows fees” to the description. The proposed initiative would allow the Department of Licensing to charge a $25 purchase fee (GUN TAX) on transfers of semi-automatic rifles.
    • Clarified the description for the storage mandate provision. If passed, Initiative 1639 would criminalize firearm owners that store firearms in a non-compliant manner if they are accessed by a prohibited person or minor.

Initiative 1639, filed by Michael Bloomberg’s front group, the Alliance for Gun Responsibility, is an egregious attack on Second Amendment freedoms and comes just months after they failed to enact their gun ban agenda in Olympia.

Your NRA-ILA will continue to keep you updated on the status of the initiative, so please stay tuned to your email inbox and www.nraila.org .
    Glenn Reynolds

CCRKBA SAYS COURT BALLOT TITLE CHANGES TO WA GUN INITIATIVE A ‘SMALL VICTORY’
    Friday, June 8th, 2018

BELLEVUE, WA – Court-ordered changes to the ballot title of Initiative 1639, the Washington State gun control measure sponsored by the Seattle-based Alliance for Gun Responsibility, amount to a “small, but significant victory,” the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said Thursday.

CCRKBA and its sister organization, the Second Amendment Foundation, were supporting the ballot title challenge filed by Glen Morgan, a private citizen. A Thurston County Superior Court judge ordered changes in the ballot title language Thursday.

“The court’s changes show that the original ballot title needed work,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb. “It also suggests some bias in the Attorney General’s office for approving the original ballot title language. Attorney General Bob Ferguson’s endorsement last month of I-1639 smacked of bias, and we’re happy the court made changes that at least somewhat clarify what this extremist measure really would do.”

The new ballot title language reads as follows: “This measure would require increased background checks, training, age limitations, and waiting periods for sales or delivery of semiautomatic assault rifles; criminalize noncompliant storage upon unauthorized use; allow fees; and enact other provisions.”

“The court-altered language is not ideal,” Gottlieb observed, “but it does clarify that I-1639 includes age discrimination and that it criminalizes noncompliance and mandates a waiting period on the purchase of a legal firearm. This measure treats all gun owners, especially young adults, like criminal suspects. In short, Washington prides itself for being against discrimination, except when it comes to gun ownership. Then principle is sacrificed for political correctness, and social prejudice becomes acceptable.”

Paid signature gatherers, many who are from out-of-state, are already lining up to push this initiative over the weekend, he said. They have just under a month to collect more than 259,000 valid signatures.

“We encourage all people to take the time to actually read this 30-page initiative before considering adding their signature,” Gottlieb said. “The devil is always in the details, and you can find out more about this devil at decline2sign1639.com.”
    Glenn Reynolds

These notices have started going out:
    ACTION ALERT - DON'T SIGN I-1639

Today a Thurston County judge approved some highly biased ballot language for I-1639; the newest billionaire-backed gun control initiative aimed directly at infringing on your ability to purchase, own, and protect yourself with a firearm -- even in your own home.

You'll likely see people as soon as this evening gathering signatures for the I-1639 ballot measure. These are paid operatives that get paid a lot of money to gather these signatures! Many of these folks are from out-of-state and will often lie about these initiatives simply to get signatures and get paid. I-1639 is a 30-page initiative and obviously most people will not read it before they suckered into signing.

The high-paid consultants and billionaires behind I-1639 are running an unethical scam and it's our civic duty to alert the public to it.

Your Mission: Decline to Sign I-1639!

Tell the same to your friends and family. And where you see these signature gatherers, you should definitely exercise your First Amendment Rights and tell others not to sign this highly deceptive and controversial initiative. There is no law or court decision against doing this if you're simply talking to people in a public place, ie., in a park, or outside the entrance to a store. You can find plenty of reasons to oppose this initiative in my first I-1639 alert posted on Monday.

If we get just a few hundred people out there at each of the locations debunking the paid operatives and warning people not to sign, we can actually shut them down! They need over 259,000 valid signatures from voters by July 6. If we can stop them, then this deceptive initiative will not be eligible to be on the ballot.

Don't give up the fight!
    This is from an outfit calling itself "Save Our Security", which I never herd of until this started.

We saw some fragmentation of effort during the I-594 battle, and I can't believe it helps.
    Glenn Reynolds

Saw a guy with a table outside the local organic grocery today, hawking for signatures. He didn’t seem pleased with my response.

Site Supporter
    This happened to us in Nevada - badly worded, misrepresented by out-of-state signature gathers. "You want to keep children safe from gun violence, don't you?" Makes me sick to my stomach.

It passed in Nevada by only about 1%, mostly from liberals that are overtaking Southern Nevada. The only problem is that they didn't understand Nevada law and wrote it so that the Feds had to do a background check. The Feds wouldn't do it and so they wasted millions for nothing.

User Tag List